Author Topic: doe's anybody else around the world come from ardoyne, or am i the only one  (Read 47102 times)

Kateme

Dorothy - did you live in Havana Street??
“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”

sky

Laughed at your subject, afraid I can't do Ardoyne but I was reminded of my
Polish friend who swears that his father was the only Sergeant in the Polish Army.
(we live near London, all the Polish exiles profess to be Lieutenants, Captains etc.).  When I lived in Belfast I had " an oul snipey nose".

Kateme

Hello Dorothy. I went to school with Louis Cannon, I remember him as a talented artist and gymnast :smile:
TB:  Is that Loose Cannon??  If so, I'm getting scared now.  :D

tboy

Kateme, you are obviously a young girl :smile:  you don't remember Louis Cannon  or Billy Corbett  or even Fred O'neil or malligan the coal man ;)

tboy

Hi Dorothy:  I lived in 31 Havana Street.  My mother and I came to the US in 1960, when I was 8.  I went to Holy Cross School up until then.  Perhaps you are not my age!!  You would have been across the street from us!! Rgds. Kx
sorry darling i jumped the thing again, good luck :smile:

Kateme

Kateme, you are obviously a young girl :smile:  you don't remember Louis Cannon  or Billy Corbett  or even Fred O'neil or malligan the coal man ;)
Not that young, love - I think I remember Malligan the coal man! :D

skid

Re: doe's anybody else around the world come from ardoyne, or am i the only one
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2011, 11:56:09 PM »
 :smile:  Bluebell, is that really you? :smile: 

:smile:  Skid  :smile:

chi

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2011, 03:02:50 AM »
I lived on Brompton Park and my older sister 's best friend was Mary Malligan who lived on Havana St her dad was the coalman. I still have family in Ardoyne
my best friend Margaret Keenan lived on Jamacia st.
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

glenb

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2011, 08:52:26 PM »
The only coalmen I remember lived either on Etna Drive, or the bottom of Stratford Gardens/Etna drive. They were built like bulls, I think they were Father and Son. They delivered all over Ardoyne, Glenard, Glenbryn etc.

breenbox

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2011, 10:29:54 PM »
The only coalmen I remember lived either on Etna Drive, or the bottom of Stratford Gardens/Etna drive. They were built like bulls, I think they were Father and Son. They delivered all over Ardoyne, Glenard, Glenbryn etc.

That's probably Hughie Taylor and his son. They did live in Stratford Gardens.
I think he had a yard off Glenview Street or somewhere around the 'Bone', where he kept his lorry.
He was a small man, but like you said, he was built like a bull.
You'll never plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

glenb

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2011, 10:36:44 PM »
Breenbox, that sounds right

MAY ALLEN CRAWFORD

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2011, 10:57:44 PM »
DO YOU KNOW EDWARDS OR SAVAGE FAMILY  ESTEROIL PARK AND LADBROOKE DRIVE 1950/60

DMW

« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2011, 07:26:03 PM »
Arder  - I did'nt come from Ardoyne - but my brother in law Jimmy Walker did - Born on Enfield St 1929, moved to Mossvale (aged 6) then to Glenbryn Parade in 1936.
He married my sister in 1951 (his mates said he "married "UP" cause she was from Sydenham). We now live in Hamilton,ON. Canada.  I will print this thread off for him to see if he recall anyone

DMW

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2011, 03:01:39 PM »
Arder - just to follow up on my last message -(by the way I did'nt get to finish it properly as I had leave for an appointment)  I said my broter in law's mates said he had "married up" when in fact she(my sister) was the one when she moved from a 100 year old row house in Sydenham to a 16 year old(failry new!!)house on
Glenbryn Dr.  directly behind his parents- which is what a lot of people did-- stay close to where their parents lived -- did'nt want seem like a pompass idiot.

arder lavery

Do you remember Annie McCaffrey's shop?  It was just outside the school gates in Brookfield Street.  She had a sister and a brother behind the counter as well.  They were old then - that would have been in the late 50's. My Granny would send me there for "fegs" and Annie or her brother or sister would wrap the change up in brown paper so I wouldn't lose it.  There was also a shop in Hooker Street near Butler Street.  I would get my "Pay" from my Granda on a friday night and then run up to that shop to buy plastic rings.  Remember it as if  it were yesterday. :smile:
i used to go into that shop all the time, i used to buy the wee tubes of fizz with the licorice stick, or my favourite was the wee bar of honeycomb covered with chocolate for thrupence. yum
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE