Author Topic: Fane Street School Secondary in the 60s  (Read 46329 times)

Shylock

Re: Fane Street School Secondary in the 60s
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2015, 02:18:33 PM »

Hi, I've only just found this forum and registered but I don't know if I'm posting this message right. I went to Fane Street at the same time as you and I was also in the same classes as you, so chances are we know each other! Do members give their proper names and details on the forum? I remember all the teachers you mention and felt the wrath of Mr Hutchinson's and Mr Mercer's (Science teacher) cane quite a few times! I know it's been a long time since you posted your info but I hope you can still pick up on mine. Do you remember Stephen Manson ("Mansy") well he immigrated to Australia in 1970 and lives in South Victoria State?

I'll leave this for now to see if I've made contact and done this post properly. Hope to hear from someone.
Hi Bill W,
 I haven't been on here as frequently over the last few years,  but am getting in a wee bit more often now.  you've posted properly, and you can also request to be contacted via email whenever someone replies to this thread. I've caught up with a couple of folks from back in the day , Carolin Marks, [reunited with  her via facebook group " I grew up in Belfast and am proud of it"] her married name is Stevenson, her and I used to hang about together a bit, one of the art teachers, can't recall the name, called the two of us wee sparrows, as were both vertically challenged! I used to live in Donegall Avenue on the corner of Pembroke Street in the wee corner shop there. Another friend was Ailsa Feely, she lived in Pembroke Street and we often played together, both in the street and at school.
 Not sure about the name Steven Manson, rings a bell somewhere in my old brain, tho I do remember a Steven Cogdell - he fired a paper dart [aeroplane] across the classroom and it got stuck in Mr. Smyth's/Smith's backcombed hair, while he was writing on the blackboard and he was FURIOUS! demanded to know who was responsible, and no-one would dob in Steven Cogdell - so we all got caned 5times on each hand with the edges of the ruler. I still remember how sore my hands were and I also remember Bobby Rogers who was sitting behind me in class, lean forward and said something like, " don't let him see how much it hurts!" Never forgotten that incident! funny the things we forget! 
 some of the other girls names I recall were Marlene Creighton? and  her friend Irene , was it Turner? then there was Pauline Layther who chummed about with Maureen somebody with lovely long red hair, oh Maureen Maxwell it was!,  There  was a Linda McCartney who also had red hair and Elizabeth Fraser who is still good friends with Carolin Marks [now Stevenson]. Other names I recall are Bill Beckett, [I went out with him a couple of times when I was about 15,] and my husband  and I caught up with him and his lovely wife when we returned to Belfast for a holiday in 2010. Brian McCrae - nicknamed the Romeo of 2A! Arnold McCracken, David Currie, George Marks, Trevor Faulkner, he also lived in Pembroke Street, Lawrence and Mervyn Nolan whose parents ran the newsagency on the corner of Kitchener Street and Donegall Road, Maureen Geddis or [Geddes] Margaret Telford, I seem to recall that in one year we had 3 Maureens, 3 Georges and 5 [I think it might've been ] Brians! I took part in one of the school pantomimes - Ali Baba and the 40 thieves, was one of the 40 thieves! anyway enough waffling on from me,  I am in Central Victoria in Australia and have been here since '73 [shortly after the back of our house was blown up - but that's another story!] oh and my maiden name was Shirley Thompson - I was pretty ordinary kid and was always the shortest kid in the class! hopefully these names might jog a few others memories, and we can reminisce a little! :)

Bill W

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2015, 02:19:52 PM »
Just wondering if anyone attended Fane Street in the sixties.  It may be nice to exchange memories.

Bill

Hi Bill, I know it's been a long time since your post but I went to Fane St 1964 - 1969 and apart from our names being the same we may well know each from school! I lived in the 'village' in Kitchener St until we moved to Dunmurry at the start of the 'troubles' in August '69, I noticed that you knew someone from Donegall Ave? Hope to hear from someone soon?
You never know what you had until you lose it!

