Author Topic: does anyone remember oranges academy ??????  (Read 31522 times)

floral

Re: does anyone remember oranges academy ??????
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 11:38:29 AM »
Three of my sisters went to Oranges Academy.McGivern was the name
Maggie

What year did they go, the name rings a bell with me must get my thinking cap on.

Mitcher

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 01:31:51 PM »
The Institution premises became a Youth Club in the early seventies when Ignatius Rice Youth Club moved there when their premises closed down in Marquis Street

irish colleen

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 04:02:48 PM »
I went in 61 I think it was getting older and those things just don't stick (hated school) and did not want to be a legal sec as my mum wanted I wanted to be a hairdresser (I did that) after I left school then moved to bangor I think I rememberthe mcgivens there was also a girl called oxo her name was octavia lived in ardoyne
HAPPINESS IS BEING IRISH

terency1945

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 05:08:48 PM »
A few of my friends went there in the late fifties/early sixties - I believe the official name was "Oranges Civil Service Academy".

irish colleen

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 05:15:39 PM »
I thought it was Oranges Academy Commercial College when I went Iknow it was still owned by the colemans then
HAPPINESS IS BEING IRISH

Lillikins

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 07:05:09 PM »
Yes, I remember it well too. A great wee school. Greta Coleman was the boss in Institution Place and I think her brother PJ took care of the boys school in Chapel Lane.  Could this have been the first integrated school in Belfast? They had pupils from all religions go to it. I remember that every Friday around lunch time - pupils had the choice to either go to a designated class for religious instructions for about an hour  (depending on what their faith was) or they could leave early and head on home. Friday afternoons was our half day.  ;)  I attended Oranges in the early sixties too.

irish colleen

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 07:47:12 PM »
yes I do remember getting out early on Friday I also got in trouble with my mum for going with afriend  to chapel a few times (yes it was a catholic?prod school and it was just girls and that is why my mum sent me there too I went to Mountcollyer for a year and then I was sent to Oranges great days growing up in belfast
HAPPINESS IS BEING IRISH

floral

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 08:20:51 PM »
I went in 61 I think it was getting older and those things just don't stick (hated school) and did not want to be a legal sec as my mum wanted I wanted to be a hairdresser (I did that) after I left school then moved to bangor I think I rememberthe mcgivens there was also a girl called oxo her name was octavia lived in ardoyne

I remember Octavia Serroni (not sure of spelling)

irish colleen

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 08:40:11 PM »
Hello floral  I don't remember oxos last name I also remember a Milly that her folks were well to do but can't remember her last name either (remember carying your books in a gondola basket?) instead of a school bag and no uniforms that was the best part the no uniforms
HAPPINESS IS BEING IRISH

Lillikins

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 09:29:52 PM »
That name sounds familiar to me also - Octavia Seranni  or something of a similar sound? :scratch_ones_head:  Didn't she have a cousin called Olga?
It was great to have no uniform so we could wear what we wanted. The school - as far as I know - was Catholic owned but all religious denominations attended it. And the boys school was the same.

OLD ST.MALS GAL

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2010, 09:47:51 PM »
Attended there for 1 year about 1965/6.  Loved it, all that freedom and no school uniform.
Great craic travelling into town with all the boys from St.Mary's school  which was in Barrack St.
Think the name OCTAVIA that someone  mentioned  was actually a junior teacher at the school, she was a past pupil, remember she was very attractive girl.
Still remember lot of the names of other girls and it was first time I actually mingled with girls from opposite religion.
Good memories of the school.

OSMG

Lillikins

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2010, 09:55:58 PM »
OSMG - it was the first time that I too mixed with opposite religions at school. Octavia was a pupil when I attended so she must have moved up the ranks to become a junior teacher - good for her. Yes I have great memories of the school and the pupils/teachers. :good:

doare.

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2010, 10:22:42 PM »
its refreshing to hear past pupils of oranges academy , talk about how it was a great experience for them, i worked in the mills on the falls , and had friends from the shankill, they were great people, this was 1958 59, so it shows we forget the madness in one generation, if we are left alone,we can heal this present situation in one or 2 maybe, with good leadership.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

shamie

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2010, 11:14:44 PM »
My sister-- Mary Matchett went to oranges Academy--her fingers just fly over a keyboard. That would have been around 1962. I wish I had taken shorthand and typing.

floral

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2010, 10:08:02 AM »
Attended there for 1 year about 1965/6.  Loved it, all that freedom and no school uniform.
Great craic travelling into town with all the boys from St.Mary's school  which was in Barrack St.
Think the name OCTAVIA that someone  mentioned  was actually a junior teacher at the school, she was a past pupil, remember she was very attractive girl.
Still remember lot of the names of other girls and it was first time I actually mingled with girls from opposite religion.
Good memories of the school.

OSMG
Yes you are right about Octavia becoming a junior teacher it is all coming back now. Can you remember any of the teachers?