Author Topic: Fane Street School Secondary in the 60s  (Read 32111 times)

stickleback

Re: Fane Street School Secondary in the 60s
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2020, 10:35:12 PM »
Hi McC,

Seems like we have another connection. I was also in the McCrea house in Ulsterville Gds. a few times, as I was friendly with Heather, the sister of  your friend Irene. I also knew Brian, but Irene I never met.
Sorry to hear that she is no longer with us. I read a post on here saying that Brian had also passed, at a young age.
I reckon many of our old school pals have joined them. I guess we are all in the departure lounge now.

On a brighter note- Springtime is coming and I also have a trip to Belfast planned for this summer, not sure which month as yet.

Hi stickleback,
Good to hear from another old pupil (I loved your furniture store story)

Nice one Lilo. I was around the corner in Ashley Avenue, albiet in the early to mid 70's. Pleasure to meet your company  ;)

papillon

« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2020, 05:40:08 AM »
Nice one Lilo. I was around the corner in Ashley Avenue, albiet in the early to mid 70's. Pleasure to meet your company  ;)
It's been so long since I posted here that I have forgotten the process but here goes anyway.Read your string of messages. I was at Fane Street from 64 until 69. I know the names and whilst I cannot remember their faces, those individuals are ingrained in me still.Bill B

lilo

« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2020, 04:48:43 PM »
Hi Papillon,

Nice to hear from yet another old, young, pupil.
Since I posted the names of teachers on here I have remembered a few others.
I know they would never forgive me if I didn’t mention them.

In no particular order- Sam Arnold, Mr. Lindsey(art) Mr. Allison( History. Geography?) Mr Whyte, not sure what subject he taught, but he ran the football team.
That reminds me of a match we played over at U.C. grounds(Ormeau Road) against Knockbreda. We won the match thanks to a late winner from Alex Scott. Alex was out on the left wing and crossed a high ball over which flew into the net. I always said it was supposed to be a cross, but Alex claimed it and was the hero of the day.

A sad footnote to that little story, was that a few years later Alex was shot in the back near M1 Broadway area.

papillon

« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2020, 05:06:03 PM »
I have to admit those names are not familiar to me. I left in june 69 but I do remember Grindle and Cherry, Bones and Hutchinson. Mercer, Sheriff and Smith woodwork teacher. Drennan, Joe Mornan (I beat him in the chess final and he was not pleased.) Anne Harper the gorgeous French teacher and, of course, the "Deek!"
What years were you there?
Bill B

lilo

« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2020, 06:23:28 PM »
66-71 here. Puts you two years ahead. No difference now ,but in schooldays it was quite a gap.

You have tweaked my memory with Mr. Bones.I think I had blanked him out.
The nightmare is slowly returning through the mists of time to class 1A with Mr. Bones as my maths teacher.
It was never one of my better subjects.

Ps. I would place a small wager on his first name being Henry.

papillon

« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2020, 11:34:41 PM »
Couple of years was nothing. I went past Fane Street with one of my little granddaughters in the back of the car. Doing a "rat run" to avoid traffic. I have not seen the school since I left on Friday 29th June 1969. That day I passed it was Friday 29th June 2019! Forty years to the day. A shiver ran up my spine. I looked in the rearview mirror and spoke to my seven year old. "This was granda's school" I said. "Whas that in the olden days?" she enquired. "Yes indeed Eva, that was in the older days!"

stickleback

« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2020, 02:38:35 AM »
Couple of years was nothing. I went past Fane Street with one of my little granddaughters in the back of the car. Doing a "rat run" to avoid traffic. I have not seen the school since I left on Friday 29th June 1969. That day I passed it was Friday 29th June 2019! Forty years to the day. A shiver ran up my spine. I looked in the rearview mirror and spoke to my seven year old. "This was granda's school" I said. "Whas that in the olden days?" she enquired. "Yes indeed Eva, that was in the older days!"

