Author Topic: Dockers, casual and button. Silomen, Barnetts, Halls, West Twin.  (Read 41103 times)

grendelkiller

Ok just a question.  How many on the forum worked in the docks as either Dockers (casual and button). Silomen, Barnetts, Halls, West Twin.
Grendel is dead.

belle

Re: Dockers, casual and button. Silomen, Barnetts, Halls, West Twin.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
my daddy was a docker casual and button. he was also a tally man for years, (r.i.p)
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

grendelkiller

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 09:38:07 PM »
Worked with a lot of tallymen myself Belle.  Mickey Duff, Gerry Dickey, Bobby Dickey, Pat McCrory, Brian McCann.  A big man called Flemming. A wee man called Jackie and several more the names which I forget.
Grendel is dead.

belle

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 09:41:17 PM »
sadly, my dear daddy is dead now. his name was Mulholland from Carrick Hill originally.

grendelkiller

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 09:43:06 PM »
So sorry Belle.  How long ago was he at the docks?  I was there from 85 onwards.
Grendel is dead.

belle

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 09:45:45 PM »
ah love, my daddy died  22 years ago. he was at the docks in the 50's 60's and early 70's. i love to hear the dockers stories though, keeps him very close, so i hope you get loads of replys. :air_kiss:

Sally Ann

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 09:50:32 PM »
Wasn't a docker myself Ahmmm!  But spent many mornings on the picket line supporting my comrades workers during the big stike circa 1979 / 80! The only girl there!  Bobby Dickey was the Union Man then. Remember Maskey's, Jim McDonald, Valeley's from the Murph.

I don't think many understand the conditions the Dockers had to work under, let alone how they were being teated by the Bosses at that time,  to this day I still take my hat off to them one and all! :hi:
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!

grendelkiller

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 09:51:42 PM »
Thanks Belle.  My daddy RIP keep those stories alive for me.  I joined him at the docks in 85 with two uncles...they all left in payoffs very soon after.  So when I was in the silos I took a part time degree and as part of it was a project.  I interviewed my father on Dockers nicknames.  It was taped and now resides in the Royal Irish Academy in Dublin.  The important point being the way some dockers got those names.
Grendel is dead.

grendelkiller

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 09:55:15 PM »
Wasn't a docker myself Ahmmm!  But spent many mornings on the picket line supporting my comrades workers during the big stike circa 1979 / 80! The only girl there!  Bobby Dickey was the Union Man then. Remember Maskey's, Jim McDonald, Valeley's from the Murph.

I don't think many understand the conditions the Dockers had to work under, let alone how they were being teated by the Bosses at that time,  to this day I still take my hat off to them one and all! :hi:

Francie Valeley.  I think the youngest docker left.  Big Geraldo Quinn.  The mounty, The Duffs wow all good me.  An honour to work alongside them all.  And the Craic...nowhere in the world could you get better.
Grendel is dead.

kevben

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 10:14:36 PM »
both my father and elder brothers were dockers joe "whacker"benson and brothers louis and joe my dads brother john was a tallyman i believe because my dad had 1 of his tally books dont know if it is still in the family.my elder brother took the pay off in the 80,s.I can still remsmber the smell of the fishmeal off their clothes,it was definitely a hard way to earn a living, working in all weathers and maybe sometimes no work at all

belle

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 10:18:50 PM »
lets try and keep this thread going. the dockers of Belfast are second to none.

Sally Ann

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 10:24:04 PM »
Grende, Francis, lives facing me, yes they were all great men, and never got the recognitions they deserved.
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!

grendelkiller

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 10:30:43 PM »
Wow sally  ....francis. .is he still at the post office???? and ur right the work they did the hours they did they got nothing for it in the end
Grendel is dead.

belle

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 10:34:30 PM »
my granda and two uncles were also dockers. my granda was Peter Mulholland my uncles were Paddy and Peter. (r.i.p.) in fact i have seen a picture of Paddy on the New Lodge web site taken at the docks.

grendelkiller

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 10:46:05 PM »
my granda and two uncles were also dockers. my granda was Peter Mulholland my uncles were Paddy and Peter. (r.i.p.) in fact i have seen a picture of Paddy on the New Lodge web site taken at the docks.

okay Belle the names are so familiar.  .I got some old dock photos to post.
Grendel is dead.