Author Topic: Whats your hobby?  (Read 2847 times)

TheShakyShamrock

Re: Whats your hobby?
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2007, 01:08:22 AM »
Sorry to interrupt the wine tasting chat (I have nothing to contribute to it as I was reared on buckfast, or Lurgan Champagne as it is fondly known, from a young age having grown up in Co Armagh.

I wanted to tell you about my new hobby.  It's called poi dancing, or also known as fire spinning, and derives from the traditional Maori dances where the men used poi (maori for 'ball') to improve coordination, balance and strength.  Eventually the women adopted it as part of a national dance with soft poi made from cotton (like pom poms).  Its kinda seen as a form of juggling these days.

Somewhere along the line the poi got combined with fire and now the hippe traveller types are hurling it around their heads all over the world.

The Crescent art centre started courses in it last year and I signed up in January.  The course has just finished and if anyone is interested they are enrolling now as far as I know for the next course.

If you just wanna come and see the pretty patters there is a fire gathering at 10pm every other tuesday in the crescent park.  Next one is not next week but the week after.

Here's a couple of links as well to help explain it. (with and without fire)

http://www.playpoi.com/

http://www.uberevents.org/?q=node/45
No man is an island...unless his name is Madagascar

ardieB

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2007, 09:54:16 AM »
Only two main hobbies for me apart from the usual (reading,photography,local history,crossword and sudoku puzzles)  :

Motorcycle restoration. Current project is a 1974 Laverda Montjuic. Total engine rebuild and conversion to cafe racer style.My last project was a Ducati 250 Desmo and I recently sold a Kawasaki KH400 which I bought as a basket case,luckily the exhausts were in good condition as they are as rare as hen's teeth.

Gardening. Just removed a 60 year old cherry tree and have replaced it with a Shadblow (Snowy Mespilus).Was recommended to me by a friend in Manitoba who said they are a popular species in Canada and North America so I hope it does ok in N Ireland soil.It has very beautiful flowers when in full bloom but early days yet.

ardie

scattybatt

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2007, 11:24:16 AM »
Sorry to interrupt the wine tasting chat (I have nothing to contribute to it as I was reared on buckfast, or Lurgan Champagne as it is fondly known, from a young age having grown up in Co Armagh.

I wanted to tell you about my new hobby.  It's called poi dancing, or also known as fire spinning, and derives from the traditional Maori dances where the men used poi (maori for 'ball') to improve coordination, balance and strength.  Eventually the women adopted it as part of a national dance with soft poi made from cotton (like pom poms).  Its kinda seen as a form of juggling these days.

Somewhere along the line the poi got combined with fire and now the hippe traveller types are hurling it around their heads all over the world.

The Crescent art centre started courses in it last year and I signed up in January.  The course has just finished and if anyone is interested they are enrolling now as far as I know for the next course.

If you just wanna come and see the pretty patters there is a fire gathering at 10pm every other tuesday in the crescent park.  Next one is not next week but the week after.

Here's a couple of links as well to help explain it. (with and without fire)

http://www.playpoi.com/

http://www.uberevents.org/?q=node/45

I did guitar lessons in the Cresent arts centre years ago, it a brilliant place so many interesting and unusual courses. Maybe I'll drop down to see the fire gathering, I love anything thats a wee bit different!

MAgeeka

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2007, 06:13:56 PM »
I still play a enormous amount and teach privately
Although I get paid I still consider it as a social hobby.
My other interests are as you are aware, fishing ,hunting gun collecting, birds and landscaping  I am now in the planning and study process, of purchasing a really good metal detector.  One  that can be used in water and differentiates between junk and valuable metals

greyghost

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2007, 08:50:30 AM »
G'day all, Nice to see you all...
I'm lucky because all of my hobbies are my business as well.
Computers, web-design, and photography.

Some of my photographs can be found here http://community.webshots.com/user/greyghost_nz
Dorothy O'Donnell (nee Simmons)
www.odos-photos.com

MAgeeka

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2007, 04:13:49 PM »
Ah G G
Great to have you back lady Was worried about the absence
Missed your posts and good craic Thanks for letting us know all is well
M

Christopher

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2007, 04:21:35 PM »
Does addressing problems qualify as a hobby ???

JohnKelly

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2020, 04:42:20 AM »
Restoration of Vintage Buses, Tractors, Trucks and Motorbikes,

The following post started in Sandy Row which was way off topic and so I've decided to merge into Hobbies,

Hi all the farm I work in is mostly horses that have retired from raceing we also have sheep so it's not that hard I also help to rebuild old tractors we are in the West Country near Bristol and Gloucester it's a good life I injoy hope you are all keeping well and don't forget your shopping list Liz xxx

You help to rebuild old tractors!! - coming from a rural background I have an interest in antique tractor restoration and belong to a couple of tractor forums.

I know of a farmer in country Victoria who has a shed full of old tractors that would be worth a fortune and I would love to get my hands on one to restore. I have photos of them all and here are a couple of examples of one of my favourite which is the Fordson Major E27N.

I know, change of topic from Sandy Row to Vintage Tractors ::)

There is a company in Northern Ireland that does tractor restoration and has a very interesting website,

http://www.kearneyvintagetractors.co.uk/

Hi John Kennedy, you mentioned you were starting restoration on a Grey Fergie, how is it going?

Willum3

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2020, 03:49:17 PM »
Computer gaming, golf and painting.