Author Topic: Fane Street School Secondary in the 60s  (Read 46327 times)

Leslie55

Re: Fane Street School Secondary in the 60s
« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2019, 12:59:43 PM »
What has happened to all the girls in 1970, you have spread all over the world, especially Dorothy Willis husband, he must be a sorry man, she kept Roberta McBride in check we had some lovely well mannered girls in class 3c and 4 c at fane street. I dread going up to the front door this week as I am going to donate £100 to my old school, maybe Linda Adams will open the door an old pretty classmate

Leslie55

« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2019, 02:47:11 PM »
And that old shire Arnold he threw a chalk wiper at me and I turned my back onhlm the whole class he did not know what to do, do any of you remember the brown brothers from lisburn ave a and the Fitzpatrick's from marlboragg ave

Mcc

« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2019, 05:19:37 PM »
Hope you received email.

Leslie55

« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2019, 11:21:32 PM »
To all of you ithank you for the wonderful memories, and to the teachers who put up with us brats in the 1960/ 1970 era and done a wonderful job, and I hope the girls of my class 3c never got abused as I loved them all. It is now 2019 and due to I'll health, my life is short

lilo

« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2020, 04:13:05 PM »
Is there anybody out there?

Old Fane St. pupil here 1966-71. Still in possession of a very good memory and can well remember many of the past pupils mentioned. I can also remember the names and faces of almost all of the teachers of that era.

Anyone home.?

Shylock

« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2020, 10:47:33 PM »
Hi I went to Fane street in the 60s . Was in the same class as Andrew Linton( married Sandra Liggett) , Brian Buchanan, George?? who went around with Brain Hawthorn, Bobby Rogers, David Mc Curry,
Arnold McConnell, Brian McCrea ( joined later).Frankie Mc Farland,  Maureen Maxwell, Pauline Lawther and some others who’s last name I can’t remember,  Linda( boys gave her and her friend a hard time). Also knew Sandra and Silvia Geddis and their cousin Maureen Geddis, Norma Harris, Joan Curry,  David Brown(Hovis). Also lots of others who’s names sadly escape me but whose face don’t. Left after I got my O levels.
Hi Tom,Haven't posted on here in ages -  facebook and messenger are to blame I'm afraid!I remember most  of those names you mentioned and then some!I was in 1A, 2A, 3G and 4G from '65 - '69 I was the shortest kid in the school for the 1st 2 years! There were [I think] several Georges, Maureens and Brians in our class. there was a George Marks as someone else mentioned but can't recall the other surnames. Brians were Brian Hawthorn and Brian McCrae [ I believe the latter is no longer with us and died quite a few years ago when quite young.] The Maureen's were Maureen Maxwell and Maureen Geddis. Other names I recall from then are John Norton, Lawrence Nolan [and younger brother Mervyn] there were a few Linda's too - Linda McCormick with short red hair, and a fringe, Linda Adams, long blonde hair, and Linda Hatton who was nicknamed Sammy [from the footballer!] wondering if you might have any old school photos of the classes you were in? we never got any of them, tho 3 of us all went to same school - photos got a bit pricey when there were multiple kids to buy for!there was another blonde girl with long hair, came in around 2nd form, was originally from Belfast but had spent some time in Canada - can't remember her name but was very pretty. and of course the girl I hung around mostly was Carolin Marks, now married to Steve Stevenson, also friends with Elizabeth Frazer - Carolin and Elizabeth are still good friends and see each other regularly! I am friends with Carolin on facebook and keep in touch that was, as I now live in Australia. I emigrated in '73 married a lovely Aussie in '77, we have 2 daughters and 2 grandaughters, living in country Victoria and feeling the effects of smoke from recent bushfires. tho there's only been a couple of small bushfires near us and they were quenched quite quickly, but the smoke is drifting inland across from the East coast. but we're the lucjy ones, we still have our home and no damage done, while others have lost everything. anyway back to Faney - must try and stay on topic! teachers I recall are Mr. Hutchinson - and his endless notes to take down every lesson, Mr. Smyth who wore a check jacket with leather patches on the elbows, and backcombed his hair, Mr. Thompson taught French - loved his classes. Hated art 'cos I couldn't draw to save myself! still can't! actually failed art in both 2nd and 3rd form!Mr. Sherriff taught science, Mrs. O' Hara taught domestic science, Mrs Benson taught sewing and needlework - loved those classes and still sewing today!Barney Moorhead taught maths, strict but a good teacher, Mr.Beggs  - often known to use a slipper on the boys for misbehaving, lady teacher taught social studies - her name escapes me atm anyway, nice to reminisce - need to go grab some brekky!

lilo

« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2020, 03:42:47 PM »
Martin Donald

lilo

« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2020, 04:09:12 PM »
Hi there Shylock,

Newbie on here, not Tom as you may have thought. I can remember a Tom Connor though ( ginger hair) from around your time. He was also a mate of Brian Hawthorne, Bobby Rodgers, Davy MaCurry, George Marks etc.
Funny enough I bumped into Geordie Marks around 1980 in Canada, think it was Toronto railway station. I was traveling across Canada at the time and he was with some rugby team or other. Small world.