I know what you mean Papillion, but at the same time it stuck in your brainbox and likely you remember a few old classmates, a few old teachers, classmates and the best looking girls etc. .that's how the brainbox works. There's nothing to apologise for. It's all part of you. Like Fane Street will always be part of me. I think it's when you try to pretend you've moved on, like the past didn't happen, you get into diffs. There's nothing to be embarrassed about. You were just a kid born down there. If anything, you should feel proud to reference how you made good. Although financially I might be better off now than I was destined to be from Fane Street I can assure you the money means nada. I just got lucky buying a place in London  a long time ago. I still wonder what became of old classmates from the Fane St era from time to time.

Leslie55

« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2020, 11:11:25 PM »
You r more up to date than me, I also heard that Alex Scott got shot, but I also heard it was a scam, I seen him walking years later, that damn teacher Arnold you talk about should never have been allowed near teaching

lilo

« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2020, 03:40:21 PM »
Hi there Les 55,
 Hope you are well and the life is sweet.

Seems like you had a few run inns with Sam Arnold in your school days.
I never did have him as a teacher, so I really can’t say much. Only thing I can remember about him, strangely enough, was a bad case of acne.

Glad to hear that A. Scott is still alive and kicking. I only heard that he had been shot in the back. As for the scam rumour, not sure anyone would take a bullet in the back as a scam.

Great to hear from you Leslie, keep well.

Tomrc36spanner

« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2020, 11:50:02 PM »
Hi everyone
I’m the Tom Connor with the ginger hair . I left school in 5G. I remember all the teachers you mention. I also remember all the Linda’s you mention in the year below me. I also had a part in the Merchant of Venice play along with a few others over the years. The Smyth was behind the play.Besides being a teacher he was also director of production in the Lyric theatre at the time. Thanks for all the class names . I have been trying to remember Linda Hatton’s last name for ages - she was the one, along with her friend whose name I can’t remember who took a lot of “ribbing”from the Boys. Which was terrible in hind sight  I left Ireland in 2005 and now live in Canada.

lilo

« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2020, 06:42:46 PM »
Hi Tom,
 Great to hear from you all the way from Canada. I was over there two months ago visiting a friend in Windsor. This was just before the big V. I think that life could well be defined as pre or post virus now.
Anyway, I’m sure I remember you with ginger hair as I already said, kind of skinny (most of us were in those days) and i may be wrong, but I think you played in the basketball team (white shorts, navy blue vest) Brian Hawthorn I believe was team captain. I was one year behind you and also played in the basketball team.

Yes I knew that D. L. S. was involved with the Lyric over in Ridgeway St. Cool dude, swept back hair, kind of classy. I sometimes wondered what brought him to Fane St.

Hope life is good for you over there, I expect the ginger has faded and no doubt you have gained a few pounds with those massive N. American portions.

Take care

Tomrc36spanner

« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2020, 01:07:07 AM »
More grey than ginger nowadays. Yes played in the basketball, rugby and soccer teams. Also the basketball one that won a Belfast championship. DLS went to Inst , Ronnie Irwin knew him there and told us about his time there.  Planning to retire soon, and we may split our time between N Ireland and Canada . We have a daughter and grandson in Canada and a Son and grandson in Belfast. Remember lots of the teachers and people mentioned on various posts.  I had a good time at school. Had crush’s on a lot of the girls, one or two in particular. Brian Hawthorns son  Chris worked in a company I was a director of . Also met his wife in Boots a number of years ago on a visit home, she went to Fane street as well along with her sister.

Gmacp

« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2020, 09:37:34 PM »
If anyone on here has any wonderful photos they could share of Ulsterville or Fane street Secondary memories I would love to see them.

I went to Ulsterville in the early 70s then my parents moved us to Carrickfergus to get away from Belfast troubles... but returned in the early 80s to join Fane Street for P7 then onto Deramore High School