Author Topic: Miss Foster's Windsor School of Dancing  (Read 553 times)

Christopher

Miss Foster's Windsor School of Dancing
« on: April 01, 2007, 02:55:47 PM »
I wonder if Forum members could possibly assist solve the riddle of the sisters who ran Miss Foster's Windsor School of Dancing which was located at 136, Lisburn Road. Eddie McIlwaine managed to get the names of the sisters who ran it after nine years. Eddie described them as aristocratic sisters ... Miss Foster and Miss Taylor. I wonder if they were step sisters? Possibly one was married and was mistakenly called Miss. If that's the case which sister would that have been? Eddie now wants to know why they were called aristocratic.

In his article on 14th August last year there was some more information to assist the Forum sleuths. I wonder if Miss Colette Marple (or should that be Miss Marple Colette?) is up to solving this case. I can't see her in a deerstalker ... umm   On second thoughts Colette would probably look very attractive in a deerstalker 8) 

Here's the further information ... Agnes Lascelles Foster was born in 1900 and died in 1986. Lascelles is rather an aristocratic name.

There was also a mention of one of the bands that played at Miss Fosters ... the Stanley Coppell Jazz Band. Could any one tell us a bit more about that band ... when it was formed, who played in it and when they last played? Who was Stanley Coppell? I've a hunch his name may have been Coppel as the 1960 directory does not show the surname Coppell. BTW the drummer in the band was a guy named Barry Lowry who told Eddie that musicians like Chris Barber and Acker Bilk used to drop in to the hall.