Bill W

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2015, 03:01:50 PM »
Hi Bill W,
 I haven't been on here as frequently over the last few years,  but am getting in a wee bit more often now.  you've posted properly, and you can also request to be contacted via email whenever someone replies to this thread. I've caught up with a couple of folks from back in the day , Carolin Marks, [reunited with  her via facebook group " I grew up in Belfast and am proud of it"] her married name is Stevenson, her and I used to hang about together a bit, one of the art teachers, can't recall the name, called the two of us wee sparrows, as were both vertically challenged! I used to live in Donegall Avenue on the corner of Pembroke Street in the wee corner shop there. Another friend was Ailsa Feely, she lived in Pembroke Street and we often played together, both in the street and at school.
 Not sure about the name Steven Manson, rings a bell somewhere in my old brain, tho I do remember a Steven Cogdell - he fired a paper dart [aeroplane] across the classroom and it got stuck in Mr. Smyth's/Smith's backcombed hair, while he was writing on the blackboard and he was FURIOUS! demanded to know who was responsible, and no-one would dob in Steven Cogdell - so we all got caned 5times on each hand with the edges of the ruler. I still remember how sore my hands were and I also remember Bobby Rogers who was sitting behind me in class, lean forward and said something like, " don't let him see how much it hurts!" Never forgotten that incident! funny the things we forget! 
 some of the other girls names I recall were Marlene Creighton? and  her friend Irene , was it Turner? then there was Pauline Layther who chummed about with Maureen somebody with lovely long red hair, oh Maureen Maxwell it was!,  There  was a Linda McCartney who also had red hair and Elizabeth Fraser who is still good friends with Carolin Marks [now Stevenson]. Other names I recall are Bill Beckett, [I went out with him a couple of times when I was about 15,] and my husband  and I caught up with him and his lovely wife when we returned to Belfast for a holiday in 2010. Brian McCrae - nicknamed the Romeo of 2A! Arnold McCracken, David Currie, George Marks, Trevor Faulkner, he also lived in Pembroke Street, Lawrence and Mervyn Nolan whose parents ran the newsagency on the corner of Kitchener Street and Donegall Road, Maureen Geddis or [Geddes] Margaret Telford, I seem to recall that in one year we had 3 Maureens, 3 Georges and 5 [I think it might've been ] Brians! I took part in one of the school pantomimes - Ali Baba and the 40 thieves, was one of the 40 thieves! anyway enough waffling on from me,  I am in Central Victoria in Australia and have been here since '73 [shortly after the back of our house was blown up - but that's another story!] oh and my maiden name was Shirley Thompson - I was pretty ordinary kid and was always the shortest kid in the class! hopefully these names might jog a few others memories, and we can reminisce a little! :)

Great to hear from you Shirley. I sure do remember Thompsons shop and I think we knew each other at that time, and I knew your brother but I just can't remember his name, we used to walk home from school together a lot. Were your parents English? I remember the chip shop in Pembroke St run by Tyson and Mr Beattie, in I worked for Tyson when they 'branched out' and got a mobile chip van, I loved their pasties! I knew Ailsa to see but not personally, did she go on to be a nurse and even a Sister? I also knew Noelle Faulkner from Pembroke St in fact she was my first girlfriend! Bill Beckett was in my class at Fane St , also knew David Currie (or was it Mc Currie) and his brother Raymond again was in my class. The name Creighton rings a bell did they have some connection to a shop? I knew Lawrence and Mervyn Nolan and played table tennis with Lawrence, I played a lot of table tennis in those days and played for the school as well as playing rugby, badminton and basketball for the school. I was in 2a but must have been a different year to Brian McCrae. Played table tennis with Bobby Rodgers and went to St Simons CLB with him, I believe he was jailed at some point for murder during the 'troubles'. Stephen Manson and myself hung about together a lot, he lived in Roden St and we played table tennis for the City YMCA. Casell's shop (not sure of the spelling) was round the corner from where I lived in Kitchener St he was hard of hearing. Going back to school days, you never had a good caning until you had one from Mr Hutchinson the Geography teacher, he always took a few practice swipes to get his range and eventually he just clipped the tips of your fingers, believe me it felt like your fingers were numb! Again, like you said you would never let on how much it hurt out of embarrassment and sometimes you just sat down trying to keep the tears back! Happy Days!LOL   

Anyway, enough rambling for the moment, my wife Jacqueline and I have been married 42 yrs this year and I now live in Nottingham and have done for 25 yrs. I have one son who is 40 later this month, as if I didn't feel old enough already!  We have one Grandson who will be 13 this year and he is the light of our lives. I'll finish off just for now but I'll be watching for any replies  Thanks again.

Bill W

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2015, 11:49:30 PM »
Anybody any info or photos of Fane Street School in the 60's? I started there in 1964 just when it started to be a Secondary School with Archie McBride as the Headmaster, he was a real 'targe'. I have some old class photos that I'll look out and put on this thread. I was in classes 1a, 2a, 3g, 4g and 5g.

