Author Topic: Who do you know from the New Lodge  (Read 380513 times)

sj

Re: Who do you know from the New Lodge
« Reply #2370 on: March 27, 2018, 08:51:06 AM »
   Hello Sam---I have to tell you you are wrong
 about the smoking bit !
            Patrickville was indeed at the bottom end of NLR.
            And I went there on a regular basis , but I wasn,t much cop  on the tables.
            And probably the biggest offender at smoking at the tables was your Uncle Jim !
             He used to hang over the table , fag in mouth with an inch  of ash balanced on the end of it.
                  Didn,t seem to worry Jim O Hara or Pat Mc Stravick
                               Sean

Surely not John??? :)   It might have been my uncle Pat who played a lot of snooker there and in Berry St.
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

johnmc

« Reply #2371 on: March 27, 2018, 11:21:34 AM »

Sorry Sam , you are quite right. It was Pat. Should have remembered that . I also knew him from Sawyers

Sean

sj

« Reply #2372 on: March 27, 2018, 01:42:03 PM »

Sorry Sam , you are quite right. It was Pat. Should have remembered that . I also knew him from Sawyers

Sean

We are all getting old???? :)

Bread Basket

« Reply #2373 on: March 27, 2018, 06:23:36 PM »
Johnmc

Do you remember the cardschool room in the corner of Patrickville.  your eyes used to sting with the amount of cigarette smoke 😭😭😷😷🤮🤮

johnmc

« Reply #2374 on: March 28, 2018, 03:55:21 AM »

Hello BB---I didn,t sit in on the schools  but I remember Cracky boyle was a big player.
                         Maybe Jim O Hara collected  dues from every hand played
             This was 65 years ago so as you might guess some things are a wee bit vague !
                As you may have gathered from a previous post !
                                johnmc

Bread Basket

« Reply #2375 on: March 28, 2018, 09:04:23 PM »

Hello BB---I didn,t sit in on the schools  but I remember Cracky boyle was a big player.
                         Maybe Jim O Hara collected  dues from every hand played
             This was 65 years ago so as you might guess some things are a wee bit vague !
                As you may have gathered from a previous post !
                                johnmc

Not quite 65 for me more like 50 to 55 years ago lol
Did you ever play Mugs Pool on the tables.  3 lives and you were out

johnmc

« Reply #2376 on: March 29, 2018, 03:12:30 AM »

I think in my day It was only played on a sunday. and I mosty had other things to do on that day
                    Like a dander over the cavehill  etc.
             Just a comment on NLR.
             I have been back for visits since 1980  , walked up and down the Road on different occasions and didn,t see anyone I knew.
                   Was Patrickville still open then?
                                            johnmc

Bread Basket

« Reply #2377 on: April 01, 2018, 10:36:09 PM »
Donít know johnmc.  last time I was in Patrickville was probably about 1968ish.
Transferred my skills to the Bakers in Upper North St

boxer1949

« Reply #2378 on: April 02, 2018, 12:20:16 AM »
Donít know johnmc.  last time I was in Patrickville was probably about 1968ish.
Transferred my skills to the Bakers in Upper North St
Spent my youth in the Bakers above the elephant bar Paddy from Bangor was the marker up Boots Begley was the hustler great memories

Kevin Ward

« Reply #2379 on: April 06, 2018, 06:10:58 AM »
Hi there  .Kevin Ward originally from 14 Dawson st.....just found this site and have read through it all.....anyone remember Minnie Lindsey from Dawson st.

Kevin Ward

« Reply #2380 on: April 08, 2018, 04:23:25 AM »
Just wanted to add that I used to knock about with John Arthur's from lepper st.....anyone seen or heard of him. I also knew lots of others from Ashton st...walbeck st  .Sheridan st.....I went to Barney 66  .70/71 ....all the best ...Kevin.

sj

« Reply #2381 on: April 08, 2018, 05:16:10 AM »
Just wanted to add that I used to knock about with John Arthur's from lepper st.....anyone seen or heard of him. I also knew lots of others from Ashton st...walbeck st  .Sheridan st.....I went to Barney 66  .70/71 ....all the best ...Kevin.

Kevin. .welcome to the Belfast forum. .try the subject  titled " St Patricks or Bearnageeha , on this thread.  It might be on page two.    Good luck. :)

Kevin Ward

« Reply #2382 on: April 08, 2018, 06:05:39 AM »
Thanks SJ. .have already been on the barney thread....had a brief pm with Barney Bhouy.....the John Arthur's I mentioned actually went to st malachys...I used to hang around the halidays rd in late sixties early seventys with Geordy Simpson...hughie simpson....and a few others. I was in Belfast last year for a while and met up with geordy and couple of others....I just found this site and have enjoyed reading through it.....all the best ...Kevin.

Bread Basket

« Reply #2383 on: April 08, 2018, 10:37:08 AM »
Thanks SJ. .have already been on the barney thread....had a brief pm with Barney Bhouy.....the John Arthur's I mentioned actually went to st malachys...I used to hang around the halidays rd in late sixties early seventys with Geordy Simpson...hughie simpson....and a few others. I was in Belfast last year for a while and met up with geordy and couple of others....I just found this site and have enjoyed reading through it.....all the best ...Kevin.
I knew a Geordie Simpson, he ran St Patís football team and also The Minstrels.  was he the father of the guy you knocked about with?
I was at Barney from 65 to 71.  1b,2b,3b,4b then GCE7 (I think) 🤣

Kevin Ward

« Reply #2384 on: April 08, 2018, 10:54:40 PM »
Hi Bread Basket. .the simpsons were connected with simpsons grocery shop at trainfield st and new lodge.....they also ran the greyhounds....and knocked about with Sean Mc Larrnon from the barrack....Sean was living in Dublin and passed away (rip) just a few years ago. There was a girl from Dawson st last name Mccartan or Mc cartney that I remember was with the minstrels.....I spent a bit of time in Patrickville in late sixties...was at Barney 66---70/71 1a..2a..3b..4b...moved to the b stream because old toot was killing me ...he was the only teacher I had a problem with. I got on well with Tony Mc Auley English teacher....had great folk music sessions in his class....anyone remember Louie's chippy at the top of Dawson st and old Gilbert who worked there (Gilbert's eye looking for you)....the best to all....Kevin.