Author Topic: WERE YOU A PLAZA HOPPER  (Read 6742 times)

Giannineo

Re: WERE YOU A PLAZA HOPPER
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2010, 06:40:04 PM »
Geraldine and Rathbone...please note the wink and smiley emoticons on my posts...this was a banter at Mc Namee.... no offence meant at all and sorry you see it that way...were it not for the mill girls, and hard working  factory, mill, shipyard and manufacturing industry workers throughout Northern Ireland the ecenomy of the country would not have survived..I became a great admirer of Sadie Patterson who worked tirelessly for the rights and working conditions of milll girls..if you read back a few posts from mine you would see the quip was following on from banter between Mc Namee , Bam and myself...every time I am in Belfast I have the privilege of sharing the company of two  wonderful ladies who both lived on the Falls Road...there has obviously been a misunderstanding...I do not demean women or their occupations..I am sorry that you have been upset and see where you are coming from...I had friends in my youth from St.Gabriel's Youth Club and at weekends at Newcastle
 who were from West Belfast and some who were employed in mills.  it was always good to meet girls at the Astor who came from the other end of town from me...the Astor was my favourite dance hall.

McNamee

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2010, 07:47:44 PM »
My father was an upholsterer and was employed for years upholstering the sofas in the Plazza, as the boys would rip them almost on a nightly basis. . Kept my father gainfully employed and out of mischief for years.   :smile:

He would have killed me if he had found me in there.

Giannineo

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2010, 07:50:54 PM »
Bernie, maybe I danced with you in the Astor. I was the geek with the specs , freckles, lovely ginger hair and unco-ordinated dancing ;) :D 

McNamee

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2010, 07:55:06 PM »
Sorry G, Don't think I would have gotten up.   lol

You were not allowed to refuse a man a dance at the Astor, he could have had you put out.  So if you had asked me for a dance of course I would have gotten up with you.   :air_kiss:

Giannineo

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2010, 08:23:47 PM »
 Bernie, I never asked the stunners like you as I knew I had no chance :(

Taggart 009

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2010, 08:48:52 PM »
Just been reading this blog for the first time.  I loved the plaza Wednesday lunch times.  Never did find out why that day though was so popular.  Maybe it was a pay day. I learned to jive there and do the Bop :)  Fond memories of those days.

Johnny Carson

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 06:34:07 AM »
Most of my family work at the plaza Mum Dad 3 sisters and on Saturday mornings I would get plastic cups for the afternoons got them in Cromic St and a half crown this was the mid to late 60,s

plaza hopper

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2011, 11:09:41 AM »
Hi Johnny, yes I worked in the Plaza I was the assistant catering manger under Miss Brown, Jim Neill and Peter Robinson, Joe Cerrey did the lighting and Jim Brady worked there, I remember your sister I think Bridie and I think Mary my mother worked there also in 1967 I got transferred to Bristol, I loved the way people talk about it on here you'd think there was murder every night and there mothers wouldn't let them go to it, I got my mother a job in it and she loved it she was there till it closed down, I also went to the same school as your sister St Monicas, they were great days great memories  .plaza hopper  :-* :party:

kate.o

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2011, 11:50:44 AM »
I went to the plaza lunch time,
first time I saw it could not
get over how lovely it was,
allways had a great time. :-* :-*

feejeeks

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2011, 07:05:45 PM »
Taggart
the reason the Plaza was so popular on Wednesday afternoons was in those days the shops closed for the half day and a lot of the shop girls headed for the Plaza.Great days

McCusker

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2011, 09:02:11 AM »
Hi Johnny, yes I worked in the Plaza I was the assistant catering manger under Miss Brown, Jim Neill and Peter Robinson, Joe Cerrey did the lighting and Jim Brady worked there, I remember your sister I think Bridie and I think Mary my mother worked there also in 1967 I got transferred to Bristol, I loved the way people talk about it on here you'd think there was murder every night and there mothers wouldn't let them go to it, I got my mother a job in it and she loved it she was there till it closed down, I also went to the same school as your sister St Monicas, they were great days great memories  .plaza hopper  :-* :party:
Band I was in then played it a few times --brilliant size -- some memories which you would appreciate
The manager then was Peter Robinson married to an ex-tiller girl --wow and had two of those enormous french hunting poodles
Does your tenure go back to the days of Brian Rossi & The Embers and also to the day that stopped
Chichester Street dead --- "Screamin " Lord Sutch arrived and stepped out of a coffin
What about yiz lol  :D :yahoo: :dance1:
"You don't stop laughing when you get old, you get old when you stop laughing!"

plaza hopper

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2011, 09:38:51 AM »
Hi Mc Clusker, I was working in the Plaza when screaming lord Sutch came, he was great. Peter Robinson had one very large black poodle and a White toy one when he left the he gave me the toy poodle Pepe had him for years your right about his wife she was beautiful my mother baby sat for them, I just loved Brain Rossi thought he was the best then they brought the big bands over from England Tony Evans think he is still playing somewhere, what did you call your band do you remember Frankie and the Echoes doing a gig there yes they were great days  ..plaza hopper :-* :-*

McCusker

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2011, 11:21:33 AM »
Hi Mc Clusker, I was working in the Plaza when screaming lord Sutch came, he was great. Peter Robinson had one very large black poodle and a White toy one when he left the he gave me the toy poodle Pepe had him for years your right about his wife she was beautiful my mother baby sat for them, I just loved Brain Rossi thought he was the best then they brought the big bands over from England Tony Evans think he is still playing somewhere, what did you call your band do you remember Frankie and the Echoes doing a gig there yes they were great days  ..plaza hopper :-* :-*

LOl I played with a band then called The Hudson showband and we were approached to play at the Plaza for a night they created called " club or cafe continental night " wow !!! Anyway we had to go up to 11 piece for it and also had all to be seated in the English style and you got off your seat and went and sang
They gave out 500 complimentary tickets to launch it but suprise suprise hundreds more turned up on the night --It was good time but lasted bout two months --- Ned McCrudden was the resident band then
"You don't stop laughing when you get old, you get old when you stop laughing!"

plaza hopper

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2011, 02:00:14 PM »
Yes mc Clusker your right it was Ned mc Crudden he had the quartet he was alovely man came from Andersonstown I always had there teas and coffee ready for them when you could hear the music start up with that unforgettable sound of I'll be loving you always and Brian Rossis band running down the stairs to take their seats on the turn round, maybe I got you your break lol  . Plaza hopper :-* :-*

Johnny Carson

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2011, 02:29:54 AM »
hey Plaza Hopper that was a list from the past and Mr Neals son Paul, he came to Australia twice over the years dad Johnny, mum Kathleen  Mary, Brigde, Mairade. they ball worked there at one time or another. Dad always kept his tux,s and he like to dress flash lol