Author Topic: Fane Street School Secondary in the 60s  (Read 46326 times)

David Conn

Re: Fane Street School Secondary in the 60s
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2018, 09:43:00 PM »
I went to Fane Street School from 1958 / 1963 there abouts i am 68 years old i was from Sandy Row but moved up to Kitchener Street , my first teacher was Miss Bracegirdle and not in any order Mr Bones , Mr Stevenson , Mr Thompson , then the nutty professor Mr Mercer , then Mr  Barney Moorhead , then Lucy Ryan , then Mr Tompson the art teacher , then Miss Vogan the singing teacher who was blind , Mr Morning , then Mr McKinney , then Mr McBride , and  of course that giant of a man who was the head master Mr Campbell who loved to see you waiting out side his office warming your hands up at the Rad for you know what ! he never needed an excuse that is as much as i can remember , the pupils that were in my time were Eric Rush top guy , Winston Cunningham , John (flash) Freeburn , Robert Fear , Davy Kirk , Norman Fox , Tom Hart , Ken McKey , Bill Gordon , Gordon Fullerton , George Phillips , George Dowie , Victor Nesbitt , Norman Donaghy , Billy Potter , Stephen McCauley , Lockie Patton , Raymond Bell , Jim Brown , Billy Stewart , my apologies to those i have forgotten  the ladies were Kay Gibson , Rosemarie Mooney , Irene Maine her pal was a girl called Joyce something or other i can`t remember her second name , a girl called i think Agnes Wylie , Isobel McIiwaine , Evelin Boal , Another girl i only know by her first name which was Sylvia , i remember playing heady tennis at the school we won the final a couple of times no football all rugby thanks to Archie McBride the sports day was held at the a place called the UC grounds behind the Curzon picture house Ormeau Road   

David Conn

« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2018, 09:45:33 PM »
R.E.M. All of those teachers u mentioned . My name is David Conn I lived in northbrook gdns . Bill laverty jean Irwin robin tibbs David mackie wer in my class

Leslie55

« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2018, 09:44:11 PM »
Was at fane street from 65 to 71 was in class 3c hated old teacher Arnold loved auldvinkle and adored miss topping hated mourning maths teacher. We had an abouslutly class of lovely looking girls the Patterson's being the best looking also Roberta McBride was a looker

Leslie55

« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2018, 09:54:24 PM »
I also remember the uc grounds on ormo road it was always cold we had Stephen Feeney in our class and he was good at football I hated school bit now regret it my fault not the schools why does nobody from this era now post on here. The stoney steps were drummed into me at the age of 11 I had to climb them I also remember Ruth herron old before her time and big Dorothy Willis and Sandra ball who always tried to be tough

Leslie55

« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2018, 10:02:55 PM »
Also is isa.Williams uel black David fear where has everybody went to.are they all caught up in internet world I know I loved the seventies because very few had any money. And everyone was on the same level I have very fond memories of fane st it taught me to read and right and how to treat both male and female

Leslie55

« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2019, 04:49:07 PM »
Also everyone liked each other. Not like todayand I know David fear is dead but I want his name to live on and I want to celebrate what a brilliant class of beautiful girls and boys we had. We did not have much but we looked out for each other

stickleback

« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2019, 10:01:22 AM »

If you went to Fane St you might've attended Ulsterville Primary School, like me.

I'm not on Facebook but I made up a fake ID to read this:

https://www.facebook.com/1405013013127249/photos/basw.AboXAhgKxxWFl7eNjWaEVWmK18WHztCKMSx2vbkbQ-U_8aL0O0tmwTTnmXk1ghqbzNFlCkrpaxAl1mjVvHBboyoCEOwUusNsyXLbfCQtchLiJtEUr71K5PUm6ECeteunGfZ9QhY-rBrmkGsGASqsoKne.1894915484136997.1894915847470294.1894915317470347.1894915427470336.1894915897470289.1724857084476172/1894915317470347/?type=1&opaqueCursor=AbokNCEjA1u_KWXREVQ5pIIUL49Vgyz0TtV3MKo5p8jaOZtIfgpv3Zyvrj0zDIpDjsioGQsRsgiVIUMJurNrmnlaeuHdC7YNnemYuEdhvMIY1SQHtdmXJTQi8TF6oCfxvr-UUPj6Q-fb8OMUd2nbqQmrPRqEZA2xDj3pOmp7emE0leeK8nh6XT7ciXjtlMt-gqfjOPFsvoC43SY1xuPmW4DgCvh9wRCsBbUA9oI_S3B-KSkAJsNtGyO58Al9O2BgjS-KZ5q9FVEhh3jaPDiMmL95Wk9uvQSBQExNbzXdSIFy27hdOA5o58TNbNi_gRYHXsXj9WnwkqpM309ylMArvtOODJuuhPfDH6V6lwNi2BbwG224F--HGVH57m8xYdfl2GS2eKFhJWFT0Y2GJ85klNAMxmivMxottW-88toORzaRIBYrVpMPHr3vjQLDnqQQg4QcuCcT_RhnQDdMV-kpacY8ipP4rOz5q0YuIcr-ULGF6VCK-GNeOMfeNM_IPojBoMLePXdGNDJbzFPZA4uNynQmn52RnNIKoZKbCtp3dNnF0dYfPzDdM2_lML9-j2MhvSY&theater

