Author Topic: Leisure World Shop  (Read 22833 times)

widz

Re: Leisure World Shop
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 07:50:21 PM »
I might be there though ;)
Widz

Support the Milltown Babies Campaign!

Jimmi

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 04:54:38 PM »

I will be away to Spain this weekend so unfortunately I will not be able to make it
Hope you get better weather than we're getting! As Jim Royle would say, "Summer my [censored]!"
I once read that smoking and drinking were bad for you, so I gave up reading.

Jimmi

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 04:56:00 PM »
I might be there though ;)
Oh good, the talents arriving! Just need to get rid of the wife now, what slinky little number will you be wearing Widz?"
I once read that smoking and drinking were bad for you, so I gave up reading.

steventrain

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2010, 09:48:22 AM »
The Leisureworld store was open for business 9th September 1976 and closed end of April 1998 with 40 Jobs lost.

David Crowe was the Director of Leisureworld.

Have a look of Advert before 1980. Click no.16.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7786115.stm

BBC Video belfast 1978 Christmas included inside Leisureworld shop with Santa (time 02.27-02.52). ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7792046.stm

carbolicsoap

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2010, 10:21:55 AM »
The Leisureworld store was open for business 9th September 1976 and closed end of April 1998 with 40 Jobs lost.

David Crowe was the Director of Leisureworld.

Have a look of Advert before 1980. Click no.16.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7786115.stm

BBC Video belfast 1978 Christmas included inside Leisureworld shop with Santa (time 02.27-02.52). ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7792046.stm

Fantastic!
I think I'am in the video clip! (2:38) wearing a checked coat.

[email protected]

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2010, 12:22:53 PM »
I know a team of lads and in the 1980s/90s they made a weeklay wage out of Leisure World and in doing so helped the people of Belfast out with cheap toys, that usless door man from divis flats who iam not going to name he new to turn his head the other way  ;) ;) 

toadstool999

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2010, 02:03:04 PM »
I loved that shop. I used to take my kids there to pick what they wanted from Santa.
But my favourite memory is from when it was Romano's. We were there one night and my friend Geordie saw this nice looking girl standing alone.
"Would you like to dance?"
"Dance wi' ma sister, I'm sweatin' ".
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

cielestbleu

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2010, 03:59:08 PM »

Paddy Go Go

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2010, 08:17:01 PM »
Really used to love this shop, the little 'chicken toy' machine outside, the sloping entrance as you walked it.  Anyone else remember it as fondly as I do?  Also does anyone know why they pulled the building down- Queen's St seems so empty without it!

chris

Leisureworld was thee Christmas place....I miss it :( :( :(
LIFE'S FOR LIVING. PATRICIA.

carbolicsoap

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2010, 10:59:25 PM »
Leisureworld was featured on a BBC show yesterday (17 Dec) - took a couple of screengrabs:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5270881179/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5270881183/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5270881185/

Miss this place!

Nice to see the place again.
It's a shame that it's a carpark now. :cray:

David2010

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2011, 01:19:25 AM »
Hi all.  My dad took me to Leisure World every Christmas from the mid 1980's to the mid '90's.  I loved it.  When I close my eyes I can still see the toys on the shelves.  Just for fun I will try to recreate the experience with just my memories to guide me.

First we have lunch in the upstairs cafe inside Woolworths
The toys are on the same floor but we decide to save our money for Leisure World
We walk past the model shop
I look up and see a huge vertical sign saying 'Leisure World' in red and blue colours
I never look inside the shop windows because I'm too eager to get in
The entrance is like a magical tunnel which slopes all the way and the floor is red
There is a small puppet machine and a gorilla machine which drops toy eggs
I'm now fully inside and I look up above.  This place is huge!
As I recall there were many aisle
On the right - Girls toys
In the middle - Playmobil and Lego
On the left - (the vision is too blury for me to remember)
As I walk up the stairs there are display windows with adorable little doll house furnitures
I walk into a room which is full of retro toys (they were new at the time) and lots of Star Wars figures
I walk up a second set of stairs and there is a train set on the ceiling.  No kidding, actual train track nailed to the ceiling at the top of the staircase.
Now I'm in Heaven.
On my left are loads of Hornby trains and coaches.  I think I'll buy Smokey Joe.  Peep Peep
In the middle are radio controlled cars and scalextric racing sets
To my right are retro games and really old PC games.
I also remember somewhere inside, there were snooker tables and bikes and racing buggies

The great thing I loved about Leisure World was that we had no time limit.  We could run around and take as long as we wanted.

The really funny thing is, I have no memories at all of the cashiers or the tills.  I remember there was a new shop which opened across the road called Craft World and I would meet my sisters in there after I picked my toys.

I'm sorry it was destroyed. My Dad said the IRA set fire to it and the cost for repairs was too great and it closed.  He remembers when the old Smithfield Market was burnt to the ground with thousands of old records, books and victorian furniture going up in smoke.

river rats

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2011, 01:42:17 AM »
I worked in leisure world owned by Mr Taggaret I think or was he a director.
Any way I worked  in the craft shop owned by Mrs Ray Gibson she was a great woman and I loved her as a friend that is.
She moved down to a house in Lisburn lost track of her after that.Does anyone know of her now.
I worked with Roda Call her Husband was called Willie he worded for the Irish News.
In Leisure world I remember a girl call Shannie and her Boyfriend Brian
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

TheAristocrat

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2011, 11:24:35 AM »
Leisure world, one of my fondest memories. The atmosphere that it created was very captivating for children. I have yet to see anything like it ever again! I wish there was at least a remnant of it, that car park has defiantly denied us even that.

I was only seven years old when my father decided to move back to Ireland. For me it was a drastic change from South Africa. That photo of Leisure World in November 1993, I remember that well! I wish I could go back to that time. All the years I spent in Ireland were many of the best I have ever had. It's so sad to see so many of the landmark places of my childhood there disappearing. Woolworths, Leisure World, that shop with all the sci-fi paraphernalia, even my old primary school (Carr's Glenn) is to be, if it hasn't already been, demolished.

river rats

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2011, 06:56:38 PM »
welcome the aristocrat sure they cant demolish our memories that's what this site is all about memory lane is there for us all come in stay for a while chat leave a picture or two. 
The one thing you will find is lots and lots of friends who will be happy to share there memories.
have a great time and dont be a stranger
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

TheAristocrat

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2011, 07:33:46 PM »
Thanks for the welcome RiverRats, I can't believe my luck in finding this place! Very much a chance happening. Agreed on the memories, and it's great to see so many people keeping the spirit of them alive here :)