Author Topic: wilton street ( shankill road)  (Read 69555 times)

jimbov

Re: wilton street ( shankill road)
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2011, 06:51:09 PM »
Nella did you ever know any of my family Verner & Bingham's
"The problem with you, son, is that all your brains are in your head" ( Shanks )

stevieboy

« Reply #121 on: March 31, 2011, 10:37:47 AM »
Can remember hiring out a bike from someone in Handcart Avenue, not sure who it was. Also someone who sold lollies and soft drinks by the cupful.

nella

« Reply #122 on: March 31, 2011, 01:20:49 PM »
Jimbov, the only Verners I knew were the mother and daughter who lived next door to my aunt in number 63 Canmore st.  The Bingham name rings a bell but thats about all.  My granny lived in Midland st her name was Ma Hill.Her son Tommy and my brother John Haveron started the flute band  The Sons of Shankill  ???? Might have got the name wrong !!!  Buttons Drumgoule ( not sure of the spelling) was in the band at the beginning,I see he passed away a few weeks ago. Nella...

jimbov

« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2011, 06:50:44 PM »
Nella I remember your granny and I know Tommy and John I remember the band your John led it Wearing a White shirt and a blue sash the kind that came from the shoulder down to the side I seen him last twelth leading another band and i was in a band with Tommy the NO SURRENDER a brakeaway from the Pride then it changed its name to the Shankill Loyalist. My uncle Charlie Bingham married Sally Haveron she is related to you. I also know Jacqueline Meeken i see her all the time 
"The problem with you, son, is that all your brains are in your head" ( Shanks )

nella

« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2011, 09:50:12 PM »
Hi Jimbov,I don"t know a Sally Haveron !  Jacqueline lives in Millisle this long time,she has just become a granny for the first time! Yes that was the band"s name,The pride of The Shankill ! Are you getting Sally Haveron mixed up with Sally McMeekin, Jacqueline"s mother?

jimbov

« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2011, 10:09:30 PM »
Nella i know jaqueline well i live in Millisle aswell and the Sally Haveron that married My uncle was married before her 1st husband died she was Sally Braden to her first marrage ? i dont know if the spelling is right. I have been down here 25 years now i remember her moving down i knew her when she came up to Minland st and Tommy hills son Thomas used to come up aswell he was also in the band along with his brother

gubby

« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2011, 10:49:42 PM »
the schoolboy photo  he would look quite grown up in long trousers  i went to school  in the forties  and we wore short trousers  untill we finished school  bit hard on the tall guys . g :smile: :smile:
g allen

jmcgran1965

« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2011, 04:11:04 AM »
Hello hendy(Tom) i always thought of you as an uncle of mine,i don't really remember you that well, but remember Alice fondly
i have memories of going to Aunt Lenas and Uncle Bobby's in Highfield
Came across this site googling and enjoyed reading your posts,give Alice a kiss from me and a big thank you to yourself for being a proud serviceman
Take care Jim
Hello Nella I'm Ethel McGranaghans (nee Hill) son Jim
hoping you are well ,seen a few of your posts and realise how hard it must have been at the time to be in a mixed marriage.
Here in England i married a catholic girl,have both catholic and protestant  children  and love all them the same.
I didn't forget my roots ,i just learnt to be more tolerant towards others.
I remember Wilton street and crossland street even though i was only about 6 years old
The Shankill is my home and always will be,even though i live in Salford
+

nella

« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2011, 01:20:13 PM »
Hello there Jim, nice to hear from you,say Hello to you Mum and Dad from me.  Julie...

Supermum

« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2011, 01:50:35 PM »
Supermom - can you tell me a little about your granny Maria Shaw?   Children...

Thanks Herbie

Sincere Apologies, didnt get notifications of these posts and only by accident came across it.  My granny was Maria Shaw married to George Shaw, they had about 8 children, 6 boys, George, Bert, Herbie, Bobby, Billy and Victor, and two girls Margaret ( my mum) and Eveline.   

I spent most of my childhood in Wilton Street, there used to be a shop at the top which sold curtain material and she always gave me a bag of " clippings" to make dolls clothes with!!

I went to " The NIck" sunday school, and spent all my pocket money in either Mary Cowans or Maggie Logans!!!!

We hired out bikes from the shop round at " the swings"   

Sorry again for delay in replying.

jimbov

« Reply #130 on: April 04, 2011, 04:35:29 PM »
Parker, Yes please tell Davy I was asking about him I have'nt seen him in years and hope
he is keeping well

top cat

« Reply #131 on: April 04, 2011, 07:29:17 PM »
does any one  no percy iron was a wee man fix irons a friend of bobby cameron argyle street. sold tvs with his brother charlie cameron .john cameron was a pidgeon man.

Ulster Canadian

« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2011, 12:39:03 AM »
Tommy Hill Snr. and his sons Frankie and Thomas jr where members of the pride of shankill, i believe both joined in 1965 john haveron was also in the pride of shankill but they all started up the shankill fusiliers a few years back.

The Pride of Shankill was formed from the Edenderry No' 2 Flute Band in 1962 after a disagreement with Edenderry No 1 Flute Band and some of the founding members of the POS were, Robert Hillis, Alex Orr, George Cole, Allister Cousins, Tommy Beresford, Buttons Drumgoole, John Baird, Nigg** McCann, Danny Godfrey, Crawford Brown and Billy Yates.

Thats what i've gathered so far on the POS.  ;) 

Any pics of the pride of shankill would be greatly appreciated.

Hendy

« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2011, 11:41:20 AM »
Hello hendy(Tom) i always thought of you as an uncle of mine,i don't really remember you that well, but remember Alice fondly
i have memories of going to Aunt Lenas and Uncle Bobby's in Highfield
Came across this site googling and enjoyed reading your posts,give Alice a kiss from me and a big thank you to yourself for being a proud serviceman
Take care Jim
Hello Nella I'm Ethel McGranaghans (nee Hill) son Jim
hoping you are well ,seen a few of your posts and realise how hard it must have been at the time to be in a mixed marriage.
Here in England i married a catholic girl,have both catholic and protestant  children  and love all them the same.
I didn't forget my roots ,i just learnt to be more tolerant towards others.
I remember Wilton street and crossland street even though i was only about 6 years old
The Shankill is my home and always will be,even though i live in Salford
+
Hi Jim, remember you and your sisters well, can you recall the time Alice and I came to visit you all in Salford, I was stationed in Chester at the time. I will tell Alice about your post.

nella

« Reply #134 on: April 05, 2011, 01:43:49 PM »
Ulster Canadian,I don"t think Tommy Hill snr started up any band in the last few years as he has been dead for about 14 years.  As for my brother John Haveron,I"m not sure but I don"t think he is in any band at all these days. He is 72 years old. I haven"t been in touch with Thomas jnr or Frankie for years so I don"t know if they are connected to any band.   Nella....