Author Topic: Jimi Hendrix  (Read 2021 times)

Stephen

Jimi Hendrix
« on: April 19, 2010, 01:35:50 PM »
I've heard a rumour circulating that JIMI HENDRIX stopped and played an impromptu session in The Hercules Bar, Castle St, on his way to his gig at Queen's here in 1967. I believe this to be nothing more than an Urban Myth (started by guess who...?). Can anyone confirm this nonsense? Or can we safely nip it in the bud and ignore it ?

Syntax

Re: Jimi Hendrix
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 09:52:55 PM »
Sounds like myth to me.  Terry Hooley down at Good Vibrations would certainly be the man to ask.

Giannineo

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 10:50:14 PM »
wrong, wrong, wrong, it was the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra...they had less equipment than Hendrix...he was not in a good mood at Q.U.B. and the support acts were better

See Me

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 11:11:13 PM »
I was in the Hercules a few years ago when there was a great traditional session going on in the corner. Nobody was taking a blind bit of notice, so I doubt if anyone in there would have noticed Jimi Hendrix.

By the way, I was at that concert in Queen's in '67. Jimi played so loud that you would have easilly heard him in Castle Street – maybe that explains the rumour.

Giannineo

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 11:14:18 PM »
jeez aye, he was loud...had to charter a plane to carry the amps and speakers..the whole back of the stage was lined with Marshall speakers stacked about three high

glenb

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 07:38:44 PM »
My brother was at the Hendrixs concert, he and his mates sneaked in through the roof

Giannineo

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 09:16:07 PM »
glenb, they probably passed Jimi Hendrix's brain on the roof :D

Stephen

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 10:43:20 AM »
So I can take it that my suspicions are correct - nothing more than a myth started by someone connected to "The Herc" as a bit of fun. Or self promotion! The Hercules Bar for Christsake!!! How cud anyone fall for that?
A personal friend of mine, God rest him, was Hendrix's taxi driver on the night. By sheer chance. He dined out on it for years. Somehow I think he would have mentioned it had they taken a diversion to a dump in Castle St for a jam session? 
Nice try ...

See Me

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 11:19:36 AM »
A personal friend of mine, God rest him, was Hendrix's taxi driver on the night.
God rest your taxi driver friend.
God rest Jimi Hendrix.
God rest Noel Redding.
God rest Mitch Mitchell.

Bet it's not so quiet up in Heaven anymore. God rest anyone who went up there without a pair of earplugs.

Stephen

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 11:53:30 AM »
Well said, See Me.

How about we start another rumour? Something like, "The Beatles stopped in Beatties chippy on the Shankill for pastie suppers" or "Led Zep had an accoustic warm up in a box in the Crown Bar, got advice from a customer, me, about chord changes to Stairway" or "The Clash did a pub crawl down Sandy Row, got bottled outside The Klondyke".?

See Me

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 01:40:01 PM »
How about we start another rumour?
How about this one:

Rab McCullough's amplifier “got shot” once, a long time ago, on the way to a rehearsal.

spot

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 04:37:36 PM »
So I can take it that my suspicions are correct - nothing more than a myth started by someone connected to "The Herc" as a bit of fun. Or self promotion! The Hercules Bar for Christsake!!! How cud anyone fall for that?
A personal friend of mine, God rest him, was Hendrix's taxi driver on the night. By sheer chance. He dined out on it for years. Somehow I think he would have mentioned it had they taken a diversion to a dump in Castle St for a jam session? 
Nice try ...

that Dump as you call it is one of the busiest bars in belfast and has been for a long time dont think hendrix was there but rab mc cullough played upstairs
Spot

kessboy

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 03:20:13 PM »
Anyone know who brought Hendrix over and which Hotel (or friends house) did he stay in?

I heard a rumor by the way that Elvis played here in 73 and he stopped and in at Kelly Cellars for pint and said Harp 'was stinking'.. it could be true.

glenb

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2019, 04:59:45 PM »
Absolute nonsense.. the Harp in those days was stinking.. strippers up the stairs

Hendrix played at Queens

My bro was there

misssmyth1

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 12:51:17 PM »
I remember seeing jimmy Hendrix play maybe in the  Ulster  Hall 1967 68? could anyone confirm?   a friend took me as  he'd been given tickets. i wasn't a great fan but the concert was amazing a completely different experience for me  as i was more into Soul, Tamla   R&B etc.