Author Topic: JENNINGS - Moffat Street, Harding Street originally from Fermanagh  (Read 1147 times)

Belsizepost

Peter Jennings came to Belfast with his wife Rose Anne and three children Mary Anne, Robert and John  and lived in Hardinge  Street inearly 1900s; ( http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Dock_Ward/Hardinge_Street/136886/

Later some of the family lived in Moffat Street until 1971 inclding Peter, Kathleen. I'm looking to find out some history as I'm related to Mary Anne Jennings. I have found a newspaper article about Cassie Stevenson (nee Jennings) who was involved in a bomb in 1922. She later lived in North Thomas Street.
Does anyone know the Barrs related to the Jennings who also lived in Moffat Street? Any snipits appreciated please....
Belsize

skinnyfella

Re: JENNINGS - Moffat Street, Harding Street originally from Fermanagh
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 10:38:26 PM »
Mary Anne was my grandfather Johns sister. Their brother Robert ( Bobby) lived with his wife Catherine and family in North Queen St. I know Mary Anne, -according to the 1911 census- was married to George Boak and had 3 sons.
The Stevensons from North Thomas Street, we were told were 'Second cousins'. Remember vaguely something about the Barrs living in Moffatt Street. Did the Barr family move to Dublin?   

Belsizepost

JENNINGS - Moffat Street, Harding Street originally from Fermanagh
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 12:22:58 PM »
Hi Skinnyfella,

Thanks for your reply.  Mary Anne was my mother's grandmother, daughter of her youngest son Frank.  I know little of this side of the family and I'm dipping into census records and other sources to find out.  I recently found contact with another grandson of Mary Anne who is a son of her middle son George who left Belfast in 1949. My grandfather, Frank died in 1959 and my mother lost contact with that side of the family.  I live in London and like my other distant cousin, we interested in Mary Anne's life. I'm delighted to hear you are from a branch of the family we know nothing about ie. John Jennings. On a recent visit to Belfast I discovered in the old street directories that the last Jennings to live in Moffat street was in 1971. I have found no trace yet of Mary Anne's eldest son John James Boak and I could not find a death record for him in N. Ireland. He doesn't seem to be around the time of Mary Annes' death in Cranbrook Gardens in 1950.  I discovered George Boak died in 1921 in Gt George's St. His life sounds quite colourful and he seems to have travelled a lot as a sailor and in WW1.
 :smile: 

Cjm175

Re: JENNINGS - Moffat Street, Harding Street originally from Fermanagh
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 01:04:37 AM »
Hi.
I believe Robert could likely be my great-great-grandfather!
The information I have is that he is from Enniskillen originally, married a red-head named Cassie (shortened from catherine). I know they lived in clifton park ave in the 60's before they died, and we had believed they lived in North queen Street but havnt been able to confirm yet.
Robert spent a short time in the army during ww1 but returned home wounded quite soon. They had 4 children, Robert, George, Alice and Kay (kathleen I believe). We think Robert may have passed young, or at least had no children. Their daughters attended our lady of mercy primary school on the Crumlin Road (which is now a tradition in our family)

Their youngest son George is my great grandfather.. I never got much info before he passed but we know Alice's descendants from a few of her children and I know Kay settled in England somewhere