Author Topic: Fane Street School Secondary in the 60s  (Read 46327 times)

Mcc

Re: Fane Street School Secondary in the 60s
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2018, 05:59:35 PM »
Bill W
Seems we were in the same class all though school. For the life of me I can't think who you are.
Bill B

Mcc

« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2018, 06:06:43 PM »
Hi Bill B  Nice to hear from someone on the forum I thought everyone had given up it is so long since anyone had posted.
My maiden name was Jean McCurdy some of the girls I was in the class with were Mabel Kerr, Donna Ewing, Brenda Newell, Lavina McCullough.
I enjoyed most of my time at Fane Street School, went to the reunion in the 80s, brought back loads of memories. I actually used to live in Fane Street growing up,
also went to Ulsterville Primary School.

JIM52

« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2018, 08:43:22 PM »

Mcc

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2018, 11:38:02 AM »
Hi Jim B

Thanks for the pics, didn't recognise anyone, where you in the pictures? What years where you at Fane Street?

JIM52

« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2018, 07:18:31 PM »
Hi MCC
I went to Fane Street 64 to 68. Before that I went to Ulsterville Primary School.
I have some photos of Ulsterville.

Mcc

« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2018, 12:18:04 PM »
Hi Jim

Lovely to hear from you. Id love to see the photographs of Ulsterville School. I remember the teachers Miss Apsley, Miss Wallace and Mr Thornton and headmaster Mr Thompson. Pupils John Rankin, Alan Murphy and I think Irene Gillander. Miss Apsley looked like she had stepped out of a Victorian novel and always had a wheat sheaf attached to the blackboard. Miss Wallace I couldn't stand ,horrible teacher. What form where you in at Fane Street I was in 1B and 2B and 3 Com.? Do you mind divulging your surname in case I remember you, its lovely going down memory lane as I no longer live in Ireland but love anything to do with Ireland especially in those years, such happy memories. Jean

JIM52

« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2018, 02:16:07 PM »

Hi MCC
A few photos for you.
Do you remember the shops that’s advertised ?
Will send you a PM later.

Jim.

Mcc

« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2018, 06:17:45 PM »
Hi Jim

Thanks for the photos, I remember most of the shops on the Lisburn Road. I actually used to work round the corner from Edinburgh grocery store in Lorne Street.
Do you happen to remember the little shoe mender near Adelaide Station and of course there was Bob Jebbs, he was such a gentleman, what lovely memories. Nice to be in touch with someone who remembers places from my past I think as you get older it seems more important. Jean

papillon

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2018, 02:41:09 PM »
Hello Jean. I think I recall you. I was going out with Alison Meany, then afterwards Janet Ward in 69/70. Remember Pamela Whyte from Ulsterville Gardens. I had a thing going with pamela all through 69. Wonderful singer and Judy Collins look alike. She was on a BBC TV quiz show representing Fane Street in 70.

Mcc

« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2018, 03:43:16 PM »
Hi

The name Pamela Whyte sounds very familiar, I remember Elizabeth Beatty who lived in Ulsterville Gardens and my friend Irene McCrea also lived there. Its such a long time ago names sound familiar but I don't think I could put faces to them. I no longer live in Ireland but as the saying goes you can take the person out of Ireland but you cant take Ireland out of the person, I have such happy memories of my childhood growing up there. Jean

papillon

« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2018, 09:27:08 AM »
That's lovely to hear. So many people moved away. Some were childhood friends with whom I lost contact and rediscovered on here.

papillon

« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2018, 09:29:49 AM »
Can you remember Anne Harper the French teacher

Mcc

« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2018, 09:50:05 AM »
Hi

Poor Miss Harper she used to have to go outside the classroom to compose herself when she had 2B and popped yeastvite tablets for her nerves, gosh we were horrible back then. The saying went 2B or not 2B do you remember that. My favourite teacher was the Commercial teacher Mr McIlveen. I went to Ulsterville Primary School before Fane Street I'm not sure if the building still exists I know at one time it was turned into a nursery. Belfast has changed such a lot since I lived there.

Jean

papillon

« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2018, 02:25:34 PM »
She was such a lovely person. I was in A & G stream and we gave her a hard time too. Bet she would love my French pronunciation now.

big t

« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2018, 08:44:31 PM »
I went to fane street approximately 57 was in mcilveen class brilliant teacher.
He had a bit of a sadistic side anyone remember his black Friday no one was safe.
Lived in donegal ave remember Rob green as we went on to ballygomartin school together.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy