Author Topic: Pigs Feet  (Read 10111 times)

bobdenn

Re: Pigs Feet
« Reply #105 on: December 24, 2011, 10:31:10 PM »
Does anyone remember Hugh Gemmell's butchers shop on Albertbridge Road and the verses he wrote on the shop window
Example - "They come from far they come from near they come by car and aeroplane to get the feet they love so well freshly cooked by Hugh Gemmell"
He was then moving shop and wrote - Christmas comes but once a year when it comes again we won't be here we'll be down at 83 with something tastey for you tea"

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3124.0

Hugh Gemmell - number 63.

63         Hugh Gemmell, black pudding manufacturer

spanner

« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2011, 08:42:53 PM »
Anyone remember the shop on the Old Lodge rd at the corner of Leadbetter st .
They done a roaring trade in Pig's feet , Elder & Veal

kellysgirl

« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2011, 09:27:54 PM »
Spanner, what exactly was elder?  I recall seeing it in butcher's shops years back and had a horrible idea it was udder or something.  Never ate it myself.  :P 

shamrock249

« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2011, 09:57:45 PM »
kellysgirl,  I have heard of Elder but to be honest I can't remember just what it was. After reading your post it peaked my interest and I tried to look it up in Google and Wikipedia and could find no reference. I even looked it up in the dictionary and found nothing. Weird. Perhaps someone can enlighten us.
Signed   Mrs Cullen's wee son Jimmy.

kellysgirl

« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2011, 10:09:26 PM »
Hi Shamrock 249, I too have googled and it was quite hard to find but eventually a couple of sites discussing offal came up and it is described as pressed cow's udder. It's basically breast tissue.  Not sure what goodness there would be in it. I still think I'll pass!   :blink:

spanner

« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2011, 11:56:49 PM »
Hi Shamrock 249, I too have googled and it was quite hard to find but eventually a couple of sites discussing offal came up and it is described as pressed cow's udder. It's basically breast tissue.  Not sure what goodness there would be in it. I still think I'll pass!   :blink:
Yeah , that's the gear , brilliant between 2 big O'hara's heels

shamrock249

« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2011, 01:15:39 AM »
I agree with you kellysgirl, I think I'll pass as well.
Signed   Mrs Cullen's wee son Jimmy.

Gerry1963

« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2011, 09:51:48 AM »
I remember smelly Tommys shop at the bottom of Brompton Park? in Ardoyne selling pigs trotters  . They fitted in well in that place the cream buns had flies footprints all over them .
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be