Author Topic: Why did you leave Northern Ireland during the Troubles?  (Read 18215 times)

welder

Re: Why did you leave Northern Ireland during the Troubles?
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2017, 07:08:10 AM »

Good morning Bernie, his Father, my GF, a docker, died in Purdysburn Hospital 1940

GB was at war he left Belfast to work for Wimpey in England , never returned (to my knowledge)-

He met and married my Mother b1929-d1994 in Newcastle
If the fates decree you're going to lose give them a damn good fight...

McNamee

« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2017, 09:43:35 AM »
Thanks Welder, I was just wondering.... :)

welder

« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2017, 10:24:05 AM »

:-* You're welcome I've few if any secrets these days  :-*
If the fates decree you're going to lose give them a damn good fight...

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2017, 12:04:36 PM »

:-* You're welcome I've few if any secrets these days  :-*
Welder, there is something about this forum that wants to make you tell  everything,  it's like  living next door to your neighbour and standing talking over the fence, one thing about this forum you get all the help and support you need ..  Liz :-*
sixtyniner

misssmyth1

« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2017, 01:01:21 PM »
I left Belfast in 1970 age 19 to come to London.. I had a job lined up and temporary accommodation so It made it easier for me to do so...  I left because of the 'Troubles'  did not want to get caught up in any of it as some friends had .. while going to work one day people were throwing bricks and bottles at the bus very frightening   the last straw was my friends parents who were a different religion to me telling me that i couldn't come to their home anymore or associate with their daughters as they were 'OK'  with it but other people were not!!!   no regrets, better life and better prospects and live in freedom to associate with anyone i chose ... Although I did worry about my family and friends every day...It was the right thing for me to do although some 'friends' said I was running away .. I was lucky I had a choice to leave voluntarily and not be forced out.. my heart goes out to all who were and to all who lost loved ones

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2017, 06:49:34 PM »

I left Belfast in 1970 age 19 to come to London.. I had a job lined up and temporary accommodation so It made it easier for me to do so...  I left because of the 'Troubles'  did not want to get caught up in any of it as some friends had .. while going to work one day people were throwing bricks and bottles at the bus very frightening   the last straw was my friends parents who were a different religion to me telling me that i couldn't come to their home anymore or associate with their daughters as they were 'OK'  with it but other people were not!!!   no regrets, better life and better prospects and live in freedom to associate with anyone i chose ... Although I did worry about my family and friends every day...It was the right thing for me to do although some 'friends' said I was running away .. I was lucky I had a choice to leave voluntarily and not be forced out.. my heart goes out to all who were and to all who lost loved ones
Hi MS,  that is such a shame when you have to leave your own country but you had to do what was best for you no matter what anyone said.  we left because of the troubles and came to Canada in 74, now were we running away, could not say or care less but my husband's life was more important .  anyway  you made a better life for yourself.  Liz :-*
sixtyniner

misssmyth1

« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2017, 11:11:14 PM »
thanks Liz glad you understand ...we are all in charge of our own selves ..as said no regrets, and cant live by everything others say although did understand people left  or did not leave for many different reasons ..i was one of the lucky ones as  had an opportunity and was encouraged by my forward thinking parents who told me that if things didn't work out I always had a home to come back to. that gave me courage and confidence. at age 19.... My lovely dad said ...what did I fight in a world war for if it wasn't for' Freedom'..  I thank goodness that I was brought up with an open mind, tolerance ,self worth and to be a strong 'female' my mum was a bit of a woman's libber (in her own quiet way)   LOL    and I like to think I am similar ... don't ever need to shout ,scream but get it done ...  quite often it is only at a later date in our lives that we appreciate everything that we were taught. I worried all the time about my loved ones but at the same time so glad that I wasn't there  ...i still remember my friends who were murdered and wished that i could have got them away sooner but I was young and struggling quite a bit myself to stay afloat financially.. until  quite a few years later when i did  better at making a  good Living ..life was so much more expensive in London-----   still is but I couldn't put them up as sharing a flat with friends and couldn't do it... we had many happy times and lotsa  fun although broke by the end of the month most times but things did get better and better and better -  thank goodness ... I was never 'homesick' once phoned my mum from a phone box once a week briefly  to let her know I was 'still alive' ..we couldn't afford a phone in our flat as the connection fee was astronomical.. i thought with the money i was earning' 7 times what I was earning in Belfast ' that I would be rich what a shock ...rent ,bills, travel card, food, never mind clothing we all had part time jobs in wine bars, hotels ,bars, but had fun and got fed too, made great pals learned a lot and grew up.....as said no regrets

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2017, 08:27:10 PM »

thanks Liz glad you understand ...we are all in charge of our own selves ..as said no regrets, and cant live by everything others say although did understand people left  or did not leave for many different reasons ..i was one of the lucky ones as  had an opportunity and was encouraged by my forward thinking parents who told me that if things didn't work out I always had a home to come back to. that gave me courage and confidence. at age 19.... My lovely dad said ...what did I fight in a world war for if it wasn't for' Freedom'..  I thank goodness that I was brought up with an open mind, tolerance ,self worth and to be a strong 'female' my mum was a bit of a woman's libber (in her own quiet way)   LOL    and I like to think I am similar ... don't ever need to shout ,scream but get it done ...  quite often it is only at a later date in our lives that we appreciate everything that we were taught. I worried all the time about my loved ones but at the same time so glad that I wasn't there  ...i still remember my friends who were murdered and wished that i could have got them away sooner but I was young and struggling quite a bit myself to stay afloat financially.. until  quite a few years later when i did  better at making a  good Living ..life was so much more expensive in London-----   still is but I couldn't put them up as sharing a flat with friends and couldn't do it... we had many happy times and lotsa  fun although broke by the end of the month most times but things did get better and better and better -  thank goodness ... I was never 'homesick' once phoned my mum from a phone box once a week briefly  to let her know I was 'still alive' ..we couldn't afford a phone in our flat as the connection fee was astronomical.. i thought with the money i was earning' 7 times what I was earning in Belfast ' that I would be rich what a shock ...rent ,bills, travel card, food, never mind clothing we all had part time jobs in wine bars, hotels ,bars, but had fun and got fed too, made great pals learned a lot and grew up.....as said no regrets
well MS,  what you've just told us is the same story for many who left NI.  why is it we are full of guilt.  I had a chance to go to Spain as a aupier , I know it's not spelt right but the word is sort of nanny.  anyway it never came about for many reasons , guilt for leaving my parents and not being here to  help etc.  how they filled us full of that.   ::) glad you're doing  well .  have you ever came home again. I think if I could have afforded it I would have more often and then I would not have been homesick so much.  anyway take care...Liz :-*
sixtyniner

misssmyth1

« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2017, 12:31:24 PM »
Liz when my parents were alive I went back once/ twice a year and brought husband and  my daughter after got married .. they were always so glad to see us and we got family together in our home i didn't like to go out especially after daughter was born afraid of being in wrong place at wrong time..only went to visit family/ friends ..then when Mum passed away we brought my dad here for 3 months he could have stayed as long as he liked but he missed his own home and friends but when he came he stayed for long periods his choice to come and go as he chose.. husband and him got on so well and daughter loved having her grandad here...happy memories. but when he passed away we only went back weddings and sometimes funerals ..but last time was over 3 years ago and we have no intentions of going again for any reason...People come to us and we can have them stay as have plenty of room for them..  as I mentioned I never got homesick. i was always very independant and as mentioned encouraged by my parents to be so...I had to do the right thing for me and not a single regret just sadness for the friends I lost and for all the peoples that got killed maimed lost their businesses lost loved ones got caught up in the troubles in any way ..A friend told me i was a mug to pay such a high price for my first property as she could buy a house in belfast in a good area for fifth  of the price i pointed out to her that I wouldn't have got such a good job to enable me to buy anything in Belfast, and although i may live in a' good area' but would still have to go about my business all over Belfast and perhaps not survive to enjoy my house..I didn't want to argue with her as might offend she chose to stay and survived at least physically but mentally I can see even if she cant that she has been greatly effected...as most people knew someone who was hurt in some way the marches are still going on there is still bigotry still segregation still pain and hurts remembered..As stated i was happy in Belfast growing up and glad to have been born brought up there but with my parents being so forward thinking and encouraging It did give me 'the get up and go' to move onwards and upwards     wherever i chose to live...My granny used to tell me to reach for the moon and my favourite aunt told me to follow my own path what great people to have around me...
I enjoyed the great music venues in Belfast and the brilliant artists  when i lived there lucky us

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2017, 03:04:46 PM »

Liz when my parents were alive I went back once/ twice a year and brought husband and  my daughter after got married .. they were always so glad to see us and we got family together in our home i didn't like to go out especially after daughter was born afraid of being in wrong place at wrong time..only went to visit family/ friends ..then when Mum passed away we brought my dad here for 3 months he could have stayed as long as he liked but he missed his own home and friends but when he came he stayed for long periods his choice to come and go as he chose.. husband and him got on so well and daughter loved having her grandad here...happy memories. but when he passed away we only went back weddings and sometimes funerals ..but last time was over 3 years ago and we have no intentions of going again for any reason...People come to us and we can have them stay as have plenty of room for them..  as I mentioned I never got homesick. i was always very independant and as mentioned encouraged by my parents to be so...I had to do the right thing for me and not a single regret just sadness for the friends I lost and for all the peoples that got killed maimed lost their businesses lost loved ones got caught up in the troubles in any way ..A friend told me i was a mug to pay such a high price for my first property as she could buy a house in belfast in a good area for fifth  of the price i pointed out to her that I wouldn't have got such a good job to enable me to buy anything in Belfast, and although i may live in a' good area' but would still have to go about my business all over Belfast and perhaps not survive to enjoy my house..I didn't want to argue with her as might offend she chose to stay and survived at least physically but mentally I can see even if she cant that she has been greatly effected...as most people knew someone who was hurt in some way the marches are still going on there is still bigotry still segregation still pain and hurts remembered..As stated i was happy in Belfast growing up and glad to have been born brought up there but with my parents being so forward thinking and encouraging It did give me 'the get up and go' to move onwards and upwards     wherever i chose to live...My granny used to tell me to reach for the moon and my favourite aunt told me to follow my own path what great people to have around me...
I enjoyed the great music venues in Belfast and the brilliant artists  when i lived there lucky us
MS, I think you were lucky to have such people in your life that supported you, not everyone does, but you made a good life for yourself and that's all that matters now.  I just wish I could have gone home more oftener than I could but no use crying over spilled milk.   having family to keep in touch with , Belfast has grown to be a great place now for  music venues and other things.   they seem to  be out there in the lead with many things, and have caught up with  lots of countries concerning food etc.  what most of us miss I think is the Belfast accent.   I know from friends on here that if we hear one in a store , we/I have ha. made our way over to see who it is..and I've even made contact with them and enjoyed having a conversation with them.   well time to move...take care...Liz :-*
sixtyniner

RebeccaK

« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2017, 01:02:37 PM »
Hello all, I am currently researching emigration from Northern Ireland between 1969 and 2017, and I would be very grateful if some of you would consider telling me your story.

I originally posted on the Noticeboard section, and will add the link to that post here: http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,71018.0.htm

Any contributions will be treated as anonymous and in complete confidence, unless you wish for it to be otherwise.

My research relates to the coherence between conflict, emigration, unemployment and segregation, and to what degree these factors influence each other. This will be in relation to an earlier research of mine abou the Belfast peace walls, which you can read here: http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,66092.0.html

An aspect of this new research project will be conducting research on emigration during and after the Troubles. I am currently looking for people who left Northern Ireland between 1969 and 2017 who would be willing to share their story with me.

If you wish to respond, or if you wish to offer assistance with this project, please do so either on this post:
http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,71042.0.html

Or contact me on my Belfast Forum profile via PM: http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=24824

Apart from my own reasons for conducting this new academic research project, it would be an opportunity for you to document your own experiences and to make a small contribution to Belfast and Ulster history. Thanks in advance!