Author Topic: What was Kali water?  (Read 28471 times)

grannyspice

What was Kali water?
« on: April 16, 2010, 11:18:01 PM »
I remember selling it when I worked in the confectioners. Mostly on a Sunday morning with the Lemon Sedlitz powders etc so I assume it helped a hangover but what was it made from and what did it taste like? Any one know?

four-stroke

Re: What was Kali water?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 11:44:25 PM »
Kali water was somewhere between distilled water and Tonic water. Whatever else it was used for, it was given to me as a child for stomach ailments and in those days before supermarkets it could only be bought in chemist shops.

homebird

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 12:00:32 AM »
My father still swears by it, just reminds me of sparkling water. Dad claims it cures all stomach ills!

HB ;) 

EllCee

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

ravengirl

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 12:41:46 AM »
I remember selling it when I worked in the confectioners. Mostly on a Sunday morning with the Lemon Sedlitz powders etc so I assume it helped a hangover but what was it made from and what did it taste like? Any one know?

I quite like Kali water! My Gran gave it to me mixed with milk when I was vomiting as a child! I still would use it for the same purpose. It's full of potassium which is good for the heart!!! Maybe that's why I have angina!!!!  :( :( :air_kiss:
Sure God created man before woman, but then again you always make a rough draft before creating the final Masterpiece.

maggiemay

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 08:02:05 AM »
My Father always had Kali water in the house.He suffered from stomach ulcers
May

syriana

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 10:46:14 AM »
My mum has been drinking it for over 60 years.  You can still buy it.  I haven't a clue what's in it, I suppose it will tell you on the bottle label.
No answer is an answer.

grannyspice

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 05:29:41 PM »
Thanks folks for all the info but anyone know where I can buy it? Ravengirl I suffer from low potassium but never realised that Kali water would be beneficial so will give it a go. Hope you are feeling better  :smile:

garrybeg

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 06:19:05 PM »
Very like tonic water/soda water.  My granny said it was good for upset stomachs :scratch_ones_head:

syriana

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 08:34:52 PM »
My mum buys hers in the wee Spar supermarket in Groomsport.  So it should be available at most Spars.  I get it for her sometimes - Cantrell & Cochrane - a big bottle is about £1.
No answer is an answer.

mgwalsh55

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 10:46:43 PM »
 ;) My lemonade man sells it. my we granny used to drink it she said it was good
a sore tummy, and nicer than a bottle of porter her words not mine.

rusty

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 11:19:09 PM »
the maine lemonade man sells it my mother in law gets it every week. Any time any of the family have a jippy tummy we send up for a bottle and it never fails. Tastes like soda water.

belle

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 09:07:18 AM »
my ma used to give it to us for bad stomachs. i think it's a mixture of soda water and tonic water.
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

olelad

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 11:24:08 AM »
havent heard of it in years

time4akip

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 12:32:40 PM »
flippen heck. .haven't heard the word or thought of it in eons. There was always a bottle knocking about in the scullery , never a full one ,always with a couple of inches of water in it. As kids we knew to leave it alone as it tasted flat and off. It was obviously a grown ups tiffle.
The recipe was probably brought back from overseas by the empire troops ,there is a region and river called Kali in India and the potassium based water is good for the old delhi belly.
in the words of d'artagnan.  "Ad Unum Omnes "

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy