Author Topic: St Malachy's College  (Read 282791 times)

stickyra

St Malachy's College
« on: May 11, 2010, 02:35:51 PM »
Any ex St. Malachy's guys out there?
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

maggiemay

Re: St Malachy's College
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 09:46:46 PM »
My  6  sons went  to St Malachys
Name O'Toole
Maggie

stickyra

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 11:03:33 PM »
Gerry?

wellyrec

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 11:44:48 PM »
[

/

1963   1968   

stiofan

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 03:26:09 AM »
My late father was there in the 1940s. My brother and I went there in the late 1960s. Dad loved the place, and could never understand why my brother and I hated it.

The educational standards were high, but my abiding memory of the place is the bleakness. Education was something to be thumped into the students, and there was no joy of learning. After 5 years at St Malachy's, I went to a comprehensive in Australia and the contrast was stunning. In Australia, we had teachers who were passionate about their subjects, as opposed to teachers who had been dictating the same notes for years (in some cases, since my dad had been a pupil there) and whose pedagogical imagination didn't extend beyond the cane or the strap.

Sorry if that sounds negative. I'm sure that there were people who enjoyed the place!

maggiemay

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 07:20:23 AM »
Yes Stickyra
Gerry is one of my sons
Maggie

muckermcd

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 07:27:48 AM »
My Brother is the Vice Principal there and has been for many a year.

stickyra

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 11:01:16 AM »
Yes Stickyra
Gerry is one of my sons
Maggie

Maggiemay I hope I am getting the right generation. I went to Holy family Primary with Gerry O Toole, one of my best friends, and then on to St Malachy's with him in the early seventies. Is it the right Gerry? He used to live on Alexander Park Avenue?

stickyra

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 11:02:11 AM »
My Brother is the Vice Principal there and has been for many a year.

Muckermcd I am trying to think who your brother might be.

stickyra

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 11:05:02 AM »
My late father was there in the 1940s. My brother and I went there in the late 1960s. Dad loved the place, and could never understand why my brother and I hated it.

The educational standards were high, but my abiding memory of the place is the bleakness. Education was something to be thumped into the students, and there was no joy of learning. After 5 years at St Malachy's, I went to a comprehensive in Australia and the contrast was stunning. In Australia, we had teachers who were passionate about their subjects, as opposed to teachers who had been dictating the same notes for years (in some cases, since my dad had been a pupil there) and whose pedagogical imagination didn't extend beyond the cane or the strap.

Sorry if that sounds negative. I'm sure that there were people who enjoyed the place!

Stiofan: I know what you mean. It had not changed a great deal by the early seventies and I have mixed feelings about the place. There were one or two teachers who should not have been allowed anywhere near young people. Unfortuntely they are dead now so I will not live out my fanasies about the retribution I always had in my heart to deal out to them when I got old enough.

Geraldine

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 12:04:03 PM »

Stiofan: I know what you mean. It had not changed a great deal by the early seventies and I have mixed feelings about the place. There were one or two teachers who should not have been allowed anywhere near young people. Unfortuntely they are dead now so I will not live out my fanasies about the retribution I always had in my heart to deal out to them when I got old enough.

Fortunately or unfortunately they are dead now!!! :smile:
For to be free is not merely to cast off ones chains but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.          Nelson Mandela

Geraldine

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 12:07:58 PM »

Some of the classrooms at our school, Crumlin Road Convent faced some of the classrooms of St. Malachy's.
You would have thought we had never seen boys in our lives the way we would be hanging out the windows and shouting after the boys.  :D
Of course we had the severest punishment when we got caught  :angry2:
For to be free is not merely to cast off ones chains but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.          Nelson Mandela

maggiemay

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 02:09:20 PM »
HI Stickyra
Yes that's our Gerry.He lives in Singapore,been there about 16 years.Three kids ,two girls and one son.
Maggiemay

rayk

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 11:41:19 PM »

Hi, Went to St Malachys 56 to 63. Patch Kerr was President followed by Walter Larkin. Beef McCorry was Dean. - Ray

stickyra

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 06:53:49 AM »
HI Stickyra
Yes that's our Gerry.He lives in Singapore,been there about 16 years.Three kids ,two girls and one son.
Maggiemay

Maggiemay, I have been trying to get in touch with Gerry for many years. I was trying through friends re-united but no success. I knew from there he was in Singapore. Thanks for the info, I will PM you my email address - maybe you could pass it on.  Do you remember giving out for me for taking him in to a damp forest  around 1972 which led to him getting an asthma attack?
 :blush2:

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy