Author Topic: The Trouble with Northern Ireland -  (Read 20799 times)

lilylou

• Account Closed
Re: The Trouble with Northern Ireland -
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 08:13:44 PM »

It's like saying your opinion counts because you live on the Falls and the thread is regarding St Paddy's Day . It's ludicrous .

This is what you sound like .

doare.

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2010, 08:23:58 PM »
its important for people from all traditions to air their views, it is only by being free to do so can we work through it, i grew up in divis st, left in 1986, had friends from sandy row, and the shankill, have my opinions, but realise a lot have been hurt by the troubles, i believe we are in a new era, and the message is getting across, that we all have to live together, it will take a few generations to clear the debris from the past, IF WE LET IT,
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

Moonlight

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2010, 08:36:54 PM »
The trouble with the 6 counties is the people that DONT live in it but feel it is their duty to enlighen the world as to what it is like to live here!

You know..the know it alls :smile:

You wont ever know til you LIVE here huneys during ALL of the troubles!
As someone who left Belfast in the early 1970's, I think Widz does have a point.  The people who stayed and suffered through all the troubles are going to have a different outlook to those who left. There are bound to be more resentments on both sides of the people in Belfast. When you leave home it stays home for the rest of your life but you meet people from different cultures and religions and you realise there is good and bad in people everywhere.  It has been heartening to see the moves towards peace in our hometown but for some of us our lives are in another place and we can't come back.  In my case it is my 7 gorgeous grandchildren and wanting to be part of their lives that means going back home is not an option.  It makes me really sad to see some of the bickering of this Forum, sometimes disguised by supposed Belfast banter.  Why not agree to disagree and move on to one of the threads where there are some great laughs and some real Belfast craic and banter. No offence meant to anyone. :smile: :air_kiss:
Once sent out a word takes wing beyond recall

RabRow

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2010, 08:37:54 PM »
How then do we sort it out when the rhetoric of the past means still so much today.

The fools the fools they have left us our Fenian dead. And Ireland unfree shall never be at peace etc. In other words the war goes on.

The unionist reaction is of course no surrender,not an inch

I admire your sentiments,but I think we have to be realistic. Irish nationalists are very definitely not as Scots or Welsh nationalists. Their whole psyche is entirely different.

The blood sacrifice is all.

RabRow

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2010, 08:45:08 PM »
As someone who left Belfast in the early 1970's, I think Widz does have a point.  The people who stayed and suffered through all the troubles are going to have a different outlook to those who left. There are bound to be more resentments on both sides of the people in Belfast. When you leave home it stays home for the rest of your life but you meet people from different cultures and religions and you realise there is good and bad in people everywhere.  It has been heartening to see the moves towards peace in our hometown but for some of us our lives are in another place and we can't come back.  In my case it is my 7 gorgeous grandchildren and wanting to be part of their lives that means going back home is not an option.  It makes me really sad to see some of the bickering of this Forum, sometimes disguised by supposed Belfast banter.  Why not agree to disagree and move on to one of the threads where there are some great laughs and some real Belfast craic and banter. No offence meant to anyone. :smile: :air_kiss:

Don't mean any harm to you Moonlight,cause your attitude is good in its own way and I think people who put the things you mention first,then would probably be more inclined to 'bate the trail' when the going gets tough. Thats their choice.

Not often I would agree with Widz,but I'm with her on this one.

twocoats

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2010, 08:59:43 PM »
One can be an unbendable Bigot in Belfast or outside Belfast....

Fire burns. I don`t need to sit in the Fire to know that....

Rather that Stay in Belfast all these years it might do some people some good to live for a while somewhere else ( Not Spain on a Holiday) and see how the rest of the world perceives Belfast and Northern Ireland....

How dare anyone say that Exiles do not have the right to comment on Things Belfast.

Homophobia, racism, sexism, bigotry and sectarianism is still alive..

bobdenn

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2010, 09:01:21 PM »
TC,

Why bother?

:smile:

Skully

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2010, 09:07:46 PM »
Given that, according to Widz, I am a "know it all" I have to say he/she is talking tripe.   I do not need to have lived in the eastern European states, where murderous atrocities took place, to understand that the feelings of the different nationalities involved in such atrocities will remain and will be an influence on how they feel about and treat each other for the forseeable future.

Similarly, with regards to N.Ireland, I do not need to have lived there all my life, through the troubles or whatever to understand how the atrocities committed on and by both sides will have an affect for many years to come.
Do not walk behind me for I will not lead, do not walk in front of me for I will not follow, just [censored] off and leave me alone!

RabRow

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2010, 09:08:44 PM »
Everyone has the right to comment on Ulster...and many do. The plethora of books and media programmes is overwhelming. However,I think it is those who have soldiered on in their homeland regardless of the situation who carry more weight when voicing their opinions.

Thats how I would see it about any country in the world.

Moonlight

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2010, 09:10:44 PM »

Don't mean any harm to you Moonlight,cause your attitude is good in its own way and I think people who put the things you mention first,then would probably be more inclined to 'bate the trail' when the going gets tough. Thats their choice.

Not often i would agree with Widz,but I'm with her on this one.
But Rab Row, aren't we all the same at the end of the day, trying to earn a living, bring up decent kids, enjoy our retirement.  Life is too short for petty squabbles.  Some of the best threads on here are the memories of childhood and they show we all shared the same childhoods. All the funny wee sayings our mammies used, all the sweets we used  to like.   I have said I can see what Widz is saying but I can still hope we an all put our differences behind us and respect each other's opinions.  That's me the eternal optimist.  I repeat no offence meant to anyone. :air_kiss: :smile: 

Once sent out a word takes wing beyond recall

twocoats

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2010, 09:14:09 PM »
TC,

Why bother?

:smile:

Aye yer right...It was a moment of weakness.  ::)

lilylou

• Account Closed
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2010, 09:26:04 PM »
The only difference is that the ones who have left have lived and learned a differant way of life .They say knowledge is power, well travel broadens the mind and allowes you to see things with fresh eyes .I agree with you doare and some of what you say RabRow ,I do get where your coming from .

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2010, 09:26:31 PM »

the only two things wrong with Northern Ireland,  the politicians and the people !  :hi:                                                                                                                                                 

and the bigots... :angry2:

ALL same people. :D
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

RabRow

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2010, 09:28:51 PM »
But Rab Row, aren't we all the same at the end of the day, trying to earn a living, bring up decent kids, enjoy our retirement.  Life is too short for petty squabbles.  Some of the best threads on here are the memories of childhood and they show we all shared the same childhoods. All the funny wee sayings our mammies used, all the sweets we used  to like.   I have said I can see what Widz is saying but I can still hope we an all put our differences behind us and respect each other's opinions.  That's me the eternal optimist.  I repeat no offence meant to anyone. :air_kiss: :smile:

Oh I understand what you mean Moonlight very well indeed. And the things you speak of there I think shows your mindset. And good one it is. I think some or even most people would go along with what you say. But following that though to the end logic,then there would have been nobody at all here during the last 40 years. We would have all skipped off to the Republic or mainland Britain. But it doesnt work like that. There are people here who have had family,friends and loved ones killed,but they are still here. We know at the end of the day it will be the people here who will decide what sort of a life we want to lead. Thats the bottom line.

twocoats

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2010, 09:34:24 PM »
Here is the Trouble with Northern Ireland in a Nutshell...Todays Belfast telegraph..

An Asda employee at the centre of a row over The Sash is a double UVF killer who murdered two Catholic brothers more than 30 years ago.

Of course I live 8000 miles away and can`t comment on N.Ireland.  ::)

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/asda-worker-shot-catholic-brothers-in-the-head-14882346.html