Author Topic: manor street, belfast 14  (Read 109260 times)

kkay

manor street, belfast 14
« on: May 05, 2010, 11:49:38 PM »
i lived with my family in manor street until the troubles started and we had to leave our home.  Pop Gillespie had a sweetie shop round the cornor from us on the oldpark road, i loved that wee shop, sold everything.  Dolly Hagan was a lovely warm woman whose shop, incidentily was in shannon street just opposite the bottom of liffey street, first shop i ever say tights in, as opposed to stockings lol.  The streets from oldpark road were Lee, liffey, nore, barrow. Suir street ran off lee onto the oldpark. Shannon Street ran parrelle to Manor Street. Manor drive was the first street past where i lived on the opposite side to the river streets and the drive led to the oldpark.  There were entries behind the terreced house. There used to be a club in Avoca Street, maybe summer, but think avoca and a brilliant band called "The Feet" played there, loved them, does anyone remember them? We, although we were girls, went to Manor Street Boys club one or two nights a week and we loved it. I was ran by a beautiful couple Ann and Jackie who had great sadness in their lives, they were good people. We were successful in drama there and won highspots of the year against many more senior, experienced clubs, our entry was the soucerers apprentice. Could go on forever about ther people around Manor Street, from top to bottom. I always enjoyed travelling on the number 77 bus, ran from waterworks to gasworks. Took me to granny family at Albert Street.

pentio

Re: manor street, belfast 14
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 12:25:05 AM »
Hi kkay

A very warm welcome to the Forum.

These photos were posted by Gerard last year, the 77 Gasworks bus which travelled along Manor Steet every day is shown.

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=197.150

dimples45

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 12:34:23 AM »
hi kkay.icame from foyle st.remember pops shop also dolly hagens .did you live in the parlour houses just before manor drive.i to went to manor st club .know ann bamford she married jackie nicholl.my older brother also went to the club he use to be engaged to ann bamford then late 50sor early 60s.  when did you live in manor street i may know you   dimples46     ps. welcome to the forum.

kkay

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 09:55:12 AM »
hi dimples 45. I forgot all about Foyle Street, shame on me. hello again.  Yes we lived in the parlour houses, the very first one in from oldpark road, 181. just at the first entry facing liffey street. Everyone knew it as the house with all the wee girls. Besides my brother there were 4 girls and because there was only roughly 1 year between us all it seemed there were dozens of us. Does any of that ring a bell? Lots of friends calling in also made it a busy house. We went to Our Lady of Mercy school and our friends went to Everton, St. Gabs and Summerdale, think thats what its called.  We lived there from 1963 to 1969 and I was 15 when we left so I'm pretty ancient now lol. I couldnt remember Ann and Jackies' second names, thanks for that. I always remember them as lovely people. Do you know anything about them now?

dimples45

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 08:53:55 PM »
hi kkay.   The only family i remember living near where you lived there surname was Lewis did you know them. dimples45

breenbox

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 10:02:48 PM »
Anyone out there remember Bob Smyth. He ran a shoemakers/repairs shop in Manor Street. Corner of Manor Street & Derg Street ..  I think.
You'll never plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

dimples45

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 11:46:41 PM »
Anyone out there remember Bob Smyth. He ran a shoemakers/repairs shop in Manor Street. Corner of Manor Street & Derg Street .    hi breen .welcome to the forum.i remember the smyths  well.  Mrs smyth and my mother were good friends.  Iwas speaking to their daughter jacqueline on the bus yesterday first time ive seen her in about 40 years. do you remember the massive sized boot in the shop window.Are you from manor street area.       dimples45

breenbox

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 07:16:43 PM »
Hi Dimples
I'am not from the Manor Street area. I first met Bob about 25 years ago, not long after he retired and had left his shop. I did however see the massive boot on several occasions. I think his grandfather made it originally, so it must be very old. I was saddened to hear that Bob passed away a few years ago, I believe he was in his 90's.
One of lifes true gentlemen.   

ned

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 07:34:07 PM »
Took me to granny family at Albert Street

What was her name?
Be careful out there folks because they aren't.

breenbox

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 07:43:38 PM »
 :scratch_ones_head:  Wot was that Ned                                 

dougie boy

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 09:36:19 PM »
Hi kkay yes i remember the band The Feet and them playing Midnight Hour etc. 1967/68 also a band Fifth Edition in what was the Unionist Hall Avoca st ,I also used Manor St Boys Club when Rab and Dave Lawther  where running it ,new Jackie Nicoll when he lived Alloa st ,always a community person.The 77 bus to the Waterworks or Sammy Hustons Jazz Club Victoria St A crew of us used to gather in the doorway of shop Manor St first in from the Oldpark must have been next to where you lived. I knew loads of people from the river streets plus Dargle, Avonbeg Annalea Roe Mountview,etc.Rem Mckibbins shop corner Century St. Ebenezer hall Eleanor Lynn flower shop Joe Davisons pawn shop.Dimples45 was a friend of my sister  .regards
If this is old age I hope I die young

tboy

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 09:46:38 PM »
the ena sharples land of little gospel halls. :smile:

dimples45

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 08:58:34 AM »
Hi kkay yes i remember the band The Feet and them playing Midnight Hour etc. 1967/68 also a band Fifth Edition in what was the Unionist Hall Avoca st ,I also used Manor St Boys Club when Rab and Dave Lawther  where running it ,new Jackie Nicoll when he lived Alloa st ,always a community person.The 77 bus to the Waterworks or Sammy Hustons Jazz Club Victoria St A crew of us used to gather in the doorway of shop Manor St first in from the Oldpark must have been next to where you lived. I knew loads of people from the river streets plus Dargle, Avonbeg Annalea Roe Mountview,etc.Rem Mckibbins shop corner Century St. Ebenezer hall Eleanor Lynn flower shop Joe Davisons pawn shop.Dimples45 was a friend of my sister  .regards
hi dougie boy..i take it your bettys brother either tom or ernie ..last spoke to betty few years ago in town is she still in ballybeen ..and edna lived east belfast last time i seen her..how is the rest of your family..  dimples45

dougie boy

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 09:15:36 PM »
Hi there yes I am Betty's youngest brother and she is still in Ballybean Edna lives off the Newtownards Rd ,John bottom Albertbridge Tom  Carmoney, Margaret Lisburn,and you probably know Fred died.I mentioned the name Dimples to Betty and she came straight out with your name.I was in Belfast in March and called round the old place ,not much left ,went in the old hall and could not believe how small it was. What about your family ,I remember Tucker ,Jimmy and I know you had a sister or two .A couple of memories from the bottom of Barrow St ,the time the lorry went through the wall and when your house was alight 
If this is old age I hope I die young

honestmay

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 11:48:41 PM »
HI KKAY i recall the band feet .if my memory serves me rite they played in the starlite on a wednesday nite 2 of the names i recall r SAM & ALEC ,sam came from aloa st i think . :scratch_ones_head: ::)