Author Topic: St Malachy's College  (Read 282786 times)

sj

Re: St Malachy's College
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2010, 08:30:57 AM »
When I was there, his subject was officially titled "Elocution". However, that seemed to cover a lot of ground, ranging from proper forms of address to (I clearly remember) instructions on how to wipe your bottom properly. He also did a bit of RE, in the form of Bible studies. His biblical interpretations tended to be rather basic - to this day, I have word-perfect recall of his quotations from Paul which condemned homosexuality. BTW is it true that he operated a pirate IRA radio station during WW2 and had been interned?

Frog doesn't ring any bells. Our French teacher was "Sambo".

Frog had been at the college for a long time.  I think that he left in the early 60's.  He would have fitted in well at Horgwortz.  He had a gown that had been attacked by many students knives and scissors.  Dynan travelled far and wide but the story about him running a pirate I.R.A. radio station could be fanciful but then if Cassiday  ( Latin)was a well know G.A.A. athlete then anything is possible.

I knew many boarders and one amusing story was about John Carey being the boarders barber.  Walter was saying his office in the college chapel and smelt burning.  Upon investigation he discovered that the smell of burning flesh was coming from behind the Altar.  When he looked around the corner he observed John singeing a students hair with a light taper ( he was finishing a grew cut) and another boarder was sitting in a chair waiting on his turn.
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

brianmckeever

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2010, 08:41:02 AM »
Now I remember Frog. Dan something. So it was the frogmarch he adapted to move us firstyears out of the way. I thought it was the goosestep.
I'm just checking my pockets for the thirty quid now. I might have to ask for terms.

stickyra

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2010, 10:04:56 AM »
I never knew Dirty Dick Dynan to lay into anyone 1958-1964, certainly Purdy did. He waited for me every morning at the head of the avenue, hiding in the door of the English school, to dole out two for being late. Walter did the same for a couple of years prior before he grew tired and delegated to Purdy. Purdy died of a brain tumour not too long after. (RIP).  Afternoons of my last year 1964 was spent mainly at the Plaza midday hop or roaming North Down in John Conway's old Standard Vanguard. He tried to drive the thing up to Napoleon's Nose.

Dynan laid into a few guys in my class circa ,73
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

sj

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2010, 10:36:33 AM »
Now I remember Frog. Dan something. So it was the frogmarch he adapted to move us firstyears out of the way. I thought it was the goosestep.
I'm just checking my pockets for the thirty quid now. I might have to ask for terms.

Brian....stickya is correct.  He was called Frog because he taught FRENCH.   Mick Mc Cormick ( p.e.) once said that if he had had blades on his feet that he would have made a good lawnmower. :D

brianmckeever

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2010, 11:16:08 AM »
Stickyra, ask muckermcd if he had a brother Raymond who for a strange reason we called Petesy.

sj

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2010, 11:41:01 AM »
Brian,

I only know two people with the name mc Keever....one was Jim who played basketball and G.A.A. and taught at the Ranch  ( that name just came to me)  and a Mrs Mc Keever who teaches at Our Lady of Lourdes( Antrim Rd,) Park Lodge. where I have two grandsons.  Any relation?? ;)

You and everyone else on this thread seems to be years younger than I am.  Wellyrec is near my age and we almost bumped into one another years ago. :smile:

I spent one of the coldest Winters that I have ever experienced in the nissen hut on the edge of the big field in 1960 when I was in senior 1b.  It even snowed .

brianmckeever

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2010, 11:49:23 AM »
No relation SJ. Jim and his brother Dennis played for Derry.
I had three brothers at the college. Frank and Cormac both received Kings Scholarships. They were too hard an act for me to follow. Peter preferred to play hurling and took to drink at an early age.
Och sure didn't youse have a coal-burning stove in the nissen hut.

sj

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2010, 12:14:27 PM »
No relation SJ. Jim and his brother Dennis played for Derry.
I had three brothers at the college. Frank and Cormac both received Kings Scholarships. They were too hard an act for me to follow. Peter preferred to play hurling and took to drink at an early age.
Och sure didn't youse have a coal-burning stove in the nissen hut.

I have a good memory , as is yours,but I can't recall any coal. .or maybe it was because I was near the door.  The door must have been hung by a Chinese carpenter and there was enough space at the bottom for a good Limbo dancer to crawl under. :smile:

brianmckeever

« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2010, 01:11:54 PM »
SJ in China. Have you heard of Rewi Allen, a New Zealander? People here in NZ are told that he was considered a God in China. Nothing to do with St Malachys, I'm aware.

sj

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2010, 02:07:33 PM »
SJ in China. Have you heard of Rewi Allen, a New Zealander? People here in NZ are told that he was considered a God in China. Nothing to do with St Malachys, I'm aware.

Brian. .I wasn't aware that you were in N.Z. but I did wonder how you were able to be on the B.F. at the same time as myself.   I am in contact with Dessi Clarke ( W.A.) and Seamus Mc Dade ( Canada) and I will tell them about this thread.

Rewi Alley ??? was a N.Zlander who was a great supporter of the party in China.  I have heard of him but not from foreigners  .only from Chinese people.  What struck me about the Chinese was that Buddism is alive and well but it is not classed as a religion but a way of life.

My wife was born in China as her parents were Anglican missionaries in Chongqing.
Back to St Malachy's college. .Are your brothers older or younger than you....Sam

brianmckeever

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2010, 02:33:16 PM »

Back to St Malachy's college. .Are your brothers older or younger than you....Sam
So NZ has got a claim to some good work done by Rewi!
I was the youngest of the family. Cormac went to the college around 1946, Peter around 1948 and Frank around 1950. I didn't get there until 1958. Both Peter and Frank were good alley players. When Frank went to Queens he took up squash and went on to play for Ulster and Ireland. Like I said before Peter took up the drink early and regrettably(?) I followed suit. Only Cormac and I are left and also our only sister.

wellyrec

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2010, 08:43:24 AM »

You and everyone else on this thread seems to be years younger than I am.  Wellyrec is near my age and we almost bumped into one another years ago. :smile:
[

/quote]

yep sam 61 this year. ....i think purdy enjoyed giving the strap   ..cassidy the cane   and lefty lenaghan i think it was the stap  .be interesting to highlight each "teachers" preference  ie strap/cane. who used strap only. :angry2:

sj

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2010, 07:06:26 AM »

[

/quote]

yep sam 61 this year. ....i think purdy enjoyed giving the strap   ..cassidy the cane   and lefty lenaghan i think it was the stap  .be interesting to highlight each "teachers" preference  ie strap/cane. who used strap only. :angry2:

It's a small world Wellyrec. .St Malachy's college was a place of some character and spirit when it had boarders staying.  Howwever I never met a fat boarder ;)

Sailortown Man

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2010, 04:05:30 PM »
Went there 1973-1980 (went to Park Lodge too, wallion).  Stickyra you and I must be of the same vintage as Gerry O'Toole was in my year.  He and I exchanged messages on Facebook recently.  Knew his brother Jim well too.

poogle

« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2010, 10:51:21 PM »
Sailortown,
 I know stickyra and Gerry-so I  must know you.   

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy