Author Topic: taxi drivers 25% rip off  (Read 36133 times)

EllCee

Re: taxi drivers 25% rip off
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2010, 11:20:58 PM »
G, my father refused to use any taxis after he was charged £10 from Arthur Square to Dundonald in the early 1970s.  He didn't know any better, not being a regular taxi user.

I've used a taxi often to get from the radio club to home.  Some of the routes the drivers have taken are obvious long distance rip offs.  One guy took me from Strandtown via Cromac Street.

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

widz

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2010, 11:23:52 PM »
about 17 years ago I took a taxi from Belfast City Airport to Newtownbreda.. I shared it with a  Filofax yuppy from London who got dropped off on Dublin Road...he was charged £7.... I got dropped off at Newtownbreda...£3.... I asked the taxi driver if he had made a mistake...."na, yir man from England paid for most of your trip"..he chortled and roared off :D

So i have to share with tourists...good thinking G ;) :D
Widz

Support the Milltown Babies Campaign!

widz

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2010, 11:25:29 PM »
G, my father refused to use any taxis after he was charged £10 from Arthur Square to Dundonald in the early 1970s.  He didn't know any better, not being a regular taxi user.

I've used a taxi often to get from the radio club to home.  Some of the routes the drivers have taken are obvious long distance rip offs.  One guy took me from Strandtown via Cromac Street.

EXactly :angry2:

Widz

EllCee

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2010, 11:29:33 PM »
Widz, I live in Newtownbreda.  So from Strandtown to Newtownbreda vis Cromac Street is quite a detour.

I'm not at all behind telling them the route  ... it's exactly 3 miles! 

From the Crown Bar to my gate, is just less than 3 miles   to make it exactly 3 miles, you have to go to, or from, Inst!

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Giannineo

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2010, 11:32:48 PM »
you cannot be careful enough Les.... I took a mini cab from Heathrow to Welwyn Garden City ..1988...the driver stopped in a layby and got out a map... he asked me for directions....smelling a rat , I asked him what the  fare would be..."""Errr £76"...aye right..I asked him to drop me back at Heathrow Terminal 4.... this he did and took my bag out of the boot  and had the nerve to ask for a tip..he was obviously not licensed...by great chance  I spotted a peeler out of the corner of my eye.  I said to him I would ask the peeler what would be the appropriate tip...he slammed my bag on the ground and drove off.... I phoned my host in Welwyn and got a taxi for £21.....taxis in Greece are another matter ... cost depends on whether you want air conditioning on or off..think that the air con reduces the m.p.g.....on a Greek island we asked for a fare to a small village....guy said it would be half price if he could stop at his aunties on the way for a few minutes...it was like Belfast to Carrick for 600 drachmaes... £1.20 at that time, 1990.

EllCee

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2010, 11:36:43 PM »
I've had Libyan taxi drivers who called at their own homes and got 4 of us snacks and cold Pepsis before driving us the 120 miles we want to go to from Benghazi. Maltese drivers who have taken a mixture of Sterling, American and Libyan notes and coins to get me from the airport to where I was staying.

bobdenn

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2010, 11:48:46 PM »

Years ago, whilst on holiday in Malta, the wife and I got into a taxi and the driver said he had another fare to pick up and would we mind if he made a short detour.

We ended up pulling up at the side of a church and he asked me to give him a hand. We went in and just inside the door was a huge 6 foot statue of the Madonna, which we proceeded to push into the back seat of the taxi where my astonished wife was told to hold onto it.

He had to open one of the side windows so that the Madonna's head was sticking out. The Madonna was delivered to a bar which was quite near our hotel and we helped him take it inside where we were greeted by about 20 Maltese who insisted that we stay for a few drinks.  Of course it would have been churlish to refuse.  ;)

We never did get charged for the fare.

:D

EllCee

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2010, 11:52:42 PM »
Bob, wonderful people.  We went there twice a year for about 5 years, and my wife just had to phone from here to get anything arranged   flat, taxi at the airport, hire car, food and drink for our arrival.   :smile:

Pity they've joined the EU.   :(

bobdenn

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2010, 12:13:58 AM »

Les,

We went there for a wedding anniversary and stayed at a hotel called the Meilliah Bay (think that's the correct spelling).

Absolutely outstanding hotel at that time, with superb food and great staff.  I don't know what it's like now.

I wouldn't mind visiting again.  Everyone spoke English and they drove on the left side of the road.  Malta is steeped in history.

;)

EllCee

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2010, 12:23:37 AM »

Les,

We went there for a wedding anniversary and stayed at a hotel called the Meilliah Bay (think that's the correct spelling).

Absolutely outstanding hotel at that time, with superb food and great staff.  I don't know what it's like now.

I wouldn't mind visiting again.  Everyone spoke English and they drove on the left side of the road.  Malta is steeped in history.

;)

I know the hotel.  The last meal I had in Malta was in Melliah, in a restaurant on the corner at the top of the hill in the main street, a week before my mother died.  Olde worlde place, with lots of dark wood tables and beams.  I didn't enjoy the meal because it "didn't feel right".  I learned a few days later that that evening my Mum had been taken to the UHD.  We always had a bit of telepathy between us.  :smile:

We usually stayed in Bugibba.  I could go into many shops, bars and restaurants there to be greeted by my name, and a bottle of Cisk lager put on the bar.

widz

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2010, 01:06:25 AM »
I loved Malta and the taxi men are summit else..We were once brought, en route to our destination.... to a funeral. We waited in the car then we were ushered out to pay our respects..didnt even know the crator fgs.. we were only going to the market :(  He had the cheek to charge us!
Widz

widz

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2010, 01:11:57 AM »
In London 10 years ago me and my disabled mate gets into taxi, gives hotel address, and quite literally taken on this long tour, gets out and lo and behold there was the taxi place, where we stepped into taxi, on the other corner! :swoon:

I spotted it just as i was about to pay the dear fare!

Needless to say he never got paid and he threatened us with the police (he was greek)...i flagged down a passing police car and says your man wants you....haha ....the greek says it was a mistake and drove off!...Unbelievable!
Widz

BigAgiesMan

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2010, 09:15:50 AM »
I wonder do all the people who are supporting the taxi drivers and encouraging people not to use the discount card support their local off license (if there are any left) and not buy the cheap booze from the supermarkets. I know it's not a like for like comparison but it does raise the issue of competition, gaining an advantage, and driving other competitors out of business.

The Fonacab management actually don't benefit from this, they are paid a weekly fixed amount from each driver. There's too many taxis. Would a driver rather have four fares at a discounted £7.50,(£30) or two fares at £10 (£20)? ::)
Bord na Móna

widz

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2010, 10:22:04 AM »
Hhhm cant wait to hear from some taxi men on the forum or those that spake on their behalf :smile:
Widz

Deedeeg

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2010, 01:45:19 PM »
So some of you seem to think that it is acceptable for a person to lose 1/4 of their wages and get no say in this. I wonder if you would be so happy if it was you. There is no evidence to suggest work has increased, if you listen to the guys they say they have noticed no difference in the amount of jobs. They are just getting paid less for the ones they do. No-one suggested that the management of fonacab benefit but nor are they put at a disadvantage because of it, the drivers depot rent pays their wages.
I have had bad experiences with people in all sorts of jobs but because some people on here have  had a negative experienace with a taxi driver they see this as fair, catchg a grip some of those experiences cited wrent even in this country.