Author Topic: Beresford Street  (Read 28346 times)

guinty1

Re: Beresford Street
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2012, 10:07:42 PM »
The second photo showing two women in front of the window is a mystery, but an educated guess would be that one of  the women is my great grandmother but which one i dont know. She also live in Beresford street, only a couple of doors away from my grandfather, Her husband my great grandfather was a blacksmith (family name Carleton)

guinty1

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2012, 10:14:17 PM »
The third photo showing two girls dated 1935 is my mum jean Bell on the right and a girl referred to as tiny. This photo again would have been taken in Beresford Street during the 1930's.
The forth photo taken at the "field" shows my mum right hand side girl wearing a hat at the back, Lillie is the extreme RHS of the photo. I think this photo would have been taken in late 1940's or early 1950's. Maybe other family members but dont know them.

Ulster Canadian

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
The first photo shows my grandfather Lyndsay Bell he lived in Beresford street (somewhere between 10 -18). To his left is his sister in law Lillie Godfrey (nee Carleton). She is also mentioned in a previous post showing a newspaper  clipping about Bersford street. In front of my grandfather is Lillies sister Sadie. The little boy in the foreground is my grandfathers son also named Lyndsay. I have asked my mum who the girl is to the left of my grandfather and all she can tell me is her name is Madeline (is she part of your family) I think this photo would have been taken in the 1930's.

From what i can see and tell from the Beresford Street directory,

Lyndsay Bell lived at No' 15 from 1934 to 1958

Carlton first appeared in Beresford st. 1915 i've only to 1964 but they lived at No' 10

Hope this helps out.

DOFFER

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2012, 12:05:09 AM »
what a good looking  family all nice looking people ,i love the photos ,  thanks 

trying to get my head round just where berseford st was situated ?  ::)  was it the hammer ,
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

Ulster Canadian

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2012, 01:04:40 AM »
what a good looking  family all nice looking people ,i love the photos ,  thanks 

trying to get my head round just where berseford st was situated ?  ::)  was it the hammer ,

Beresford street was between Crimea and Agnes st. and ran from the Shankill road to Loftus st.

guinty1

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2012, 09:06:31 PM »
I have spoken to my mum since I posted the photos and she has told me that the photo of the two women in front of the window are my great grandmother and her next door neighbour Mrs ramsey and she had a daughter called caroline. my mum has also confirmed that her grandfather had eight children 3 boys and five girls. My mum has also told me that she spent part of the war on her uncle Davey Craigs farm at drumbo. She has also told me that the Craigs owned a corner shop/sweetie shop around the shankill but can't remember what street it was. Is this your family. I believe craig must be my great grandmother's maiden name. My mum has also told me that my grandmother played football for Linfield ladies team and played a french ladies team in the early 20th century. I have seen a medal she was awarded for the game. Can anybody tell me about ladies football at Linfield or anything about this game?

DOFFER

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2012, 09:11:15 PM »

Beresford street was between Crimea and Agnes st. and ran from the Shankill road to Loftus st.

YES OF COURSE  ,UC ITS COMING BACK TO ME NOW ,LOL OLD MIND PLAYS TRICKS ,   THANKS FOR REPLY ,
I DID A LOT OF ME COURTING AROUND CRIMEA ST ,,,, :angel: :-[
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

guinty1

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2012, 10:05:13 AM »
Thanks for that uc, was talking to my mum about beresford street and about the people who lived there and she told me there was a man who lived in the street called jimmy Warnock he was a boxer and a bit of a local hero. Uc does your records show him ever living in beresford street. My mum talked about a fight he had with another boxer called rinty monaghan. She said her mum went to watch the bout.

Ulster Canadian

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2012, 12:57:28 PM »
Thanks for that uc, was talking to my mum about beresford street and about the people who lived there and she told me there was a man who lived in the street called jimmy Warnock he was a boxer and a bit of a local hero. Uc does your records show him ever living in beresford street. My mum talked about a fight he had with another boxer called rinty monaghan. She said her mum went to watch the bout.

not too sure if Jimmy lived in Beresford St or not but there's a Belfast Boxers topic which you might be interested in with plenty of information on local boxers, my great uncle was a boxer, Jackie Mussen he fought Jimmy Warnock in 1946 but lost on points, Jackie was also the Irish Bantam Weight Champion from 1938 to 1940  anyway if i notice warnocks on beresford st i'll let you know.

spanner

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2012, 07:04:49 PM »
Could it be Freddie Warnock , boxed late 40's-50's

DOFFER

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2012, 10:18:04 PM »
ONE OF THE WARNOCK BROTHERS LIVED NEXT DOOR TO MY GRANNIE IN DANUBE ST DURING THE LATE 40S EARLY 50S ,

hollyhenry

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2012, 12:50:25 AM »
What's left of Beresford St. 2011

The mural on the wall is my G.G Uncle Richard Mussen, A Zulu War Veteran, he had the last horse drawn gun carriage in belfast, Dec 27 1936, the mural is from a photo of the funeral procession going down northumberland street on it's way to the city cemetery.

Hi!
This is my first time on this forum and lo and behold I have found a Mussen reference. May I ask how you are related to Richard Mussen? I have been researching the Mussens for many years now and would love to hear what you know and if you are interested I can share what I have.
Thank you! I am looking forward to hearing from you when you have time!
K

Ulster Canadian

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2012, 04:19:36 AM »

Hi!
This is my first time on this forum and lo and behold I have found a Mussen reference. May I ask how you are related to Richard Mussen? I have been researching the Mussens for many years now and would love to hear what you know and if you are interested I can share what I have.
Thank you! I am looking forward to hearing from you when you have time!K

Are you the same person that was on the Ulster Bands Forum that was asking me about the Mussen's about a year ago?

William Arthur Mussen and Mary Ann Mussen (smyth) were my mothers Grandparents and their Daughter Elizabeth Ellen Adair Mussen (mcclean) was my Grandmother.

I've also been to Richard Mussen's son R.Mussen's Memorial Wall at Pozieres Memorial Cemetery in France. I was planning to attend the mural unveiling as i wanted to meet a few of the Mussen's but was unable to make it, i seen the photo's and seen a few McCleans who are also my Aunts, Uncles and cousins and so on.

If anything else you can send me a PM, also if you look in the Boxers Topic you'll find the stuff i posted on Jackie Mussen the boxer, also had his photo fixed and coloured.

John.

melv

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2012, 08:25:13 PM »
Hi Hollyhenry and welcome to the forum, i have Mussens in my family tree, my great aunt Elizabeth Grainger married a Joe Mussen around 1920, they lived in cumberland street thirtys and fortys, and then Emerson st, Joe died in 1974, his Mother was Margaret Mussen, died 1924, other members are Edward James and Lilly,    sam.
C.O.Y.S.

hollyhenry

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2012, 09:50:21 PM »
Hi Melv,
Nice to hear from you! Thank you for responding! I would love to hear more about your Mussen family if you would be willing to share.

I have been researching Mussens for almost 10 years now, trying to find out how our little branch that ended up in Canada as a "Home Child" is connected to all the Mussens in Lisburn, Derriaghy and Belfast areas.

Any little bit of information or family story would gratefully be received! And in return, of course, if I have anything of interest related to your Mussens I will gladly pass it along.

All the best!
K.