Just click anywhere. It should work.

Hopefully you can zoom in on the writing on the article about the history of Ulsterville School. Also, the adverts of local shops were a trip down memory lane. Mr Henry Starret was the Head when I was there, a very dapper gent with a trimmed snow-white tache. I recall he entered our class one day and randomly selected me to run an errand for him. He handed me a £1 note, which was a lot of money for a ten year old to hold back in the day. I put it in my pocket, got to the top of Edinburgh St and realised I'd lost it. I retraced my steps in a panic and found it lying under a car. Old Henry was none the wiser and he regularly got me to run errands for him after that. I realise, in hindsight, that he was actually schooling me in the life lesson of trust. I can't say I got to know him well, but even though he was the headmaster I regard him as being one of the best teachers I had. Admittedly, it's not a strong field.

I recall Betty Auldwinkle ( helluva name that) from Fane St. She was the drama teacher. I had a small part in The Christmas Carol panto one year, around '76. It was like playing football at school. It didn't feel like school. I only went to Fane St for a year and I was only at Ulsterville for a year, but I remember both well. I concur with your earlier post. We had the best looking schoolgirls in Belfast  ;)

Tomrc36spanner

« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2019, 01:27:15 AM »
Hi I went to Fane street in the 60s . Was in the same class as Andrew Linton( married Sandra Liggett) , Brian Buchanan, George?? who went around with Brain Hawthorn, Bobby Rogers, David Mc Curry,
Arnold McConnell, Brian McCrea ( joined later).Frankie Mc Farland,  Maureen Maxwell, Pauline Lawther and some others who’s last name I can’t remember,  Linda( boys gave her and her friend a hard time). Also knew Sandra and Silvia Geddis and their cousin Maureen Geddis, Norma Harris, Joan Curry,  David Brown(Hovis). Also lots of others who’s names sadly escape me but whose face don’t. Left after I got my O levels.

Mcc

« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2019, 05:24:29 PM »
I was at Fane Street school same time as you but in the year above you.  I remember a lot of those people, Brian McCrea was the brother of my best friend. Such brilliant times at that school. My favourite teacher was Mr McIlveen, couldn't stand Mr Stevens in the Library, creepy he was. They built a new gym and domestic science room while I was there.

Tomrc36spanner

« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2019, 08:55:54 PM »
I remember Brian McCrea’s sister and also you I think . Remember  have a conversation with you ( I think ) and her outside the small shop in Edinburgh street opposite the Church hall were the BB met. Strange the things we recall

Tomrc36spanner

« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2019, 09:06:10 PM »
I keep trying to remember the last name of the girl in our class called  Linda who took so much “ribbing”as it was called back then by a number of the boys. I think her friend was Norma but can’t be sure , she came in for the same “ribbing”.

Mcc

« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2019, 10:32:02 PM »
Was the girl called Linda Rosbottom. The other name you couldn't remember is George Marks.  It probably was me you recalled as I spent a lot of time in Edinburgh Street at the youth club and at the little shop. I ended up working in Lorne Street for a while. Its lovely remembering all the times of our youth.

Leslie55

« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2019, 03:17:28 AM »
Glad to hear the old school is still remembered, we should have an old school reunionion, who the hell  worries about how we look, we got through it, and unfortunately a lot did not, but life is for the living, and I want to meet the spanner

Leslie55

« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2019, 03:28:28 AM »
And by the way nice of you to reply spanned, I thought I was all alone, remember mornen maths teacher and old Archibald, and if you were crafty and positioned yourself well you could see up Cherry's skirt all 14 year olds got sexed up and she new it, and we got old brindle he was terrible but whatever we got through life, scars and all, I cannot come to the table without sin

Leslie55

« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2019, 03:34:02 AM »
I would like to meet up with you are you still in Belfast, or in some far away place if possible email me at [email protected] life is short

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy