Author Topic: Dockers, casual and button. Silomen, Barnetts, Halls, West Twin.  (Read 41104 times)

Bread Basket

Re: Dockers, casual and button. Silomen, Barnetts, Halls, West Twin.
« Reply #255 on: August 14, 2015, 05:01:03 PM »
Quite a few of the Bulkies in the film footage would have been in our parlour after the May Procession.  parents were Teetotal but my GreatGranda was a Berthing Master so the hospitality goes back many years, possibly to the late 1890's. One of the oldest families in the neighbourhood.

greatmemories

« Reply #256 on: November 25, 2019, 09:50:35 PM »
i remember working on a boat for guy burns it was,nt flour but like anyway,we were the 8oo box we had are wrangler jeans wrangler jackets doc martin boots. to get back to the boatwe were getting 7/6dirty money i stopped the boat from working.i said to guy burns we wanted 5pound a day dirty money,guy laughted and said stop talking telephone numbers i said if you don,t we are going home after two hours of toing and froing he agreed to the money.we started work on the boat after one hour a top trick from the union came a hard man.he said who stopped this boat from working.i said me.he said come down the shed when we got to the bottom the said what he was going to do to me.i said come on ahead but i was shaking in my shoes cut a long story short he said to the men ihave got youse 2/50a day i said 5 pound a day wes agreed i called guy i said are you renaging on the deal he said no you,ll get the five pound       wolf        ps their is more to this story

Bread Basket

« Reply #257 on: November 26, 2019, 09:44:46 AM »
Here you go, a memory for you.
Guy Burns at the bottom of Dock St / Garmoyle St end with his Steveadore getting the daily labour

greatmemories

« Reply #258 on: November 27, 2019, 01:32:40 PM »
Thank you Bread Basket.

My Dad Tommy O Neill worked for Guy Burns  at the docks, Probably one of the dirtiest jobs was when they were unloading fish meal....do you remember that ? or maybe it was before your time. Apparently one of the handiest jobs was when the Tomato Boats came in from Guernsey early finish!

Bread Basket

« Reply #259 on: November 27, 2019, 01:40:52 PM »
Thank you Bread Basket.

My Dad Tommy O Neill worked for Guy Burns  at the docks, Probably one of the dirtiest jobs was when they were unloading fish meal....do you remember that ? or maybe it was before your time. Apparently one of the handiest jobs was when the Tomato Boats came in from Guernsey early finish!

😂😂😂😂, very true, the place used to stink when the Fish Meal boats were in. The guys unloading were probably used to having a pint after work alone.... nobody wanted to smell the hum 🤮🤮

Used to raid the shed facing Clows Mill in Princess Dock St for oranages and bananas 👍🏼👍🏼

My Mother done a bit of cleaning in Burns Travel Agents in the 50ís / 60ís. Guy was reasonably ok but the ould fella Hugh was a bit of an ould goat.

On the off chance, are you an OíNeill from Marine St ?

greatmemories

« Reply #260 on: November 27, 2019, 03:34:23 PM »
😂😂😂😂, very true, the place used to stink when the Fish Meal boats were in. The guys unloading were probably used to having a pint after work alone.... nobody wanted to smell the hum 🤮🤮

Used to raid the shed facing Clows Mill in Princess Dock St for oranages and bananas 👍🏼👍🏼

My Mother done a bit of cleaning in Burns Travel Agents in the 50ís / 60ís. Guy was reasonably ok but the ould fella Hugh was a bit of an ould goat.

On the off chance, are you an OíNeill from Marine St ?

Hi

My dad originally came from sailortown, then moved to Lancaster Street. Then to a few places afterward, a lot of their familys worked at the docks over three generations, Charlie, Jimmy, some of his sons Terry, Anthony, Michael.and a few others. My dad Tommy started at the docks circa 1927 at fourteen years old. I remember a dog called Sputnik in the early 1960s that the dockers used to feed named after the first Russian satellite. Also Kathleen Morrison who used to work at Burns travel agency. Also Jim Gough who was a bookkeeper etc for Guy and Hugh burns. Hugh Burns started of getting stevedore jobs whilst riding around on his Bicycle, he took the jobs that none of the Big stevedores really wanted. Guy Burns gave  me a  reference for my first Job interview. Guy and my dad knew each other since childhood they were lifelong friends

Bread Basket

« Reply #261 on: November 27, 2019, 04:22:46 PM »
Hi

My dad originally came from sailortown, then moved to Lancaster Street. Then to a few places afterward, a lot of their familys worked at the docks over three generations, Charlie, Jimmy, some of his sons Terry, Anthony, Michael.and a few others. My dad Tommy started at the docks circa 1927 at fourteen years old. I remember a dog called Sputnik in the early 1960s that the dockers used to feed named after the first Russian satellite. Also Kathleen Morrison who used to work at Burns travel agency. Also Jim Gough who was a bookkeeper etc for Guy and Hugh burns. Hugh Burns started of getting stevedore jobs whilst riding around on his Bicycle, he took the jobs that none of the Big stevedores really wanted. Guy Burns gave  me a  reference for my first Job interview. Guy and my dad knew each other since childhood they were lifelong friends

Kathleen was a stunning lady, dressed to perfection. She remained a family to us way after we left the area in 73 for the redevelopment.

greatmemories

« Reply #262 on: November 27, 2019, 04:53:02 PM »
Thank  you

Kathleen was a proper lady, and a thoroughly decent human being. She appeared in at least one  of  the annual calendars of the Burns family in the 1960s  Is Kathleen still     alive?

Bread Basket

« Reply #263 on: November 27, 2019, 06:05:31 PM »
Thank  you

Kathleen was a proper lady, and a thoroughly decent human being. She appeared in at least one  of  the annual calendars of the Burns family in the 1960s  Is Kathleen still     alive?
Iíll ask my sister in a day or so and get back to you.

greatmemories

« Reply #264 on: November 27, 2019, 06:10:19 PM »
Iíll ask my sister in a day or so and get back to you.

Thank you

deeply appreciated