Author Topic: Fane Street School Secondary in the 60s  (Read 28064 times)

Theangelbuttercup

Re: Fane Street School Secondary in the 60s
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2013, 04:24:31 PM »
My dad peter McCreight went here in the early -mid sixties, lived in the village area.

Barry Vance

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2014, 01:11:50 PM »
Greetings all

Im Barry Vance - Lisburn Road flats beside old Majastic Cinema
Came across this site while trying to find out how to get old exam results from Fane St School

I remember almost all of the names below. I was at Fane St between 1966 & 1971

Peggy Crummy
Linda Martin - did my old friend Alan Matthews go out with her for a few years (or was that Linda Moore)
Dinger Bell
McCracken (was it Bobby)?
Danny Magill
Sammy Magill - quite a hard guy I recall, gave me a bit of a do'in outside the school
Those are all Village names.
I was from the other side of the bridge, here are some other names from the lisburn Road side
Are any of you still out there?
Alan Matthews
Frank McFarland
Alan Thompson
Brian Park
Sam Newell

I remember those teachers
Sheriff - Science. I sometimes still see him where I now live in Whitehead, spoke to him once. Havent seen him for a while now. Must be getting on in years
Grindel and Cherry - PE - Yes he was handy with the slipper, last out of the shower always got it!
'Hutch' Hutcheson - History in front right classroom. feet would come off the ground when he used the cane on anyone!!
Ms McConnighe - English
The Head was 'Archie' Archiebald

I can remember a huge fight in the canteen that spilled out into the yard!

Still havent found out how to get old exam results!

Notsoyoungbill

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2014, 01:44:39 AM »
My dad peter McCreight went here in the early -mid sixties, lived in the village area.

I knew an Janice McCreight from 177 Donegall Avenue

Livey

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2014, 08:56:47 PM »
Hi Barry welcome to the Forum, I was reading your blog and wanted to ask you were you related to Joe Vance who worked in Murrays Tobacco factory.
I lived in the village up until 1978 and went to Fane Street until 1959, the Principal you were referring to was Archie McBride.

I posted a photograph on the Donegall Road thread it has a lot of the teachers in it, Archie was a teacher then the Principal was a Mr. Campbell, we used to call him bulldog because of his cheeks.

Livey  
Livey

Barry Vance

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2014, 08:55:31 PM »
Hi Livey Yes, I certainly am related to Joe Vance, he is (or was, he died ten years ago) my dad. Dont really know how to say that,
I suppose he's always my dad.  My mum Jean died a couple of years after that, she also worked in Murrays, in the canteen, think she was the cook.
I see there was a 4 million re development of the old Murrays factory granted in 2012, havent been past it in a while so dont know if that went ahead.
How did you know him? Im kinda new to this posting on forums thing so hope this reply goes on ok.
I see most people dont use their real or full name, whats that all about!

Livey

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2014, 12:18:54 PM »
Hi Barry, it is my wife who knew your Dad she does not remember your Mum. I lived in Soudan Street and my wife in Donegall Gardens, we also lived in Ulsterville Gardens.

I do not know why we use code names I guess at the time it was for privacy but as we continue to use the Forum we also use our given names, mine is Ken.

Did you get a chance to look through the Donegall Road thread you might know a lot of the people they are talking about, I have forum old friends on it. I met with one on Saturday night a guy I haven't seen for fifty years. There is also lots of photographs.

Talk to you soon   Ken
Livey

Barry Vance

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2014, 08:10:08 PM »
Ken
I'll get a look at that sometime.
Currently trying to get my head round starting a 12 hour shift at DFDS Logistics on Friday morning then Sat / Sun.
Not easy for a 59 year old, far too technical. I am there since July last year and only through an agency, and I just moved to a new role last week. Before that I was out of work for 5 months and before that 18 years at SHS Distribution just up the hill from Abbey Center, Redundancy came in Feb last year, on my birthday

Till the next time
BV

Livey

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2014, 01:40:19 PM »
Hi Barry the 12 hours shifts are very hard on the system you never know what end is up, I worked for the airlines and worked many different shifts through my time. I would assume that you only work three or four days, do they pay a premium for the Sat.&Sun.
We used to get an extra weeks vacation for working those shifts plus double time for weekends.

As you probably guessed I do not live in Nothern Ireland now, I am in Canada, we just got rid of our snow this past week it has been a brutal winter very cold with more than usual snow glad it is over now. What is your weather like?

We meet up with a group of people from the Forum last Saturday night and we had a great night, it was a pleasure listening to the old accent again and good to be fully understood by everyone.

All the best talk to you soon ... Ken
Livey

grannyspice

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2014, 08:19:57 PM »
Hi there : re Fane Street. I have previously posted and old school photo on http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=47545.0 Have a wee look and see if you recognise any of the boys

Livey

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2014, 07:23:15 PM »
Hi Grannyspice I could not recognize any of the faces in you photo, I posted one on the Donegall Road threa it is the sports team from Fane Street in 1956, it is on page 49 see if you know any of the faces.
Livey
Livey

grannyspice

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2014, 08:36:30 PM »
Hello again. Can you tell me which topic the page 49 is on. I cant seem to find it. Thanks GS

isabell lee

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2014, 09:41:24 PM »
Speaking about schools, did anyone go to Alexander school on the shore road facing the grove park,

Livey

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2014, 12:39:49 PM »
Hi grannyspice, if you go to the top right hand corner you will see "search" enter Donegall Road, when it comes up on the top left corner the pages are numbered as such: 1. .48,49, 50.
Click on 49 for the photo.
Hope this helps you   Livey
Livey

grannyspice

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2014, 09:23:09 PM »
thanks Livey. Think my hubby was there way before that pic was taken. He is almost 74 now but good picture though. GS

Bill W

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2015, 05:50:50 PM »
I attended Fane Street from '65 thru to '69 and was in forms 1A, 2A, 3G and 4G so we could have even been in the same class! I remember many of the teachers, Mrs O'Hara, head of dom science, also Barney Moorhead, [taught maths] Mr Smyth or Smythe [taught English] Mr. Beggs, geography, Mr Hutchinson - taught history, Miss Martin - social studies, she married while we there and became Mrs Clarke? Mr Sherrif, science, Miss Parker and Mr Thompson who both taught French, Miss Davidson, cookery to anme some of them!

Hi, I've only just found this forum and registered but I don't know if I'm posting this message right. I went to Fane Street at the same time as you and I was also in the same classes as you, so chances are we know each other! Do members give their proper names and details on the forum? I remember all the teachers you mention and felt the wrath of Mr Hutchinson's and Mr Mercer's (Science teacher) cane quite a few times! I know it's been a long time since you posted your info but I hope you can still pick up on mine. Do you remember Stephen Manson ("Mansy") well he immigrated to Australia in 1970 and lives in South Victoria State?

I'll leave this for now to see if I've made contact and done this post properly. Hope to hear from someone.
You never know what you had until you lose it!