Author Topic: Disappearing Schools  (Read 14408 times)

RabRow

Re: Disappearing Schools
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2012, 05:56:11 PM »
Being a bit blunt, but maybe in this age of women having more say they decided not to be 'baby machines' anymore, or 'barefoot and pregnant' :)

Giannineo

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2012, 07:05:40 PM »
Being a bit blunt, but maybe in this age of women having more say they decided not to be 'baby machines' anymore, or 'barefoot and pregnant' :)
eh? ??? ???

RabRow

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2012, 07:21:53 PM »
eh? ??? ???

Never heard those sayings before Gia. Ach you must belong to a different generation. :)  Another aul joke one was ''get up the stairs whata think I married ya for'. :) Of course thats all out the winda now and wimmen have come outa the doll's house. So maybe just maybe that may be one reason why there are not so many kids as there use to be at these schools

Mitcher

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2012, 08:27:06 AM »
Saint Marys Primary School.Girls entrance Institution Place,boys Galway St. First one in helped to light the open fires in the classroom.The playground was on the roof over the mixed toilets.Nearly all the pupils lived in the seven streets surrounding it.If you did not turn in someone was sent to your house to find out why? Hard to go on the "beak" from that school. Anyone remember it ?
It ended up as Ignatius Rice youth club and Diso in the early seventies but I remember it well as I lived around there at one time

Townie

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2012, 11:57:20 AM »
Indeed it did Mitcher,the club always carried the name Ignatius Rice Youth Club. However,when the disco was knocked together it opened with the

eye popping name of Pog mo thoin. Most people then never knew what it's English translation was.I suspect you do as you lived in the area then,

let's see how many out there can guess. After extensive work by all the older youth members to get the disco up and running, we were asked by

the local priest if girls were going to be admitted ?. So not only were we opening a disco with a dodgy name,we were also about 35 years ahead

of the Kremlin.

Kopi Luwak

bridge ender

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2012, 10:25:10 PM »
Hi All
  that saying as gaelige  was one that most kids knew and used

Kiss My A**e

BE

Life is lived forwards and understood backwards.

Mitcher

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2012, 11:08:16 PM »
Indeed it did Mitcher,the club always carried the name Ignatius Rice Youth Club. However,when the disco was knocked together it opened with the

eye popping name of Pog mo thoin. Most people then never knew what it's English translation was.I suspect you do as you lived in the area then,

let's see how many out there can guess. After extensive work by all the older youth members to get the disco up and running, we were asked by

the local priest if girls were going to be admitted ?. So not only were we opening a disco with a dodgy name,we were also about 35 years ahead

of the Kremlin.

Can you remember who the two brothers who were youth leaders.  I think one was Phil?  Who was the Priest, Mc Conville?

Townie

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2012, 02:25:54 PM »
Mc Conville was the priest, not sure about the youth leader though.I remember a man from Institution place had a lot to do with it. Harry was the DJ  though and he was great. We used to get the over spill from the Aster disco up to us.If i remember rightly, the club had a girls night followed by a boys night.Who were the girls leaders? :-\
Kopi Luwak

simmons

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2012, 12:30:32 AM »
Hi Again townie,
Their is another post about the youth club, as you say Harry Mcknight was a good dj.
Phip Simmons was running it at that time and all the Lads around sorted out the lghts and othher bits.