Author Topic: record shops  (Read 2784 times)

manuesophie

record shops
« on: May 21, 2010, 03:08:06 AM »
 Apart from Good Vibes, which ones would you recommend?
I've heard of one called Hector's House but can't find it , has it closed down?
Thanks for your help
Emma

[email protected]

Re: record shops
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 04:06:21 PM »
Yes its closed down it used tobe at the bottom of lower North Street If you were walking up Lower North Street heading towards Royal avenue about five or six doors up from the co op travel shop there is a second hand shop that sells lots of things and they have a few hundred LPs in there. Are try Smithfild market. I myself go round the car boots.   

manuesophie

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 06:10:53 PM »
okay, thanks for your reply!

ontheboats

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 06:26:59 PM »
In downtown Belfast I think theres only HMV in Castle Junction and one round in Smithfield beside Richer Sounds. Its sad, but no doupt at least partially caused by people like me buying off the internet for the last 10 years.

teragram

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 11:22:26 PM »
Apart from Good Vibes, which ones would you recommend?
I've heard of one called Hector's House but can't find it , has it closed down?
Thanks for your help
Emma

I would recommend a music shop in Winetavern St at the side of Smithfield. If it's old stuff you're looking for, this is the place. I think it might be owned by Terry Hooley.
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

chink

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 04:26:04 AM »
teragram a very good shop if he dosnt have what your looking for he will order it for you   do not know the fellas name but very very helpful

teragram

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 11:18:03 AM »
Great shop chink. I sometimes have a look in the window when I'm down that way, and ye could stand for ages looking at all the stuff from the 40s 50s and 60s. Terry Hooleys shop in Howard St and Hectors House in lower North St had the same kind of stuff in their windies, music that you'd normally find very hard to get.

mrs mourinho

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 08:34:50 PM »
the shankill rd had a wee record shop called spin a disc    :girl_blum:
always look on the bright side of life

Monsa

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 12:04:27 PM »
Great shop chink. I sometimes have a look in the window when I'm down that way, and ye could stand for ages looking at all the stuff from the 40s 50s and 60s.

Hello everybody,
i just wanted to say, obviously i am not the only one standing and starring infront of the window of this shop. :)

teragram

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 12:18:56 PM »
Hello Monsa and welcome to the forum. Let me know the next time you're gonna go down to look in the windy and I'll  go down also, but I'll stand inside and look out at ye.

James James

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 01:34:51 PM »
the  Shankill Road had a wee record shop called spin a disc    :P

Ninox

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 02:22:55 AM »
There's a new record shop opened a month or two ago, on that wee street down the side of Castle Court which leads round to Bank Square. Strange Victory, it's called. Haven't been in yet, it's been closed every time I've been passing. Hopefully it's not gone already...

There's a fella st St George's Market, Andy, who has some decent second-hand stuff too.
I'll have a think cos I know there's a few other record shops still going in the city centre, but nowhere near the amount there once were.

Ninox

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 04:24:08 PM »

Had a wee think there, and the current places I know of to buy vinyl in Belfast are:

- HMV, Castle Place - big chain store, all new stuff. Good range but can be very pricey.
- Strange Victory, Berry St (off Royal Avenue) - small independent store, new and secondhand. Haven't been in yet so dunno how dear it is.
- Voodoo Soup, Winetavern St - independent, mostly secondhand I think.
- Premier Records, Gresham St - Ireland's oldest record shop, I think they say? Some vinyl, though mostly CD. Some cassettes still, too.
- Atomic Collectables, North St - some boxes of second hand vinyl in with the rest of their stuff, bit more 'charity shop' grade though.
- Octopus' Garden, Wellington St - as above, general retro collectables, clothes, CDs and vinyl. Some decent stuff downstairs, but upstairs is all just scratched James Last LPs.
- Smithfield Market - think there's still at least one place in there with plastic crates of old records.
- St George's Market, Fridays/Saturdays/Sundays - stall in there with a good range of secondhand discs and some more expensive rarities.

Various charity shops around the city centre also sell old LPs and 7" singles, but quality can be a bit patchy. Oxfam in Ann St are among the better ones, also the branch on Botanic Ave.

If anyone knows of any other record shops currently going, please add them!

I'll try and pull together a list of record shops that are no longer going, and see if anyone else remembers them...

James James

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 05:27:13 PM »
Record players are now widely available that can play records and digitise the audio and convert it to an audio format computer file and save it to a computer.  https://www.whathifi.com/advice/how-to-digitise-your-vinyl-collection

Some record.music shops would probably offer a similar service.