Author Topic: Leaving Northern Ireland.  (Read 13542 times)

giannineo

Leaving Northern Ireland.
« on: March 28, 2007, 08:46:56 PM »
Why and when did you leave and what was your "leaving like".
    I left on a sunny October morning in 1975.Why? I could no longer stand the intolerance of many(no, not the start of a sectarian thread).
     I had 5 jobs in Norn Irn and was raking it in;but I was not happy.
   My father shook hands with me with a tear in his eye as the last of his children left home.
     My V.W. Beetle was packed to the brim and away I went to catch the Ferry from Larne to Stranraer.I stayed overnight near Glasgow with a pal and then set off on the beautiful trip to Inverness by way of Glen Coe.My pal's wife had made me up sandwiches  and the couple  wished me every success in my new start. I was on my own in every sense of the word.
     I arrived at my new home late afternoon at Culloden Moor and was delighted to find a kind landlady and a beautiful cottage converted from a Smiddy.A big bowl of Broth and a beef  casserole warmed me up and Miss Grant the landlady was quick to direct me to the local pub at the Culloden Battlefield.
       I had chosen well after advertising for accomodation in  the Inverness Courier. And so to work the next day. A group practice in Inverness.I had been working solo previously and to have two colleagues on site was marvellous.Bank account opened that lunch hour with the 800 cash I had brought with me. Yip, I was there and no going back that night.Made three weeks wages in my first week compared to the NHS post in Norn Iron.
       Went to Boots the chemists and stood at the door waiting to be frisked....until the penny dropped that I could go in like everyone else without a security check. No enforced parking exclusion zone took a while to get used to....park legally where you like.
         A year on I moved to Dundee area, and so often nearly came back....even went to look at a house at Knock traffic lights in 1982.... big detached house for 15 k.
         What I had originally considered as a working holiday ended up in residency in Scotland.Roots were put down and family dynamics meant I had to stay here,and here I am still.But I am a Belfast boy and 'home' will always be Belfast...."you can get out of Belfast, but you can't get Belfast out of you"...don't know where I heard that.
           And what do I miss about Belfast ? .. the craic and character of the people, the breads the drinks the tangibles,the quick escape to the Mournes, the Down Coast, the Antrim Coast, but have missed  my family and their offsprings growing up more than anything.
    Will I come back? Don't know. .a wee hoose on the Ards peninsula appeals, but I just cannot decide until I retire in 6/8 years time.
          Ah, nostalgia, some say don't stand in the same river twice !
      How about the other exiles much further away?

udini

Re: Leaving Northern Ireland.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 02:51:15 AM »
It was a day in 1975 my wife , daughter and I were walking through Smithfield towards the Shankill. My daughter was in a pram and we stopped to let her look at the animals in the windows of the pet stores in Gresham Street and suddenly a bomb went off in North Street, glass and pigeons were flying everywhere but my daughter never stirred! That made us consider immigration and in 1977 we came to Canada. About 10 years later we had the Commonwealth Games here and the Queen came to open them so we went to the airport to see her arrive. They had a 21 gun salute and my daughter went crazy with the noise, I suppose it was a suppressed memory. Every year after that for the next 5 or 6 years we would go to the Canada Day celebrations and they would let off fireworks and she would sit terrified with her hands covering her ears.
I have always had a job since I came here and in fact have been where I am now for 25 years.Have a lot of good friends and am close(2 hours) to the ocean and the Rocky Mountains.
Would I go back ? Sometimes I say yes others no. I am no longer married but I have been here longer than I was in Belfast, but it is still home. The Ards penisula, Fermanagh sound like good places to me.
Who,what, where,when and why,I think that says it all.

Christopher

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 03:11:50 AM »
Thank's to you for starting this thread giannineo and many thanks to both you and udini for great posts. I look forward to reading a few more. I think most of us miss the auld sod. I had no roots and toured throughout Britain and Ireland with a travelling circus for about eight years. I joined the circus shortly before my fiftieth birthday. I couldn't have settled in Britain. I just had to come back to Norn Ireland. I'd probably have been happy enough anywhere in Ireland but would not have been too happy across the water.   

Mooncoin

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 09:58:25 PM »
Good post, G would you not come home seeing as we are at peace now man.  Chris what did you do in the circus?  was it hard work or was it good seeing the countryside?  I'm still stuck here so no leaving story to tell for me.

giannineo

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 10:20:20 PM »
Mooncoin, my wifes said only today."why don't you go home, you obviously miss the place".
     I don't know, in a few years time I will have to make my mind up what I am going to do in retirement :-\
      p.s. my wife wants to go as well...we will have a look in June when we are there.

sammy toaster

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 11:57:18 PM »
do leave it out g. so this is where the scriptwriters get the insperation?

Christopher

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 04:00:22 AM »
Good post, G would you not come home seeing as we are at peace now man.  Chris what did you do in the circus?  was it hard work or was it good seeing the countryside?  I'm still stuck here so no leaving story to tell for me.

Fairly easy, Mooncoin. Putting posters in shop windows and doing advance publicity. There some PROs could learn a lot about their job by working in a circus for a while. I came across a message from an author today on a site I use regularly who was looking for sites where he could post details about his book so that it sells to a wider public. That's what the internet is about. I looked for some guest houses in the north of Ireland last night ... I found several with webstites but then to my mind they let themselves down a bucket full as they have no links board. If a website has such a board and links to another site which then links back that's good publicity and a great way of reaching a wider audience.

giannineo

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 03:24:42 PM »
Sammy , duh, no understand"leave it out g,so this is where the script writers get their insperation".
     Can you explain to me what you mean please,I am not trying to start an argument , I just do not understand your statement,cheers,G.

Twocoats

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 05:06:37 PM »
Why and when did you leave and what was your "leaving like".
    I left on a sunny October morning in 1975.Why? I could no longer stand the intolerance of many(no, not the start of a sectarian thread).
     I had 5 jobs in Norn Irn and was raking it in;but I was not happy.
   My father shook hands with me with a tear in his eye as the last of his children left home.
     My V.W. Beetle was packed to the brim and away I went to catch the Ferry from Larne to Stranraer.I stayed overnight near Glasgow with a pal and then set off on the beautiful trip to Inverness by way of Glen Coe.My pal's wife had made me up sandwiches  and the couple  wished me every success in my new start. I was on my own in every sense of the word.
     I arrived at my new home late afternoon at Culloden Moor and was delighted to find a kind landlady and a beautiful cottage converted from a Smiddy.A big bowl of Broth and a beef  casserole warmed me up and Miss Grant the landlady was quick to direct me to the local pub at the Culloden Battlefield.
       I had chosen well after advertising for accomodation in  the Inverness Courier. And so to work the next day. A group practice in Inverness.I had been working solo previously and to have two colleagues on site was marvellous.Bank account opened that lunch hour with the 800 cash I had brought with me. Yip, I was there and no going back that night.Made three weeks wages in my first week compared to the NHS post in Norn Iron.
       Went to Boots the chemists and stood at the door waiting to be frisked....until the penny dropped that I could go in like everyone else without a security check. No enforced parking exclusion zone took a while to get used to....park legally where you like.
         A year on I moved to Dundee area, and so often nearly came back....even went to look at a house at Knock traffic lights in 1982.... big detached house for 15 k.
         What I had originally considered as a working holiday ended up in residency in Scotland.Roots were put down and family dynamics meant I had to stay here,and here I am still.But I am a Belfast boy and 'home' will always be Belfast...."you can get out of Belfast, but you can't get Belfast out of you"...don't know where I heard that.
           And what do I miss about Belfast ? .. the craic and character of the people, the breads the drinks the tangibles,the quick escape to the Mournes, the Down Coast, the Antrim Coast, but have missed  my family and their offsprings growing up more than anything.
    Will I come back? Don't know. .a wee hoose on the Ards peninsula appeals, but I just cannot decide until I retire in 6/8 years time.
          Ah, nostalgia, some say don't stand in the same river twice !
      How about the other exiles much further away?

G. Just read this post. Very nice. Well done. You have the exile down to a T. When I get a little more time I will post my experience.
PS. What was the Sammy guy on about. .Coats

Twocoats

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »
Whoops. Reading Sammys post again I think he was saying you were wonderful   Coats

giannineo

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 09:01:26 PM »
C'mon Sammy , put me out of my misery. .what I posted may sound a bit People's Friend ,schmoltzy or Mills and Boon, but that's is the only way I can tell it.
    I just thought I would like to hear who others left Norn Iron, and relate my experience.
    Ireland's greatest export , people !

denmagic

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 09:06:47 PM »
  Irleand's greatest export , people !

Quite true, most of my family escaped from here and are in every continent of the world.  I'm lucky to afford a day trip to Belfast Zoo, so I'll be hanging about for a while.

(_8())

..It's a Kind of Magic!

pentio

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 09:07:04 PM »
Giannineo

Enjoyed  the story magic! when is the next chapter might make a good book. . 8) 8)

giannineo

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 09:41:11 PM »
Aw Den , I'll treat you to a trip to the Zoo and a wee ice cream when you are there.We used to wind up people at work by telling them there was a phone call for them when they were out, and they had to phone back. Aye, to Mr. C. Lyon and gave then Bellevue's number. "I'd like to speak to Mr. C. Lyon please" "aye hold on,I think he's gone out for fish"....the keeper was well used to it  and would just leave the person dangling on the line.
    Yes, it was a  bad thing to do,a nuisance to the Zoo, and I am deeply sorry for my cretinous behaviour..
        I heard people in Belfast saying "The Izoo" instead of Zoo.How awfy common ;D

sammy toaster

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 11:39:53 PM »
Whoops. Reading Sammys post again I think he was saying you were wonderful   Coats
   correct!