Author Topic: doe's anybody else around the world come from ardoyne, or am i the only one  (Read 53834 times)

twins2142

Sorry Dot, I have racked my rapidly disappearing memory cells, but I can't recall the surname.

twins2142

I knew a couple of the keenans
My son George knows a family of Keenans whose 18 year old daughter goes to the same upper 6th form. George believes that they did come from Ardoyne, possibly even Eskdale!! We will try to pass on the forum address.

As an extra; we have just come back from Glasnevin Cemetery having found where (the very, very little known about) Montgomery granddad is interred right beside Michael Collins. Bizarrely the full details of his death cannot be revealed by the authorities for another 6 years, when he  will have been dead 100 years. All evidence points to an assassination as he was pro-treaty and was shot in the Irish Rifles barracks, where no weapons were allowed 9April 1923).

McNamee

I did the tour for Glasnevin a few months ago with some (ole) girls from school...Very interesting the things were learnt.

twins2142

It is certainly worth a visit and has the beautiful Botanical Gardens at the rear. I know it can be a bit morbid, but some of the tombs and vaults are beautiful and very moving. As a point of note the Genealogy Officer ([email protected]) is a fantastically helpful woman. We were also allowed to see the museum free! We were allowed but failed to take a rubbing of the grandad's record, mainly because we couldn't find the right paper or charcoal. So if anyone wants to do something like that, remember tracing paper and charcoal.

Hairoil777

i have a funny feeling that i am the only one around the world who comes from ardoyne. com-on, prove me wrong.

Yes  your wrong,  North Ardoyne or South Ardoyne ,, you didnt make that very clear ?  ::)

twins2142

never knew that people defined Ardoyne as north or south. I live and learn.  :o

DMW

twins2142 - Hairoil777 -  Never heard of North or South Ardoyne  - where's the border line?  The Tram Station ?(south?)  The bottom end of Ligoneil Rd. (north?)
or am I facing the wrong way ?

Hairoil777

twins2142 - Hairoil777 -  Never heard of North or South Ardoyne  - where's the border line?  The Tram Station ?(south?)  The bottom end of Ligoneil Rd. (north?)
or am I facing the wrong way ?

Wrong waY mate  your facing west i think ... ;)

twins2142

Re: doe's anybody else around the world come from ardoyne, or am i the only one
« Reply #188 on: October 11, 2019, 03:59:30 PM »
Hi to all who knew Patsy Montgomery. I use the past tense as sadly, Patsy passed away in Rotorura New Zealand following a long battle with a very rare type of cancer. He did have his wife Miria, his daughter Sabrina and his adopted stepson with him at the time. There was a simple service within 48 hours and although we were unable to attend, I was able to meet up with the family in Ardoyne to celebrate his life. I am sure that many of you like myself, will have very positive memories of him.

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #189 on: October 11, 2019, 06:55:55 PM »
Hi to all who knew Patsy Montgomery. I use the past tense as sadly, Patsy passed away in Rotorura New Zealand following a long battle with a very rare type of cancer. He did have his wife Miria, his daughter Sabrina and his adopted stepson with him at the time. There was a simple service within 48 hours and although we were unable to attend, I was able to meet up with the family in Ardoyne to celebrate his life. I am sure that many of you like myself, will have very positive memories of him.

Very sorry to hear of Patsy's death, I knew Patsy well as kids together in Ardoyne, one of the nicest most inoffensive guys in the world, I knew he was very ill with cancer but it still came as a shock when I read your post, spent most of his life at sea, I actually stayed overnight onboard one of his ships when it was in King George the fifth dock in London in the sixties, His mate Michael Cairns was also working on the ship, god bless you Patsy and thanks for some great memories.....Lay him away on the hillside.
God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!

Tipperdarby

« Reply #190 on: October 11, 2019, 07:27:56 PM »
Oh Bill, I am so sorry to hear this news. I thought about Patsy very recently and was thinking I should send him an email. He and I enjoyed a good correspondence for a few years. He was so proud of his lovely wife and daughter. RIP Patsy. Condolences to you, Sean and Jim.
Eileen

twins2142

« Reply #191 on: October 11, 2019, 08:44:11 PM »
I thank you for those memories and sincere comments. For what it's worth, Patsy was my big brother fearless guardian while we were at St. Gabriel's. Tough school at times. When I hit my teens, he was my idol with more than a little bit of envy at his good looks and almost debonair ways. Little brother Jim remembers his kindness and thoughtfulness above all else. Good memories. Many thanks.

Tipperdarby

« Reply #192 on: October 11, 2019, 09:47:12 PM »
I thank you for those memories and sincere comments. For what it's worth, Patsy was my big brother fearless guardian while we were at St. Gabriel's. Tough school at times. When I hit my teens, he was my idol with more than a little bit of envy at his good looks and almost debonair ways. Little brother Jim remembers his kindness and thoughtfulness above all else. Good memories. Many thanks.
[/quot
Don’t sell yourself short Bill, I remember you were very handsome :P  All you boys were very good looking.
Patsy told me how proud of you he was, he had great admiration at the path you took in your career. He loved his baby brother Jim and had the utmost respect and pride for him.
Eileen

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy