Author Topic: Golf in the north of Ireland  (Read 5971 times)

giannineo

Re: Golf in the north of Ireland
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2008, 09:53:42 AM »
My father was possibly the first golfer in Northern Ireland to have coloured balls ::)

BigAgiesMan

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2008, 10:13:03 AM »
Right Collie I have talked to both the GUI and Shandon Park, and have almost drawn a blank, but not quite. The GUI Ulster Branch have no records, but they said that the GUI headquarters in Dublin may have something.

Nobody I spoke to in Shandon knwew anything as all the staff I spoke to weren't born in the 60s Apparently though in Shandon a few years ago one of the senior members had a lot of info which he put onto a DVD and gave to the Club. According to the pro shop it is 'knocking around somewhere', and was last seen in the hands of Greg Bailey who is the Club General Manager. He is on holiday but due back next Monday Tlf. no for Shandon is 02890805030.

The only other possibility is Brendan Edwards who was branch secretary of the GUI up until a couple of years ago, and he is a long time  member of Shandon Park. His oul joints are giving him problems so he's not around an awful lot these days. He is also on holiday but when he gets back I'll make contact with him as I know him quite well, and I'll pick his brains

BigAgiesMan

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2008, 10:14:38 AM »
My father was possibly the first golfer in Northern Ireland to have coloured balls ::)

Were you the result?  :idiot2: O0 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o

giannineo

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2008, 10:29:43 AM »
The oul fella worked for the Police and obtained fluorescent paint used to paint fire engines and Police cars...he painted his balls  in these bright colours for use on frosty days and summer days with daisies and brid feathers on the fairways of the Spa golf club. .this caused great amusement to fellow members.....a short time later the Uniroyal company started selling  such coloured balls. ..I was the result of a much earlier shot :-[

Collie

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2008, 03:43:34 PM »
BAM, thanks for your help.
Harry Middleton was the Club Captain at the time.  I'm pretty sure he lived on Gilnahirk Drive.
Sadly I can't remember the name of the Caddy Master.  He had us all sit on a bench beside the Putting Green.  If he seen anyone move off it they were put to the end of the line (unless they were going to spend some money at the club shop, which we weren't allowed into).

We would caddy on Sat & Sun for 2 & 6 a round, lucky if we got 2 rounds in.

Christopher

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2008, 05:02:38 PM »
Collie,

There may be something useful in these golf websites.

www.golfshake.com/forum

www.irishgolfarchive.com/index.htm

www.irishgolfarchive.com/Magazine.htm

Christopher

Christopher

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2008, 10:48:41 PM »
Sarah Stirk interviews Rory McIlroy on the Setanta Sports' Out of Bounds golf programme.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=U8cFLIbq3q4

Plenty

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2009, 07:05:30 PM »
Anyone looking for golf balls take a look at this site

www.tilly-missgolf.com

More golf balls and colours of ball anyone ever needs,now also available in vending machines.

Christopher

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2009, 04:10:43 AM »
An Administrator was appointed to look after the affairs of Blackwood Golf Course Limited on 25th November last year.