Author Topic: Is our mountain on fire yet?  (Read 1933 times)

No1yogi

Is our mountain on fire yet?
« on: June 15, 2006, 01:06:04 PM »
Is anyone else sick to death of seeing the mountain go up in smoke?

Christopher

Re: Is our mountain on fire yet?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 02:30:05 PM »
Hiya No1yogi,

What mountain do you mean ??? White Mountain, Black Mountain, Cavehill ???

No1yogi

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 03:38:22 PM »
Black mountain, wee hoods set about 20 fires on it every other day, the hatchet field has been destroyed

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 04:05:44 PM »
Hiya No1yogi,

The Hatchet field? What is that? I have never heard of it. Is it of historical importance or merely of interest to locals? Was there rare flora and fauna there?

Best Wishes, Christopher

No1yogi

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 04:18:27 PM »
The hatchet field is a part of the mountain thats in the shape of a .. well hatchet, it overlooks the whiterock (where i live) and ballymurphy, there is an old story involving a giant or something droping his hatchet but maybe someone else remembers that. Unfortunatly there have been a few suicides there over the years. Hope somebody remembers the old tale

Mageeka

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 02:34:30 AM »
Know the "Hatchet field "well NO1. It is a pity that such a landmark is being destroyed
Used to camp there as a kid . Do you remember an old guy named" Bucky Beard " who lived somewhere on the mountain loney ?

Christopher

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 03:53:53 AM »
Was there a family by the name Lundy in that area ???

Frank

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 10:20:43 PM »
I spent hours on Black Mountain as a kid. Do you remember the paddling pool & is it still there.
Theres only one cure for home sickness

Frank

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 11:14:25 PM »
Dont answer that. I just looked on google earth and the paddling pool is no more,nor is the waterfall as we called it at the top of the loney.Boy that water was so cold.

Frank

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 02:53:30 PM »
I asked my older brother if he remembered Bucky Beard, & he thinks that bucky lived in a cottage at the end of the lane that led to the farm house where Dermot Hill is now

cos

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 03:03:10 PM »
The waterfall or rather water that came out of the rock at the top of the mountain loney was diverted into a farmer`s field in 1964 and covered over  following a series of accidents.A child`s head was crushed as they drank water ,by a rock slide started by vandals furthur up the mountain.I witnessed it and will never forget it.

Christopher

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 03:13:26 PM »
Divis and the Black Mountain were in private ownership until 2005 when they were opened
to the public by the National Trust. The area is of interest to archeaologists, botanists and historians.

cos

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 03:31:03 PM »
The very same thing has happened to Slievenacloy mountain near Stoneyford-nice walks,information etc.

btheboot

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 11:09:02 PM »
Know the "Hatchet field "well NO1. It is a pity that such a landmark is being destroyed
Used to camp there as a kid . Do you remember an old guy named" Bucky Beard " who lived somewhere on the mountain loney ?
when i lived in highfield we were up the mountain a lot,i remember the hatchet field and another one we called the bottle field. bertie the butt collector walked the streets with a sack collecting cigarette butts, i never saw him smoke. we thought he lived up the glencairn. i think the rushlight site has stories about the hatchet field

bern

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 08:59:36 PM »
we played up the hatchet field when we were young, walked over to the gully for a lovely cold drink of water.the view over belfast from there is beautiful tho we didnt take much notice of it then.we used to collect  frogspawn and spricks from the rockdam and carry them home in a wee tin. still would take a walk there  now. there was supposed to be a murder commited at the hatched field in the late 1800,s .There is a statue of padre pio at the top of the mountain loney loads of people
visit it .