Author Topic: manor street, belfast 14  (Read 109160 times)

DOFFER

Re: manor street, belfast 14
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 09:04:15 PM »
cricky  there lays a tale  manor st  ,,,,,,,when i was a kid i think it was just before the war ended we had no where to live we moved from room to rooms all over the place one such room was in manor st  well cant recall how long we were there not much longer than a few weeks we were all in bed mum /dad my two brothers  anyhow suddenly whole place lit up lots of noise  banging on the door it was the police telling us to get out as it happens mr moffet the chemist /crumlin rd lived other side st he and his son took us to his place for the night  i was wee but later found out the reason for all the mayhem   two women who lived in ground floor had been arrested  because 3/4 dead babies had been found mummified  in the basement i know every time after that when i passed manor st i ran like the wind  still scared  of being locked in basement  :swoon:          funny how stuff stays with you
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

Gnucker

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 04:49:48 PM »
Hi kkay
         The girls i knew from the first house in Manor St were called the Kanes i cannot remember their first names,They had a friend called Valerie Cavanagh from i think it was Court st off the Crumlin Road. 

dimples45

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 10:56:24 PM »
Hi there yes I am Betty's youngest brother and she is still in Ballybean Edna lives off the Newtownards Rd ,John bottom Albertbridge Tom  Carmoney, Margaret Lisburn,and you probably know Fred died.I mentioned the name Dimples to Betty and she came straight out with your name.I was in Belfast in March and called round the old place ,not much left ,went in the old hall and could not believe how small it was. What about your family ,I remember Tucker ,Jimmy and I know you had a sister or two .A couple of memories from the bottom of Barrow St ,the time the lorry went through the wall and when your house was alight
    HI DOUGIE BOY  I KNEW BETTY WOULD GUESS WHO I WAS TELL HER I WAS ASKING FOR HER WE HAD SOME GREAT TIMES TOGETHER..GLAD ALL THE FAMILY ARE WELL..ARE YOU STILL IN BELFAST..BET YOU SEEN A BIG CHANGE IN THE AREA IN MARCH LAST TIME I SAW IT YOUR HOUSE IN AVOCA ST WAS TURNED INTO FLATS.. DIMPLES45

jeano

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 04:34:12 PM »
 :smile: Lived in number 20 Southport st. We lived there in the sixties. Name is Owens 2 brothers Jim and Stephen.   

denking

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 10:39:15 AM »
Hi Douggie,

i lived in Foyle Street and remember the coal lorry running down Barrow Street ands smashing into the wall just part Adairs shop. The groans of that lorry woke us all up. I remember the houses on the left after Adairs shop and the time prisoners  broke out of the jail and sprayed machine bullets threw the womans window.  Lucky she was bending over washing her twins when it happened. I also remember the Lawthers in Manor St club.  I used to go there.  Also remember playing in 'The diddies' facing Houston & Williamsons.  Happy days then!!
Dennis King

dougie boy

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2010, 06:49:08 PM »
Hi Denis and welcome to BF I remember big Satch Wilkinson and his brother from Foyle st .What were the  Diddies opposite Houston and Williams ? There was a large war memorial plaque fixed to the wall at the bottom of Foyle st against the butchers wall i wonder if it was saved .
If this is old age I hope I die young

jimbo1

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 09:49:25 PM »
Hi Kkay, i remember the Kane girls from Manor Street. I think they moved to Elizabeth St in the Falls in 69.
I think there was a Kate, who went out with Jimmy McAuley from Bann St. Another sister was called Breige.
Valerie Cavanagh (who I had my eye on) was from Liffy Street. Does anyone remember Christine Sayeth from Shannon St.

William_D

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 10:00:54 AM »
Anyone know anything about the Wallace`s that lives(d) in Manor street?

Ulster1922

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011, 10:47:56 AM »
I remember Hagen's. My aunt & granny lived on Nore St & I played with the the kids from Barrow St to the Oldpark Rd.
Brings back a lot of memories from before I came to the USA in 1961\Would love to hear from anyone from that era.
Billy Scott
No matter where I roam, Belfast will always be my home.

edmor

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 05:24:39 AM »
Oh! OK. Got you. I think
  Welcome to the forum  Ulster I'm from Louisa St.   There are quite a few people from around Manor St. here. 8) 8)
Pox vobiscum     Savagin'  done....chape.    Hillbillies caint spel     Proud to be a usual suspect     REM 1697

Ulster1922

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 08:01:52 AM »
Hi Ed, Just got this post after I asked where you lived. My mum had a friend named Minnie Dadidson who lived on Louisa St. down past the wee shop on the right, & I had a great aunt who lived off Louisa St. (Colleen, do remember the name of the street aunt Flo lived on?).
I went to Lynn Memorial on Baden Powell St. & then Finiston.

Erincyprus

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 08:10:31 AM »
I remember Hagen's. My aunt & granny lived on Nore St & I played with the the kids from Barrow St to the Oldpark Rd.
Brings back a lot of memories from before I came to the USA in 1961\Would love to hear from anyone from that era.
Billy Scott

Dolly & Robert Hagan who had the Shop in Manor Street are relatives of mine and the Hagans from Nore Street Ulster1922 they all moved to Canada many years ago.  Also the Cunningham's of Liffey Street were my Father's Family.

A few Generations of my Family lived in Nore Street some were Johnston's who came from Scotland.

Erin   
God made Whisky to stop the Irish ruling the World

Ulster1922

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 08:23:47 AM »
Hello Erin & thank you for the post. I would sure love to make a trip back home to see old friend's, but I doubt any of them live there any more. A new friend of mine from Belfast posted  a video on You Tube & it looks like a totally new area. The houses are all different & the street's seem to have been split in two.

Erincyprus

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 08:37:27 AM »
Hi U1922,

Yes all changed in that area.  I never lived there myself but did visit quite a lot.  Maybe someone living in that area could take a few snaps and post them for you.

You could post something looking for Friends and maybe someone on the Forum will know some of the people and put you in touch.

Get yourself home for a wee visit sometime U1922 there are always plenty of people to meet with... in at the moment a Cold, Wet, Belfast.  :) 

Erin
God made Whisky to stop the Irish ruling the World

dougie boy

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2011, 02:52:47 PM »
could that be Billy Scott of Foyle St,my older brother used to run around with a crew from the area   his name John Dougan ,Avoca St
If this is old age I hope I die young