I was wondering about your Shylock name, because I remember reading The Merchant of Venice for a school exam and thought you might have used the name from the play. I can still quote a few lines from it when pushed.

Not sure if we were in the same year or not, pretty close I would say. Had a couple of lovely Linda’s in my class L. Noble, L. Newell, L. McBrien, the latter came from the village and had a sister named Dorothy. You might remember them.

Back to Merchant of Venice.  L. McBrien played the part of Portia in the school play performance in the assembly hall.

Must let you go saying that I spent a few years in your adopted country, over in W.A.

Stay safe

Mcc

« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2020, 05:31:32 PM »
Hi Lilo

Thought everyone had given up on this site.
I was at Fane Street from 1962 to 67 and Linda Noble and Linda Newell and Linda Rosbottom were in my class also Mabel Kerr, Linda Cosgrove, Donna Ewing, Iris Hamilton were a few of the girls I recall.

We went from 2B to 3 Comm with Mr McIlveen doing commercial course, did bookkeeping with Mr Stevens who was really creepy kept trying to entice girls into his store room.

I was friends with Brian McCreas sister Irene for many years and now keep in touch with her daughter.

It is so frightening to watch all the fires in Australia, (stay safe), when did you move there.? I moved to England in 1969 but still go back to Belfast every year. 

The last time I was at Fane Street school was for the reunion which was many years ago, but I have such happy memories of being at Fane Street and Ulsterville School before that, I believe the latter has been knocked down.

Glad to see forum up and running again.

lilo

« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2020, 05:45:50 PM »
Hi there Mcc,

Nice to get a reply, i also thought this link was dead and gone.
Have to tell you that the Linda Newell in your class was more than likely a Brenda, I think they were related in some way, but not sisters.
You were a couple of years ahead of me and will probably remember Jim Spears, Hovis Brown and (Fitzy) David Fitzsimmons who in fact came back to Fane St. as a P.E. teacher in the early 70s.

In one of your previous posts you mentioned a shoe shop at Adelaide Ave. which I remember well. Seems like almost every street had a corner shop in those days.
I will try to name a few heading from Adelaide Ave. towards school.
1- Corner of Adelaide Ave.( near shoe shop)
2- Kimlins . Lisburn Ave.
3-Robinson’s. Surrey St.
4-Ross.Gt Northern St (across from Windsor Drive)
5-Stoney steps (great trade on match days)
6-Bob Jebbs
7-Grahams(Pigs Lane)

At the back of school there was another small shop, known as Lou’s in my day.

I was also a pupil at Ulsterville, in the class of Miss Wallace. I played in the football team run by Mr. Thornton or (Thornty) as we called him (discreetly) Nearby shops around (Edinburgh St  stores and a cute little shop across the street was known as Bingies, where I used to buy my fireman’s hoses.

I sometimes wonder where old school friends ended up. I think we are scattered around the globe.
Will finish off with the immortal words of Archie McBride “You are all ambassadors of Fane Street “

Mcc

« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2020, 09:26:30 AM »
Hi Lilo

Gosh you have a great memory I wouldn't have remembered all those shop names.  Bob Jebbs and Grahams on Pigs Row  which eventually became Smiths I remember well, but then I lived in Fane Street as well as attending the school.

You mentioned David Fitzsimmons he was either 1 or 2 years before me also his cousin Edith McConnell as my family knew theirs. I was the year after Brian McCrea and George Marks and yes it was Brenda Newell. Miss Cherry was our PE teacher and they had the new gym built while I was there. Who could forget Mrs O Hara, Domestic Science teacher she was formidable.  I remember making some comment about Archie and using his first name not realising he was behind me, and he said you girl report to me after school, I was terrified but he left me stewing outside his office for about 20 minutes and then told me to go home.

Ulsterville school I was in Miss Apsleys class, always wore long black skirt and white blouse with a cameo at her neck and Miss Wallaces class who I detested. I had been very ill and in hospital for 3 months when I eventually returned to school, she said you will have to sit in the dunces row and catch up whatever way you can, never forgot that, you wouldn't get away with that now.  I remember Lawrence Rankin in my class who was the nephew of Mrs Rankin the teacher.

Are you living anywhere near the fires, what year did you move to Australia. My family moved to England in 1969, mainly because of the troubles..

Anyway nice to hear from you.+

lilo

« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2020, 05:32:46 PM »
Hi again Mcc,

I headed out to Oz in the late 70s. Not because of the troubles, just wanted to travel.

I well remember Edith McConnell, I was friendly with her younger brother Willie and was in the house in Ashley Ave. many times. No. 35 if memory serves. Think there was an older brother or two in the military. Willie also joined the navy after school.

I am often told that my memory is good, so I will test it here with the names of old teachers. Funny enough I can still put a face to the names , not bad after 50 yrs. have passed.

Arch Deek himself (headmaster).  Barney Moorhead (Maths) Robert Drennan Beggs (history geography)
Reichsfurer Joseph Mornen (V.P.) D. L. Smyth (English). Betty Aldwinkle (English) Mr. Mc Alveen (commerce)
Hutchy (history geography) A. Harper (French) Ashley Thompson (French) Jack Mcandless (R. E.) Ronnie Irwin (R.E.)
Tom Mercer (science) Vivienne McConaghy (Maths) R. J. Sheriff (Physics Chemistry) Mrs O’Hara Dom. Science)
Mr. Smith (woodwork) Eddie Grindal (P.E.) Pat Cherry (P.E.).   

The last two I believe were later married.
Hope this might spark a few memories and maybe rekindle this thread.

Mcc

« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2020, 04:59:05 PM »
Hi lilo

Gosh I remember all of those teachers, but never could have named them all.  Where you in Brian McCreas class?

I too spent lots of time in the Ashley Avenue house, although I couldn't have told you what number. After I left school I went to work in Lorne Street in the office of an engineering company I absolutely loved it but unfortunately was only there for 18 months before we left for England. Irene McCrea was supposed to move with us but her parents decided against it in the end, I missed her terribly when we moved but remained friends until she died in 2006.

How do you find living in Oz big difference from Belfast, but the old saying you can take the person out of Ireland but you cant take Ireland out of the person, which rings true for me. I have another friend who lives in Lisburn who I go and stay with every year, I am going over in March for a few days.

Not been much mention of the fires in Australia on the news, with all this flu in China heading the news, hope things have improved.

stickleback

« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2020, 10:48:43 PM »

He might've been the commerce teacher for you, but he was unfortunately the careers teacher for us.
Excellent post, Lilo. I remember most of those teachers, as I went to Ulsterville and Fane St.

As you'll know, we transferred to BSS, which became Deramore. They used to lay on a return bus service for us from the Lisburn Rd to Annadale. I often wonder what became of them in later life. As kids we all looked up to them, even though with hindsight quite a few were young themselves. I was there on the day the short-lived Deramore had it's inauguration. It amazed us that the school had lifts. I remember thinking on that day that something historic was happening; I had no idea it would be sold off in 25 yrs. .Betty Aldwinkle did drama. It was a class cop out for me, to do any school plays. I imagine many are dead now. The Deek was headmaster. Hutchie was around but he never taught me. Mr McAlveen, who could forget him? Everyone called him Percy Search and Search, on account of a speech impediment where such and such sounded like search and search. He might've been the dogs at commerce, though I somewhat suspect otherwise. I vividly remember him saying, in his new role as careers advisor: I had a pupil two years ago. He was going nowhere. I went into a furniture shop the other day and he was working there. He told me he had just sold a chesterfield suite.

Eh? Like that was meant to be the height of our ambition. Flogging chesterfield suites ?

Unfortunately so.

I left that school aged 14, totally confused but with happy memories. One thing I got from that school and you find it throughout most schools in N. Ireland was the ability to string a sentence together.

lilo

« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2020, 06:48:35 PM »
Hi McC,

Seems like we have another connection. I was also in the McCrea house in Ulsterville Gds. a few times, as I was friendly with Heather, the sister of  your friend Irene. I also knew Brian, but Irene I never met.
Sorry to hear that she is no longer with us. I read a post on here saying that Brian had also passed, at a young age.
I reckon many of our old school pals have joined them. I guess we are all in the departure lounge now.

On a brighter note- Springtime is coming and I also have a trip to Belfast planned for this summer, not sure which month as yet.

Hi stickleback,
Good to hear from another old pupil (I loved your furniture store story)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy