Author Topic: Leaving Northern Ireland.  (Read 13592 times)

giannineo

Re: Leaving Northern Ireland.
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 11:43:18 PM »
lol, Sammy, I am a wonderful boring old fart ;D

CAROL-EB

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2007, 12:29:01 AM »
Why and when did you leave and what was your "leaving like".
    I left on a sunny October morning in 1975.Why? I could no longer stand the intolerance of many(no, not the start of a sectarian thread).
     I had 5 jobs in Norn Irn and was raking it in;but I was not happy.
   My father shook hands with me with a tear in his eye as the last of his children left home.
     My V.W. Beetle was packed to the brim and away I went to catch the Ferry from Larne to Stranraer.I stayed overnight near Glasgow with a pal and then set off on the beautiful trip to Inverness by way of Glen Coe.My pal's wife had made me up sandwiches  and the couple  wished me every success in my new start. I was on my own in every sense of the word.
     I arrived at my new home late afternoon at Culloden Moor and was delighted to find a kind landlady and a beautiful cottage converted from a Smiddy.A big bowl of Broth and a beef  casserole warmed me up and Miss Grant the landlady was quick to direct me to the local pub at the Culloden Battlefield.
       I had chosen well after advertising for accomodation in  the Inverness Courier. And so to work the next day. A group practice in Inverness.I had been working solo previously and to have two colleagues on site was marvellous.Bank account opened that lunch hour with the 800 cash I had brought with me. Yip, I was there and no going back that night.Made three weeks wages in my first week compared to the NHS post in Norn Iron.
       Went to Boots the chemists and stood at the door waiting to be frisked....until the penny dropped that I could go in like everyone else without a security check. No enforced parking exclusion zone took a while to get used to....park legally where you like.
         A year on I moved to Dundee area, and so often nearly came back....even went to look at a house at Knock traffic lights in 1982.... big detached house for 15 k.
         What I had originally considered as a working holiday ended up in residency in Scotland.Roots were put down and family dynamics meant I had to stay here,and here I am still.But I am a Belfast boy and 'home' will always be Belfast...."you can get out of Belfast, but you can't get Belfast out of you"...don't know where I heard that.
           And what do I miss about Belfast ? .. the craic and character of the people, the breads the drinks the tangibles,the quick escape to the Mournes, the Down Coast, the Antrim Coast, but have missed  my family and their offsprings growing up more than anything.
    Will I come back? Don't know. .a wee hoose on the Ards peninsula appeals, but I just cannot decide until I retire in 6/8 years time.
          Ah, nostalgia, some say don't stand in the same river twice !
      How about the other exiles much further away?

This is a lovely post.
I can relate to it, because while I was away this place pulled at my hear strings so much I had to come home to the best wee country ever.
You can take me out of East Belfast, but you can't take East Belfast out of me.

giannineo

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007, 12:03:25 PM »
Carol, I sat with my wife and talked re retirement albeit 6/8 years away.
     Various options came up and we might just stay here and become more actively  involved with animal rescue...then we would not have to uproot and could have a month in Ireland every year when I could indulge myself in the fishing off Donaghadee and visit the lovely places all over the North.A month in our beloved Greece every year also.
     Then the nagging desire to return kept creeping in....ach , plenty of time to think about it....glad you have found 'your place',G.

Christopher

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 09:13:57 PM »
This is a lovely post.
I can relate to it, because while I was away this place pulled at my hear strings so much I had to come home to the best wee country ever.

You're dead on about it pulling at heart strings and being the best wee country ever, Carol. What I haven't worked out to date is how the heck does it pull at heart strings and gain the reputation of being "the best wee country ever" There are so many things about the place that could put people off too. It's a bit like a magician showing a great trick but not explaining how the trick is worked. People are able to see so many good points about the place the bad points can be disregarded. There's definitely a lot of myth and magic attached to the "best wee country ever" 8)

giannineo

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2007, 09:45:50 PM »
Christopher,maybe the fact that poverty developed a closeness amongst people who helped each other and the friendliness and kindness is second to none(sounds crazy after the bloodshed and carnage of the "troubles"-but those troubles were brought about by the divide and rule ethos of the rich and powerful ).
    Ordinary people in Norn Irn are more welcoming than anywhere I have been and Greece comes a close second albeit I am not widely travelled.
      My experience of Scotland is that West coasters are more like N.I. people(obvious links of course) than those elsewhere in Scotland.The East coasters are like the weather ..can be cold and somewhat inhospitable.
     N.I. people have the couthiness, to use an old Scots word, a charm and welcome which is something special.And they have a common factor whether Green or Orange... a long history of opression by the landed gentry and owners of jobs and homes and thus the basis of lives.
       Green fields and such a variety of scenery in such a small place gives it everything, and in spite of the rain, a temperate climate.Green is the colour which is easiest on the eye.(and no, not republican green as opposed to Loyalist orange).
     So much which has been disturbed by violence made by "big men" and orchestrated by ordinary people sucked into a situation determined by which hospital bed they were born in.
          Just out of interest Christopher, what drew you back?
    I am undecided about a return but know I can never be really at home except in N.I.

Mero

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 10:46:30 PM »
I loved reading these stories to-night, they brought tears to my eyes, I hope all who want to return get the opportunity to do so. Chris what did you do in the circus,? that sounds like a great thing to do, and are you still with them?  long live Norn Iron , great little country.  :-* :'(  ah , I wanna go home myself....
Think where mans glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends.....W.B.Yeats.

rosefairyone

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 02:34:05 PM »
hey, I guess I qualify.  I was born in the USA, but my dad and mom are exiles. I take that to mean they left for religious freedom.  I was posting that on Youtube and somebody saw it and told me to stay out of Ireland.  I said he could not tell me what to do I live in a secular society, the USA.  I am not afraid to stand up to them.  Of course that is easy to say when I live in the USA.  Anybody who wants to join my Irish club in the USA email me. We make videos on Youtube and tell it like it is. I do not swear, I do not provoke.  I try to reason and it shows teh Yankees what is going on. They (Paddys) are calling me Yankee Irish Girl.
Hines   NY coal drivers, Molly Maguires researcher

debisioux

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 09:15:11 PM »
My folks left here 4 years ago to move to Spain, simply because they could live better out there than they can here. It's a healthier lifestyle, which my stepdad needed as he'd had a massive heart attack and had to take early retirement as a result. ( blood father with a heart transplant & a stepdad with a massive heart attack.  mum really needs to learn to cook better   she has a black belt in cookery you know, one chop and you're dead). Mum &I came over here in '77 from Peterhead NE scotland. My stepdad's family have all moved to Scotland from here and I am here on my jack jones.
When i applied for housing last year someone said i should go abroad and live with my parents. I couldn't leave here. I've been here since I was 6 and a half and I totally adore this place, the people , the culture, the scenery, the craic and the Norn Iron men are the funniest and cutest men in the world ;-)

fulton

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2007, 07:22:06 AM »
I am a new bloke on the forum. I am enjoying reading the storys as to why some of you left N.I.  I left 53 years ago, can't remember why! But I can remember the weather. So I guess I will spend the rest of my day's in sunny Australia.

rosefairyone

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2007, 02:37:08 PM »
Ireland weather is ideal for growing plants. I am doing an Irish garden art study and will go back to look at the plants and castles for sure. In the USA, NY is really partly New Ireland.  NY is largely still Irish American, so we have our own Ireland here.
Hines   NY coal drivers, Molly Maguires researcher

babs44

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2007, 04:50:44 PM »
I would love to go back home and i miss it soo much but i am not in a position to go there due to history.
Living abroad has its advantages and i find the men have more manners than home at least the ones i knew. Going by this forum it looks like not a lot has changed there in that way and it looks like men who have left and come here have got worse. I hope i am wrong.

twocoats

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2007, 04:57:29 PM »
I think you are wrong Babs. What you see in the banter on the TC chatroom is purely banter. I can assure you that the men of whom you speak are nice people. Sincerely. Twocoats
Homophobia, racism, sexism, bigotry and sectarianism is still alive..

debisioux

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2007, 05:10:28 PM »
Ah they're only messing Babs, they're great guys. Northern Ireland's men are the best, they have no choice lol, their ma's would kill them otherwise.

babs44

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2007, 05:14:10 PM »
lol debi
my ma would have slapped the jaws of them too

ballykeel

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2007, 05:16:29 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, Babs44 and Fulton,
Hope you find it amusing and interesting, everyone will be willing to help with any of your queries, and generally we have a guid auld laugh and try to help one another when we can. Hope to see you postin' soon.

Cheers for now Ballykeel :-*
'Love all, trust few, always paddle your own canoe'