Author Topic: St Pauls Primary School, Mica Drive, Belfast  (Read 3574 times)

lavertyg

St Pauls Primary School, Mica Drive, Belfast
« on: March 06, 2010, 07:21:39 PM »
Does anyone have any memories of this school in the mid 1960's and a teacher who used to relentlessly suck on Trebor Mints !! In fact many a times he would ask one of us pupils to go to the nearest shop to get his some ? In fact are Trebor mints still around ??

Deetsy

Re: St Pauls Primary School, Mica Drive, Belfast
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 08:21:29 PM »
I don't know the teacher but I remember it alright. Mrs Barry was one of my teachers,her hubby was Gerrry Barry.I liked Mr Mc Grew the best.A brilliant teacher he lived in Iris Drive although Jimmy Peel was good. He give me a book because I got high marks in some test. It was "Hound of Ulster" and he even signed it. I still have it.Jimmy lived above a shop at the bottom of the Sprinky Road. What did you call the wee house shop up Mica Drive you went round the back to get served, was it Grays?

Bosbert

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 10:40:50 AM »
There were a couple of 'house shops' in Mica Drive Deetsy; Hartleys, McNallys, but I suspect the one you are referring to would have been Betty Brennans. Deetsy? Mr McKenna I presume? ;o)

chink

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 12:52:34 AM »
I don't know the teacher but I remember it alright. Mrs Barry was one of my teachers,her hubby was Gerrry Barry.I liked Mr Mc Grew the best.A brilliant teacher he lived in Iris Drive although Jimmy Peel was good. He give me a book because I got high marks in some test. It was "Hound of Ulster" and he even signed it. I still have it.Jimmy lived above a shop at the bottom of the Sprinky Road. What did you call the wee house shop up Mica Drive you went round the back to get served, was it Grays?
mr and mrs barry taught myhusband   deetsy did you come from the springfield road

Ráichéal

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 02:00:16 PM »
Do you happen to know if St. Paul's have kept their school records? I believe my Grandad attended the school between the years 1919-1927. It would be interesting to know if there are any records from this time.

Thanks

bhelena

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 02:15:26 PM »
Does anyone have any memories of this school in the mid 1960's and a teacher who used to relentlessly suck on Trebor Mints !! In fact many a times he would ask one of us pupils to go to the nearest shop to get his some ? In fact are Trebor mints still around ??
Yes Trebor mints are still around also in extra strong :scratch_ones_head: :scratch_ones_head: :scratch_ones_head:

salento

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 10:24:31 PM »
I went to St Paul's from 1965 till 1972. Gerry Crean taught me in 1972 when he became headmaster. I first started in Cavendish Square and went to Mica Drive in P3 when it was the new school. I recall Mr and Mrs Barry, Mr McSherry, Ms Hanna who became mrs McCoy, Mr Fitzpatrick was headmaster, Mr McGoldrick, Mr Hughes. And I recall the shops and many other details.

salento

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 11:00:36 PM »
Does anybody remember going to St Paul's Primary Mica Drive in the 1960s when I went there?

desmond2020

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 03:49:40 PM »
 Anyone recall me ! Reading, with interest the posts about the house shops, and some of the old teachers. I don't recall names alas or faces.

My story, pulled out in 1975, never got to say goodbye, basically parents moved, so i guess I left June or so of 75 aged 10.  What classes was I in and who with. Was good at running thou. Otherwise it just a memory but its my 1st school so close to my heart.

Looks like no posts on here for a while but you never know.

The school when am viewing it looks exactly the same !! history needs to written down that school has seen some things they should get a book or something. Those mobiles, the families  who used the school one time must be early 70s  wasn't teacher arrested bombs, guns under the mobile or is that just a false memory: love to get a feel for the time line.
Desmond Knox, ex Broadway, yes it did have a shop mid way at no 52 : now shared house I note.