Author Topic: doe's anybody else around the world come from ardoyne, or am i the only one  (Read 53833 times)

justluvbeingme

Re: doe's anybody else around the world come from ardoyne, or am i the only one
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2010, 04:23:19 PM »
Great painting, didn't that become a barber shop later?
hi glenb. not sure if it became a barbers or not . someone says it became a butchers. i painted that from a photograph for my mother r.i.p.
jus,

arder lavery

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 02:12:15 PM »
                                                                                                                                    Dont  bet  on  that  jlbm, WE  have  some  really  old  codgers  on  here,  :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:
i remember it well, but in my day it was a barbers shop.
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

justluvbeingme

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2010, 05:26:04 PM »
i remember it well, but in my day it was a barbers shop.

thanks for that arder, woulld love to know what  kind of shops it became or who owned it  from my granny left ardoyne and moved to a shop in clonard,
jus

arder lavery

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2010, 01:31:27 PM »
here is a painting of my grannys shop in ardoyne. it was at the corner of hooker st and chatham st. theres no one on the forum who will remember it as it was in 1930s/40s.
jus

isn't amazing, i just happened to look at the old pics site and saw photos of an eviction in hooker st, it was right next door to your mothers old shop.

glenb

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2010, 07:38:56 PM »
If it was the barbers then i remember it well, short back and sides....Sat on a plank....The barber was Paddy ???

justluvbeingme

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2010, 02:43:49 AM »
isn't amazing, i just happened to look at the old pics site and saw photos of an eviction in hooker st, it was right next door to your mothers old shop.

hi, arder, can you tell me how to get a look at the old pics site, or where it is, would love to see that, thanks,
jus,

arder lavery

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 01:42:29 PM »

hi, arder, can you tell me how to get a look at the old pics site, or where it is, would love to see that, thanks,
jus,
click on main boards then go into north belfast photos

justluvbeingme

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 08:32:55 PM »
click on main boards then go into north belfast photos

thanks for that arder.
jus

justluvbeingme

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2010, 08:56:24 PM »
hi, arder,
just had a look at all the old pics of north belfast. saw the picture of eviction at hooker st, brilliant picture, but very sad,
thanks again,
jus,

tboy

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2010, 08:20:20 PM »
If it was the barbers then i remember it well, short back and sides....Sat on a plank....The barber was Paddy :scratch_ones_head:
mcloughlin? :smile:

doare.

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2010, 08:32:07 AM »
thats a great painting, a lot of work in that , great detail, my sister lives in ardoyne, estoril pk, they are not locals her husband is whiterock, and she is lower falls area. i grew up in the forties and those shop signs are very familiar to me.my mother died in 2008 and i stayed in ardoyne when i was back there, my niece moved out and let me and 3 of my kids use her house.my kids wandered around and took thousands of pics, they have a canadian accent so i figured no harm would come to them.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” ....shaw..

justluvbeingme

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2010, 11:54:24 AM »

thats a great painting, a lot of work in that , great detail,

thanks doare, i painted that picture for my mother r.i.p. i wasnt born then, but i painted it fom an old photograph.
my daughter now lives in ardoyne,
jus

Dot/dash

Hi there Beller.  I lived in 31 Havana Street.  Some mornings my mom would send me up to Donaldson's to get us a scone each for breakfast.  Maggie Toal's was on the corner where I used to get "Toffets" - those were my favorites. We lived next door to Mrs. Shepherd and Cassie Goodfellow. Rgds. K
love me          love my gelding     

Saoirse2

There certainly is " Arder " !   even your name is an Ardonian way of pronunciation!  Ardoyne is as Ardoyne was and always will be !  A little country all onto its own , when my children (here in Canada ) are asked where did they originate from they answer right away "Ardoyne ", and then they give directions !!!!
You or rather your relatives are from old Ardoyne , I went to school there right across from Toby's,  my relatives lived there, still do,
  " McAuleys ", my Aunt Tilly, Aunt Rose, Uncle Michael, and cousins Seamus (Thunder ), Terrence, David, Maureen , Christine , Rita !  I lived in Glenard ????  Forgive me , but i always say i come from Ardoyne . LOL . Love your pics of Toby's , my Uncle Josie McGuinness from the Lonely used to come and dance there .
I do remember the people in the pics , at least their faces , but cant for the life of me remember the names.
Thank you for the pics and the memories !     

Kateme

There certainly is " Arder " !   even your name is an Ardonian way of pronunciation!  Ardoyne is as Ardoyne was and always will be !  A little country all onto its own , when my children (here in Canada ) are asked where did they originate from they answer right away "Ardoyne ", and then they give directions !!!!
You or rather your relatives are from old Ardoyne , I went to school there right across from Toby's,  my relatives lived there, still do,
  " McAuleys ", my Aunt Tilly, Aunt Rose, Uncle Michael, and cousins Seamus (Thunder ), Terrence, David, Maureen , Christine , Rita !  I lived in Glenard :scratch_ones_head: ?  Forgive me , but i always say i come from Ardoyne . LOL . Love your pics of Toby's , my Uncle Josie McGuinness from the Lonely used to come and dance there .
I do remember the people in the pics , at least their faces , but cant for the life of me remember the names.
Thank you for the pics and the memories !   
Do you remember Annie McCaffrey's shop?  It was just outside the school gates in Brookfield Street.  She had a sister and a brother behind the counter as well.  They were old then - that would have been in the late 50's. My Granny would send me there for "fegs" and Annie or her brother or sister would wrap the change up in brown paper so I wouldn't lose it.  There was also a shop in Hooker Street near Butler Street.  I would get my "Pay" from my Granda on a friday night and then run up to that shop to buy plastic rings.  Remember it as if  it were yesterday. :smile:
“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy