Author Topic: Scotch Pies  (Read 8998 times)

syriana

Re: Scotch Pies
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2010, 02:00:05 PM »
Does anyone remember Belfast pubs in the 1960's having those big chromium pie heaters on the bar?  They all seemed to sell the same type of meat pies similar to Scots pies.  I was very partial to a pie with brown sauce with a pint.  I went to live in England - didn't return for a few years and when I got back they all seemed to be gone.
No answer is an answer.

sj

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2010, 02:06:53 PM »
Cheers SJ, I'll do the same later  :drinks:
You mean musky with a hint of wood and just a little spice  :D

That sounds like a white wine Lilylou but I get the drift...it pours into a glass...Sam
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

BigAgiesMan

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2010, 02:44:57 PM »
Does anyone remember Belfast pubs in the 1960's having those big chromium pie heaters on the bar?  They all seemed to sell the same type of meat pies similar to Scots pies.  I was very partial to a pie with brown sauce with a pint.  I went to live in England - didn't return for a few years and when I got back they all seemed to be gone.

I remember them well. They steamed the pies. That's where I got my fondness for them  :D . They bucked them all out when they started to serve quiches and open prawn sandwiches
Bord na Móna

syriana

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2010, 04:55:59 PM »
Comfort food BAM  - really hit the spot when you were having a few pints.  I was in a pub in Glasgow recently, everybody seem to be ordering pies.  I heard one guy asking for an 'executive pie' which came with baked beans on top.  Egon Ronay eat your heart out.
No answer is an answer.

doare.

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2010, 06:10:37 PM »
syriana i remember the pies, they were on a steamer on the counter top, they came in a wee bag, tehy were called fergusons meat pies, the crust sometimes separated from the meat in the middle lol i remember them being 7d, many a time they were my supper, 2 or 3 of them, with some hp and a fork.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” ....shaw..

syriana

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2010, 07:45:29 PM »
Hi doare,  You're right - Fergusons - I'd forgotten.  God knows what was in them, you're better not being around when they are making sausages or pies.  Why is it that everything that tastes great is bad for you?
No answer is an answer.

sj

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2010, 10:53:43 PM »
syriana i remember the pies, they were on a steamer on the counter top, they came in a wee bag, tehy were called fergusons meat pies, the crust sometimes separated from the meat in the middle lol i remember them being 7d, many a time they were my supper, 2 or 3 of them, with some hp and a fork.

DOARE...YOU ARE INDEED A WONDERFUL PERSON...TRUELY. .I can understand the pie, and the H.P. sauce but why eat the fork or was that extra???? :D

EllCee

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2010, 10:56:40 PM »
"why eat the fork"

Iron supplement  

;)
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

doare.

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2010, 04:27:22 AM »
metal has magnesium and nickel plus iron, they are all necessary trace elemements, lol
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” ....shaw..

sj

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2010, 05:34:07 AM »
metal has magnesium and nickel plus iron, they are all necessary trace elemements, lol

You are well informed . :D

Giannineo

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2010, 08:46:15 AM »
I would have pies in Keenan's and The Morning Star at lunchtime late 60's...nothing like Scotch pies ::)

chancer

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2010, 09:59:07 PM »
hi bought last 4 pies in Andy town Iceland for 75 p before they stopped stocking them ! about 3 mnts ago, cant find any since, though heard co op keep them. Happy Pie Hunting.