Author Topic: bawnmore boys home  (Read 13971 times)

dendar

Re: bawnmore boys home
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2011, 12:18:24 AM »
hi bevo 1953 I was in the 105th bb,inthe 50's if my memory serves me.roy bates was a frind of mine who was also there. we both lived in the white city.
a lot of fun.
dendar

bevo1953

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2011, 05:02:55 PM »
hi dender, i remember roy bates well, he lived on the serpentine in the 1970s. Brian barnes was in charge when i was in 105th, also roy valleley....greatdays them, did you go to the throne or ballygolan. ?

vic46

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2011, 07:40:46 PM »
hi there brian barnes also worked in bawnmore for a while he was a very good table tennis player i thnk he also played the drums in a skiffel band as they would
come to bawnmore now and again and play for the boys if it is the same brian
he had blondie coloured hair and wore glasses is this the one you are talking about sorry forgot to mention some of us boys from bawnmore where also in the 105th and the lifeboys in the old church hall on the shore road not to far from
the american soda bar at the bottom of the whitewell

dendar

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2011, 03:54:41 PM »
hi bevo 1953 thanks for unlocking some memories. brian barnes, roy valalee.I had forgotten their names. roy bates died early sept of this year.he was a boyhood friend of mine and will be sadly missed.you lose touch with people as you get older,particularly when i live in canada, but always remembered.him and I grew up in the white city and it was a great place to live. my name is dennis darragh and we lived in kernan close
regards
dendar

dendar

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2011, 11:53:51 PM »
bevo I forgot to mention i went to throne primary.
dendar

sandymc

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2011, 02:33:43 AM »
i think i remember roy vallaley did he live in serpentine gardens , iwent to ballygolan and lived in voltaire gardens. my name was sandra jamison and i married jim mcdonald from vandyck. when we emigrated to australia billy , i cant remember his second name was on the same plane , he lived in the white city the houses facing the whitewell road , but when we arrived in melbourne he went off to the single mens quarters and we went to
broadmeadows hostel and we lost touch.
sandymc

bevo1953

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2011, 08:51:24 PM »
dendar, sorry i did not get back to you, laptop problems...i was born in serpentine gdns in 1953, then moved to glenhurst drive, then the old white city, laragh road, i now live in the new white city, married linda glover from thorburn road,went to ballygolan 1957- 1965, then dunlambert.....roy valeley is a retired minister, and i believe brian barnes is in canada  .talk again....stephen jones is my name.

dendar

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2011, 06:59:46 PM »
hi bevo I remember ronny and alan jones from garton way, any relation.I went to carrick tech after throne with tom foster and alan bleakley. they have probably moved away long ago when the old white city was knocked down.so many names to remember, both catholic and protestant from long ago. a good place and time to grow up.
cheers
dendar

vic46

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2011, 07:32:36 PM »
looks like i have found wrong thread i thought this thread
was about bawnmore boys home  ???

dendar

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2011, 11:02:17 PM »
hi vic46 sometimes conversations  go of on a tangent.
dendar

annenorrie

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2013, 10:40:44 PM »
Hi
I was Anne Smyth, my Mum and Dad ran Bawnmore for years and are still alive.
I have soooo many happy memories of my life there and all my "Big brothers".
Dad is still in touch with many of his "Old boys" and thinks fondly of many of them often when we have wee chats and he tells his stories.
My Dad always put his "boys" first and was a workaholic.
We have some photos of Bawnmore but not as many as I would like :O(
Feel free to email me if I can help with any questions.
Anne

annenorrie

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2013, 10:42:23 PM »
Brian Barnes died years ago but visited us every time he came home from Canada.

vic46

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2013, 03:07:16 PM »
hi annenorrie
i remember when you where born i think it would have been sometime around 1964
i was in bawnmore with my brother and i thought your mum and dad where great
i would really love to see them again hopefully they could fill in a few blanks for me
as i cant really remember  when we went in i know i left in 65-66 and my brother left
the year before me

Windsor

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2014, 01:14:53 PM »
Hi,

The dates you mentioned rang a bell with me, I know my brother Derek was at Bawnmore around about that time. If you PM me I can let you have his surname to check if you remember him, sadly he passť away aged 55 just over 6 years ago!
Immortality, it prevents you growing old gracefully!

old3wheeler

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2014, 01:42:45 PM »
I was a pupil at Dunlambert in the late 60,s ,there were two lads in my year who were in Bawnmore then, One lad was called Willy Brown and the other Edward ( Eddie ) Walker , Eddie and I became good pals and had many,s a laugh and close shaves re getting caught smoking in the playground, Sadly Eddie was killed after being hit by a bullet shot by a police officer after the car he was travelling in failed to stop at a police road block, Eddie wasn't erfect but wasn't a fitting end for the " Wee Mouch "  as I called him.
 Willy Brown many years after leaving school said he had been abused in the infamous Kincora boys home were he was before going to Bawnmore, regards ken
" outside of a dog " a book is mans best friend,
inside of a dog is far to dark to read."