LONE RANGER

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2015, 12:31:39 PM »
I went to Fane Street School from 1958 / 1963 there abouts i am 68 years old i was from Sandy Row but moved up to Kitchener Street , my first teacher was Miss Bracegirdle and not in any order Mr Bones , Mr Stevenson , Mr Thompson , then the nutty professor Mr Mercer , then Mr  Barney Moorhead , then Lucy Ryan , then Mr Tompson the art teacher , then Miss Vogan the singing teacher who was blind , Mr Morning , then Mr McKinney , then Mr McBride , and  of course that giant of a man who was the head master Mr Campbell who loved to see you waiting out side his office warming your hands up at the Rad for you know what ! he never needed an excuse that is as much as i can remember , the pupils that were in my time were Eric Rush top guy , Winston Cunningham , John (flash) Freeburn , Robert Fear , Davy Kirk , Norman Fox , Tom Hart , Ken McKey , Bill Gordon , Gordon Fullerton , George Phillips , George Dowie , Victor Nesbitt , Norman Donaghy , Billy Potter , Stephen McCauley , Lockie Patton , Raymond Bell , Jim Brown , Billy Stewart , my apologies to those i have forgotten  the ladies were Kay Gibson , Rosemarie Mooney , Irene Maine her pal was a girl called Joyce something or other i can`t remember her second name , a girl called i think Agnes Wylie , Isobel McIiwaine , Evelin Boal , Another girl i only know by her first name which was Sylvia , i remember playing heady tennis at the school we won the final a couple of times no football all rugby thanks to Archie McBride the sports day was held at the a place called the UC grounds behind the Curzon picture house Ormeau Road     

Livey

« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2015, 01:18:35 PM »
Hi Lone Ranger, I knew a lot of the names you posted I am a wee bit older than you. As I told other threadies there are some photo's on the Donegall Road Forum from Fane Street School, you might know someone in them.

Looking forward to seeing some more new photo's.

Livey  

Livey

LONE RANGER

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2015, 01:25:54 PM »
Livey thank you for your kind reply i will have a look at some of these photos .

lindaandrews

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2015, 02:57:57 PM »
I attended 1967-1971 :)

Linda Adams and Pearl Skillen from Ebor Street.

Does anybody have any photos to share from these years?

Robert Mckee

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2016, 12:27:32 PM »
hi everyone....just found this topic...l went to Fane street 63/66....we were transferred from Porters in the pass....if anyone reads this could you get in touch please.

Thinking back

Does anyone remember aggie rodgers maud mckinney from moltke street
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2017, 03:05:56 PM »
Maud mckinney aggie rogers and carol mcgurk from moltke st.

Joni Grace

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2017, 10:17:11 AM »
I have just found this site. My brother & I went to Fane Street school early 60s - Ronnie & Joanie Mitchell. We moved from Portadown to Dunluce Avenue to live with our granny. I remember my first day in the playground a boy walked up to me & asked "what the F are you doing here" 😂☘

LONE RANGER

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2017, 08:15:33 AM »
Here's some fotos may jog some memories but have to admit they were taken more recently than the '60s! oh darn I've forgotten how to add the fotos, will check the instructions later, in a bit of a hurry at present!! sorry, you'll have to b patient till this evening!!
          In my days at Fane Street the iron steps had long uprights from the top of the first steps going down to the ground and of course everybody that had the guts to slide down these uprights thought they were the bee`s knee`s me included 1958 / 1962 I think .

Doh

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2018, 03:15:55 PM »
thanks Livey. Think my hubby was there way before that pic was taken. He is almost 74 now but good picture though. GS

I attended fane Street between 1958-1960 so our paths must have crossed. I recognise a lot of the teachers mentioned by others. i was in Lucy Ryan's/Alcock's class. I played on the Rugby team and did sports. I think I recognised myself in the photo grannyspice put up. my name is Harry Letson.  

Mcc

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2018, 05:20:51 PM »
I attended Fane Street School from 1962-1968 recognised some of the names Brian McCrea, George Marks , I was 2 years above doing commercial course, Mr McIlveen was the Commercial teacher. Brilliant years at the school.

papillon

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2018, 11:47:43 AM »
Bill W
Seems we were in the same class all though school. For the life of me I can't think who you are.
Bill B

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy