Author Topic: St Malachy's College  (Read 282793 times)

hungry homer

Re: St Malachy's College
« Reply #780 on: June 16, 2020, 12:34:57 PM »
I've just been informed on the St. Pat's Knock page, that Fr. O'Sullivan who taught at St. Malachys for many years before he came to St. Pats, has died.
R.I.P. Fr. O'Sullivan

Alliance

« Reply #781 on: July 26, 2020, 02:59:36 PM »
As I perused the pages of this thread I can see truth in many of those recalling memories of their time spent at the college. I was a pupil at the college when it was an all male institution in terms of pupils and teaching staff. It was only a short time after I left that a female joined the teaching staff and I cannot therefore testify as to whether the atmosphere changed thereafter.
During my 7 years at the college corporal punishment was clearly evident as indeed was physical and verbal reprimand. I did not escape either as a pupil. There was a skill in taking punishment from the cane or strap. The most resilient of pupils offered stretched out hands to receive the determined number of slaps without even flinching. Others would stretch out their hand but at the last minute withdraw it out of abject fear. They would be unceremoniously warned not to repeat this tactic as the rest of the class looked on. The level of fear was such that instinct often took over and the hand would again be pulled away. This infuriated most teachers who would then grab the pupil by the wrist in order to ensure that the hand could not be pulled away and the cane or strap would therefore made solid contact with the palm. The most frustrating pupil was the one who never held their arm out straight for the teacher but rather kept it bent at 90 degrees at the elbow with their palm in line with their ear. He would then begin a Riverdance style movement which meant that the teacher had no chance of administering the punishment even if he held the pupil by the wrist. Invariably the teacher gave up out of frustration and determined an alternative retribution in order not to lose face. This sometimes involved a more physical altercation. I was once subjected to a severe hair pulling by my English teacher as I sat at my desk in room B14. I admit that I had spoken out of turn but certainly did not deserve the treatment I received. I remember the pain of it to this day. I was so so close to swinging around and thumping the teacher in the head, despite knowing that I would be expelled. He must have let go at that exact moment and I sank down into my chair holding my head to try to ease the agonising pain. I don't remember anything after that except that he came to me at the end of class and apologised for what he had done. I never forgave him and determined that no one would ever do that to me again. He was one teacher of many but I will leave recollections of them for a future thread.

See Me

« Reply #782 on: August 14, 2020, 10:48:33 PM »
Here’s a very long shot. When I first arrived in 1965, an exuberant 6th-former called Derek Davis was fronting a project to make a cine film (I use the old phrase because I remember the clockwork camera that they used) of daily College life. Derek went on to a very successful career as an RTE presenter. It’s possible that not much came of the film project because Derek had many other interests (I once saw him fronting a showband in Donegal) and sadly he died in 2015 so we can’t ask him. If you unearth anything, let us know.
Good luck with your research.

A very long shot, maybe....but even in those days, it seems, film projects had someone on the sidelines doing “making of” still pictures.

Here is one such picture of said project showing the intrepid blond-haired Mr. Davis directing Scene 3, Take 1. The person doing the actual filming appears to be Patrick Lane, (although I can't be 100% sure of that), elder brother of Peter Lane who was murdered during the troubles. The main protagonist in the film was Piers Tweedale RIP.

Whatever became of the film, I'm afraid I have no idea. I would assume that it had its premier at the annual hobbies exhibition in the assembly hall in 1966 (if it made it past the censors), but some others might be able to shed more light on its history.

wee legs

« Reply #783 on: August 15, 2020, 08:46:17 PM »
I have no memory of Derek's film ever being shown. I'm fairly sure I would have known because I was a very junior member of the Photographic Society (older members included Dennis Newberry, Jim Crawford, Tim Young) and would have taken an interest. Film purchasing and processing were expensive in those pre-digital days so someone must have looked after the results, but who? Not much hope of finding it today because celluloid film needs careful looking after to survive 50+ years.

Interesting remark about the possible censorship! I'm sure the Boss would have wanted to scrutinise the results before they were made public.

The Photographic Society had access to a room in the clerical students' old wing, now long demolished and replaced, where I remember handling Derek's clockwork cine camera. A few years later, thanks to Noel Conway's support, we were also given an equipped darkroom in the same wing. The school caretaker was a skilful joiner and he built a bench over the bath in the ground floor of one of the houses (in Adela Place?) that together made up the students' old wing. Health & Safety wasn't a big concern in those days because Noel Conway gave me a handful of electrical plugs and sockets and send me off to wire them up. Luckily, he had overestimated my electrical experience and I came back to him for help. If I hadn't, that wing could have been demolished much sooner!

I eventually became President of the Society (what a grand title!) mainly because the membership had dropped to a handful and no-one else wanted to take on the job.
just keep going, it's better than the alternative.

stiofan

« Reply #784 on: August 16, 2020, 02:21:31 AM »

Alpine Fan

« Reply #785 on: September 12, 2020, 08:59:49 PM »
Hairball 5

I disagree with your profile of Fergus O’Duffy where you allege that he was interested only in the pupils who came from better off homes.

I came from a working class home, as did many others in my class and we were never treated in any way other than with fairness. For many years Fergus O’Duffy taught me and I am indebted to him for all that I learned. He was also very helpful regarding careers guidance for many students.

You may like to know that when Fergus died, he was almost penniless as he had given virtually all of his wealth to charities.  That is hardly the action of a person allegedly pandering to the rich.

irishcolum

« Reply #786 on: October 12, 2020, 01:18:40 AM »
THE VERY REVEREND JOHN O’SULLIVAN –
The Very Reverend John (RIP), died 15th June 2020, peacefully at his late residence, Nazareth House Care Home Belfast, on his 96th Birthday, dearly beloved brother of the Late Robert and Marie O’Sullivan.Deeply regretted by his nieces Patricia, Geraldine and Sheelagh and the O’Sulllivan family circle, by the Bishops, priests and deacons and religious of the Diocese of Down and Connor, and by his many friends.Requiem Mass will take place on Thursday 18th June at 12 Noon in St Joseph’s Church, Glenavy, followed by interment in the adjoining cemetery.
It is with great regret that due to the current restrictions the funeral will be PRIVATE.
The funeral can be followed by the Glenavy and Killead Parish Facebook page.
May He rest in Peace.

Posted on FindaGrave.com

hungry homer

« Reply #787 on: October 12, 2020, 08:47:12 AM »
Irishcolum,
As it's coming up to Halloween, are you going round as the grim reaper? :o

irishcolum

« Reply #788 on: October 12, 2020, 06:14:37 PM »
Be careful Homer, else you might find your way on to my list.... :D

BSOH

« Reply #789 on: October 15, 2020, 11:07:06 PM »
I've just been informed on the St. Pat's Knock page, that Fr. O'Sullivan who taught at St. Malachys for many years before he came to St. Pats, has died.
R.I.P. Fr. O'Sullivan
I had him as a maths teacher in the mid 1950s.  think he was less interested in maths than in yarning with the soccer-heads in the class. Nickname "John L", I suspect in reference to a famous Irish-American boxer - or maybe he really did have a second name beginning with L. May he rest in peace.

On a totally different topic, I've just noticed that what used to be my saved shortcut to the Old Boys Association at smcoba.org now points to the Old Boys Association of Stella Maris College Port Harcourt which as we all know (thanks to Wee Po, my geography teacher also in the mid 1950s) is in Nigeria. Moral: use it or lose it (the web address that is).

Cambrinus

« Reply #790 on: January 28, 2021, 02:50:05 PM »
Thanks Stiofan that link was a great read. That final was indeed a heartbreaker. I dont know how this could have happened but I remember playing on the same team as Martin in a match. I was obviously much younger. Maybe it was an end of term thing or sports day? I was not a particularly gifted player but I did love playing. Is it possible that the bus fire was on the way to Clones for a match?
There are two photographs of that bus fire, on the M1, on p.78 of the 1969-70 Collegian. I think it was when we played St. Macartans's, Monaghan, in the Rannafast Cup; so it was probably Clones, but I do not remember.

Cambrinus

« Reply #791 on: January 28, 2021, 02:58:23 PM »
One thing I could never understand was the post of Dean of Discipline. Many or most of the teachers seemed perfectly prepared to use the cane or the strap, so what was the point of having a Dean of Discipline to do the same thing? Just curious.
Well, Fr. Murray and Fr. Purdy would do the rounds between lessons and at break/lunch times, just keeping an eye out for any rule-breaking. They patrolled at lesson-breaks and would slap the whole class (with that stubby bit of leather they carried) if you were seated in a  classroom with the door closed. I remember Fr. Purdy's untimely and sudden death being  announced in Mr Cavanagh's French class - we very nearly cheered!

Cambrinus

« Reply #792 on: January 28, 2021, 03:02:08 PM »
If the chant had anything to do with a certain member of the office staff, then I do. Looking back on it now, it was pretty cruel to single out someone who was just doing his job, although at the time it was funny. It's lucky that we grow up, really.
I vaguely remember that, Jim, but the main chant was, of course, a rather facetious reference to the impending 1970s World Cup, by some Junior boys (of whom I was one). I think there was a banner, too.

Cambrinus

« Reply #793 on: January 28, 2021, 03:08:36 PM »
Instructions given by Chris at
http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,26595.0.html
some years ago, but probably still valid.
Photos now available, mostly without names, at the School website (click on Alumni/Alumni Network/Collegian Photographs)

BSOH

« Reply #794 on: January 28, 2021, 03:54:39 PM »
If names are wanted (GDPR?) they'd better get a move on...not all of us will live for ever!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy