Author Topic: Holidays in Portrush in 1950's and 60's.  (Read 7053 times)

Rosielee

Holidays in Portrush in 1950's and 60's.
« on: July 09, 2010, 08:28:20 PM »
Did anyone ever holiday in Portrush in the 50's and 60's. I spent my first holiday away from my parents in a caravan with 3 friends, it belonged to one of the girls parents and was on a site between Portrush and Portstewart, I was 17, I was only allowed to go because my brother and his friends were camping in the next field. We had a brilliant time Arcadia every night, mind you we had to walk there and back, and the weather wasn't great,
When we got older we used to go to Portrush at Easter and stay in a 'hotel' which was great fun.   :smile: :smile:

Giannineo

Re: Holidays in Portrush in 1950's and 60's.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 08:32:32 PM »
Rosielee...just to B.B CAMP    Sunday school picnics there...was at a wedding there last year..great venue beside the Arcadia...but.  Portrush is one very run down dump now :( :(

Johnny Carson

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 06:18:23 AM »
We went to a camp site there and the caravans were old railway carts done up ,we had a ball there on the cliffs and at the bottom at low tide the was a natural swimming hole in the rocks. i also remeber empting our waste over a cliff too but you had to watch the wind as me Da found out!lol

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 06:44:53 AM »
In the 1960s, we used to take a room in a house for a couple of weeks, just about opposite Brankins fruit & veg shop. You can see it here...

He used to be up at the crack of dawn every day bar Sunday, setting out the orange crates and his wares on top.

Astor

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 08:14:22 AM »
We never went to Portrush, except for the day out, but in the 50's we often went for a week to Portstewart and stayed in a guest house, lovely memories of playing on the beach there as a child :)
Que Sera Sera

dendar

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 10:29:51 PM »
hi rosielee i went to portrush in the summer with my family.we rented a place one summer with no flush toilet. as the only boy i was designated to empty the bucket.it was done by flashlight at night, digging a hole in the sandy soil  with everyone watching.playing down at the rocks,and going to  barry's amusements.
great memories.

Giannineo

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 11:08:02 PM »
We went to a camp site there and the caravans were old railway carts done up ,we had a ball there on the cliffs and at the bottom at low tide the was a natural swimming hole in the rocks. i also remeber empting our waste over a cliff too but you had to watch the wind as me Da found out!lol
Johnny, that may have been the Blue Pool round at Ramore Head direction...used to got there to watch Irleand's answer to Acapulco cliff diving-here are some holiday scenes from bygone days
http://www.downmemorylane.me.uk/Portrush%20P1.htm

oilyrag

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 09:59:38 AM »
as a family we also stayed in a wee caravan site between Portrush and 'Stewart, think it was called Ballyrae.Spent most of our time walking between the two.Remember Barrys well and the gale force wind which always seemed to be howling , walk around the corner and it'd blow the face off ye.Think we went by puffer train , the single carrage type from York St station , stick your head out the door window and you'd get a eye full of clinker from the soot.Last time we went to Port Stewart it was a big scene for the wind surfers and the board people who used para gliders....some went up but didn't come done , there's now an Irish connection on Iceland.
so drunk to hell I left the place , sometimes crawling sometimes walking

hcoid

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 12:43:13 PM »
Have to agree Portrush, where I have been living for almost 30 years now has become really run down. ....too many holiday homes, only a few decent shops, developers who bought property when it was cheap and now due to the recession can't afford to fix them up. At last the council are taking these developers to court. Local groups have been getting together and are painting up old buildings. We have a fantastic place here but more investment is required to bring Portrush back to the popular place it was all those years ago when I was a youngster and also caravanned along the coast road between Portrush and Portstewart. Anyone out there who could help would be most welcome.

Peaser

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 05:43:57 AM »
Did the Rosielee who posts here have the surname of Parks?

pajamo46

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 07:00:40 AM »
As a wee one in the 1950s I always thought Bangor was the most far away place you could travel to from Belfast. .then I discovered Portrush. .then Newcastle. They were the Norn Irish equivalent to the "Costa Brava" in them days....now the young uns travel all over the globe and think nothing of it.

Rosielee

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 12:46:54 AM »
No Peaser, my name isn't Parks, Rosielee is a made up name !!!

Looking back to that holiday in Portrush, must have been around 1957, my brother and his mates were in a tent in the next field, as it rained they spent most of their time in our caravan, a knock on the door in the middle of the night, when their tent blew away,[size=78%] eight of us crammed in with no light except gas mantles, no heat, and a small cooker. but we managed with a lot of laughter, even got told off by the neighbours about the noise when we were learning the 'gay gordons dance'. The boys were very good one night after being at the Arcadia, one of them,[/size] :-* Carson, [size=78%]a real boy scout offered to empty the elsan, bearing in mind it was pouring he trudged down towards the cliff with us all following him, only to hear him scream and when we saw him he was covered from head to toe in the used blue elsan liquid, his lovely white shirt ruined. xx[/size] :-*

Brown low

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 08:47:49 AM »
Camped there with the BB for two weeks around 1957. Brilliant time. Farm outside Portrush. Last time I went there with the family was about 25 years ago and as we picknicked a fight broke out and a young man lost his life. Never returned.

Peaser

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 09:01:47 AM »
Johnny, that may have been the Blue Pool round at Ramore Head direction...used to got there to watch Irleand's answer to Acapulco cliff diving-here are some holiday scenes from bygone days
http://www.downmemorylane.me.uk/Portrush%20P1.htm
But does anyone remember Easter at Portrush in the early to mid 1960s. Fawcett's Hotel was the place to be. It was
always booked out at Easter but more people stayed there than had booked rooms. My memories of Easters at the Port
in 1962, 63, and 64 revolve around Fawcett's, and the Harbour Bar, and occasional forays in those waterfront boarding houses on....what was the name of that street....?

Rosielee

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 02:44:23 PM »
Hi Peaser,
I wonder did our paths ever cross in Portrush, I spent a couple of Easters there in the 60's we stayed in the Oakdene I think it was called - Ramore Head - a row of very nice hotels at the time, full of young people, ( my first taste of vodka was in one of those).

Don't remember Fawcetts where was that.

Spent most of the time parading up and down the High Street in and out of all sorts of places, best of all was the Arcadia loved it.
I also remember when my brother Stuart was camping in the Port, he used to go into the County Hotel every day for a bath how he got away with it I will never know !
Very happy memories of growing up in N. Ireland.  Margaret  :-*