Author Topic: WERE YOU A PLAZA HOPPER  (Read 6699 times)

sydenhambetty

Re: WERE YOU A PLAZA HOPPER
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 08:10:58 PM »
Mr. G don,t tell me you were one of those types that only went to the Floral Hall and such :D
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.  Oscar Wilde

BigAgiesMan

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 08:18:13 PM »
We used to go Wednesday lunchtime after lectures  :blind: :D . And the Tramp's Ball was held there during rag week. The oul tramp always tried to hide, but he was invariably found   :girl_blum:
Bord na Móna

Giannineo

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 08:18:46 PM »
oh dear no Betty, the Floral Hall was for oul begs older than me....I was an Astor afficionado..the occasional scrubber from the Falls crept in but mostly ggod South Belfast girls with class ;) :D

McNamee

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 09:40:43 AM »
Bam, if nobody would dance with Bernie she would take the hump...i.e., dance with Quasimodo :swoon:   p.s. I was not allowd to go to thwe Plaza....too many roughs and millies ;) :D

G You should have gone with the rest of us big girls on Wednesday at lunchtime.    :smile: :smile:

IrishDigger

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 11:01:02 AM »
No, the Plaza was a bit rough for me, I preferred the Floral Hall or the Astor.

Anyhow   now matter, if The Cadets or The Royal Showband were on ... then that is where I would go.

Astor

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 11:18:48 AM »
Like Bernie I only ever went to the Plaza lunchtime Wednesdays.  The Astor was my favourite (hence my username :D ) and occasionally Romanos on a Sunday night :smile:    I loved all the showbands as well, used to go to them in London when I moved over here, (now that takes me back more years than I care to remember!!)
Que Sera Sera

widz

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 11:29:32 PM »
Hi Astor hows you keeping these days ;)
Widz

Support the Milltown Babies Campaign!

plaza hopper

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 10:41:04 PM »
THE NAME SOUNDS CRUDE, BUT EVERYBODY I MET IN THE PLAZA WERE CLASS GIRLS. I THINK THE ONES WHO NEVER WENT THERE, MADE THIS NAME UP.
I EVEN MET MY WIFE THERE, WE WERE BOTH 16 AND WE ARE STILL TOGETHER.
APART FROM THE DANCE, SOME PEOPLE MIGHT REMEMBER EDMIN HEATH, THE HYPNOTIST, I GOT UP ON STAGE EVERY TIME HE APPEARED AND THE NIGHTS WERE ALWAYS CLASS, HE EVEN STOPPED ME FROM SMOKING, ( ALTHOUGH I NEVER SMOKED ANYWAY) BUT HE MEANT WELL.
IT WAS A BIG PART OF MY LIFE AND I WOULDN'T CHANGE A THING.
SO IF  LIKE ME, YOU WENT TO THE PLAZA, THEN ALL THE OTHERS DONT KNOW WHAT THEY MISSED.
P.S
PROUD PLAZA HOPPER
hi  I was a very proud plaza hopper loved all the afternoons and nights i remember Edwin Heath being there but mostly i loved the jiving never sat down from the moment we would go in till we left  ahhhh thoes were the days my friend just a pity they had to end   ..plaza hopper :air_kiss: :air_kiss: :air_kiss:

plaza hopper

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 10:46:16 PM »
Proud to say I was a dedicated Plaza Hopper. Both day and night. Always hung out at the side of the stage. Great jivers and memories to
last me a lifetime. :smile:
  Hi Betty how are you,i havent been on for awile hope you are well, only need to mention the plaza and iam of in a world of memories and they are all great.  ...plaza hopper :air_kiss: :air_kiss: :air_kiss:

plaza hopper

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 10:49:10 PM »
Does anybody remember the name of the girl who used to sing like Brenda Lee. I went to the Plaza in the late 50's. I used to go on a Thursday night, and Saturday at lunch-time, under age kids were allowed in. i brought my 11 year old brother to see Ray Ellington
hi Alaun the girls name your looking for is Iris she sang with Brian Rossi.  .plaza hopper :air_kiss: :air_kiss:

Alaun

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2010, 01:51:30 AM »
Thanks for that plaza Hopper, she was great. I just loved the turn-around with the bands, and watching all the good jivers

Geraldine

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010, 10:57:06 AM »
Bam, if nobody would dance with Bernie she would take the hump...i.e., dance with Quasimodo :swoon:   p.s. I was not allowd to go to thwe Plaza....too many roughs and millies ;) :D

G,maybe I am being ultrasensitive and touchy today! :smile:
I take offence at your referral to millies!!
Half the girls in Belfast worked in mills,it was a case of no other jobs available.
These girls were the salt of the earth!!
"There but for the grace of God go I"
How about being less abrasive and cutting of the girls of Belfast working class and just getting to the point and say  "My mammie wouldnt let me go"
PS I have never worked in a mill. :smile:
For to be free is not merely to cast off ones chains but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.          Nelson Mandela

Geraldine

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010, 11:02:16 AM »
oh dear no Betty, the Floral Hall was for oul begs older than me....I was an Astor afficionado..the occasional scrubber from the Falls crept in but mostly ggod South Belfast girls with class ;) :D

G, same here.!!! :angry2:
It seems that you take delight in pulling people, especially women down.
Or should I say women from the Falls down??? You have not mentioned the male counterparts of the scrubbers and millies :smile: :smile: :smile:
This is a lovely thread,and it makes me heartsore to read the above :smile:
For to be free is not merely to cast off ones chains but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.          Nelson Mandela

sydenhambetty

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2010, 02:50:58 PM »
Hi Plaza Hopper, good to see you on. .Long live the El Macambo. :D
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.  Oscar Wilde

Liz51

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2010, 05:53:02 PM »
just seen this..   not nice  :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: