Author Topic: Golf in the north of Ireland  (Read 5974 times)

Christopher

Golf in the north of Ireland
« on: June 13, 2006, 08:50:49 PM »
Belfast Clubs
Balmoral
Belvoir Park
Dunmurry
Fortwilliam
Knock
Malone
Mount Tober
Ormeau
Rockmount
Shandon Park

Co. Antrim Golf Clubs
Ballyclare
Ballymena
Bentra, Carrickfergus
Cairndhu
Royal Portrush
Whitehead

Co. Armagh Golf Clubs
Co. Armagh Golf Club
Tandragee

Co. Derry Golf Clubs
Castlerock
City of Derry
Portstewart
Roe Park

Co. Down Golf Clubs.
Ardglass
Clandeboye Golf Club
Holywood
Kirkistown Castle
Royal Belfast
Royal Co. Down
Temple Golf & Country Club
Warrenpoint

Co. Fermanagh Golf Clubs
Enniskillen

Co. Tyrone Golf Clubs
Dingannon
Killymoon
Newtownstewart

Golf Clubs with no website
Banbridge
Bushfoot Golf Club - Portballintrae
Cushendall
Greenacres, Ballyclare
Moyola Park, Castledawson
Strabane
The Spa, Ballynahinch

Golf Driving Ranges
Bradshaw's Brea, Newtownards.

Christopher

Re: Golf
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 09:02:28 PM »
Wow! What a view! I have been compiling a list of Belfast Golf Clubs. I thought I would have a look at the Belvoir Park Photographs. There is one of a view over the course looking over the city. All I can say, quoting from the musical "Half a Sixpence" is "Crash, Bang, Wallop - Wot a picture, wot a photograph"

Christopher

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 04:12:58 PM »
The four o'clock News announced that the European team beat the US team in the Ryder Cup being held over the past few days at the K Club in Co. Kildare. Europe have now beaten the US three times in a row.

EllCee

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 05:22:42 PM »
There is also Gilnahirk Golf Club

And if you are going to include Royal Belfast at Cultra, there's Holywood Golf Club
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 05:38:31 PM »
There is also Gilnahirk Golf Club

And if you are going to include Royal Belfast at Cultra, there's Holywood Golf Club

Sorry, Les, I omitted Gilnahirk.
There's no Golf Club at Cultra ... that's a Yacht Club. OK Holywood deserves a mention.

EllCee

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 06:06:16 PM »
"There's no Golf Club at Cultra"

Is it at Craigavad then?
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Christopher

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 06:13:15 PM »
"There's no Golf Club at Cultra"

Is it at Craigavad then?

Turn left some distance past the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum. There used to be a shop prior to the turn. Go down the road and turn right. If you go straight ahead you arrive at "Lorne" which is used by the Girl Guides.

pentio

Re: Golf in the north of Ireland
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 07:22:46 PM »
Christopher

some more Golf Clubs you have missed

Belfast.  Cliftonville

Co Antrim. .Larne, Carrickfergus ,Massereene Allen Park,Ballyclare , Galgorm Castle, Greenacres and Greenisland Golf Clubs

Co Down. .Scrabo, Carnalee, Bangor, and Donaghadee

pentio.

EllCee

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 08:51:43 PM »
Co Down also has Blackwood, nr Clandeboye, Clandeboye nr Conlig, and Helen's Bay GC.

giannineo

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 09:18:54 PM »
Mahee Island was my favourite.Outstanding views around Strangford Lough.There once was a course at Bright Castle.Made on farmland it was rough and ready,There was a barn where you could have a pint from a barrell powered by a foot pump .A table had the glasses set out and I think there was an honesty box to pay.
   When the Spa was a 9 hole course there was a wee wodden pavilon with a wooden honesty box and a supply of brown envelopes to put your fee in before posting the dosh in the box.

EllCee

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 10:13:25 PM »
"Mahee Island was my favourite"

I played my very first game of golf at Mahee.  I was playing with someone else's bag of clubs and balls.  I lost 12 balls off the first tee, most into the water, and finally took the thirteenth and threw it down the fairway as my first (13th) shot.

I have never played there since.

Mind you, I haven't played golf since the early 1980s, mainly because anyone I knew who played had no patience to tolerate my poor playing.  They were all playing, and getting better, every week, while I was working in Libya and perhaps being able to play only once every 5 or 6 weeks and not improving at all.

giannineo

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 12:08:47 AM »
Indeed Les. .Mahee is kinda surrounded by water and I lost many a golf ball there.It wasn't so bad as my father was a member at Spa and got a bag of balls from the greenkeeper for a quid for me.I loved the hole where you played over a hill and rang a bell as you went over the hill to let the people behind know you were on the far side of the hill.
           My father was an all weather golfer and devised an idea to help find his ball when the Spa fairways were covered in daisies ,seagull feathers or frost or snow.He obtained wee pots of florescent paint and painted the balls(golf) in pinks, oranges,lime greens.People at the Spa ribbed him about this seemingly eccentric idea.Soon after I think it was Uniroyal who brought out the first coloured golf balls...if only my father had patented the idea.He did
have patents on some car alarms and helped design the Kojak style lamps for Police cars.The first lamps adhered to the car roofs by magnet and would fall off at high speed.He wired the lamps with an electromagnet which plugged in to the cigar lighter in the car and held fast at top speeds.
        As for the golf;I gave up around 1990 as I was basically rubbish at it.Shame as I am spoilt for golf courses around here....Carnoustie and St. Andrews within 30 minutes.Have played both badly.

eastender

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 11:30:42 PM »
People want to know how much you care, before they care how much you know.

Christopher

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 03:37:25 AM »
Paul Gray, the pro at Holywood Golf Club, and his assistant Stevie Gordon are running a Young Masters Golf Teaching Project starting on 25thNovember. It's about the etiquette, playing and rules of the game. There will be fun challenges and mini competitions and it's hoped that more young talent will emerge at Holywood Golf Club.

dureti

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 06:04:27 PM »
Carrickfergus, is good ive played there once and i enjoyed it.