Author Topic: wilton street ( shankill road)  (Read 106118 times)

rose60

Re: wilton street ( shankill road)
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2010, 12:12:14 AM »
Hello  folks ....im from Wilton St ...born there ...a long time ago  ::) ....Well you ll   know by my name what age i am .I lived there till i got married 1966  ..It was a fantastic St ...long as someone said ...defiantly not the one in the picture ...but i did swing on the lamp like that outside  Mary Cowans shop ...I went to St Saviours school ...Wilton St  had everything ..Pub , pawnshop . chippy , two churches , hairdressers , bookies, about three corner shops ...i could go on and on ... Ahhhhhh those were the days 
You die if u worry u die if u dont so why worry

DOFFER

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2010, 12:25:50 AM »
Hello  folks ....im from Wilton St ...born there ...a long time ago  ::) ....Well you ll   know by my name what age i am .I lived there till i got married 1966  ..It was a fantastic St ...long as someone said ...defiantly not the one in the picture ...but i did swing on the lamp like that outside  Mary Cowans shop ...I went to St Saviours school ...Wilton St  had everything ..Pub , pawnshop . chippy , two churches , hairdressers , bookies, about three corner shops ...i could go on and on ... Ahhhhhh those were the days 

HELLO ROSE TWAS ME SAID WILTON ST WAS LONGER THAN ST IN PICTURE ,
ANYHOWS DO YOU REMEMBER THE WOMAN WHO RENTED OUT THE BIKES THINK IF I RECALL THESHOP ,HOUSE WAS ABOUT ON THE FIRST PART OF THE ST ON RIGHT HAND SIDE ENTERING FROM SHANKILL END  ::)
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

bangorian

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2010, 09:20:26 AM »
If I remember right, Mary Cowans Shop was directly opposite Nixon Street ( The Nick ), there was a shop directly oppsite Mary's, It was owed by 2 sisters ( That's what we were told when we were small, I don't think they would be called sisters these days  :unsure: :unsure: . I think it was Stewerts

nella

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2010, 01:25:04 PM »
Hi Bangorian, The Gilligiland's shop was opposite The Nick,they were 2 sisters and Mary Cowan was on the corner of Wilton and Nixon st, Did you know the McIllwaines who lived just down below Mary"s shop? It was a big family ! :smile:

nella

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2010, 01:28:40 PM »
Hi there Rose,I went to St Saviours as well. Remember Miss Young and Mr Black,Miss Armstrong,  Mr Pollock,Miss Burnside?

bangorian

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2010, 03:11:41 PM »
Thanks for the remider Nella, it's coming back to me now , I knew Sammy McIllwaine

irish colleen

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2010, 04:03:43 PM »
weeman  your last name wouldn't be Heald would it just wondering
HAPPINESS IS BEING IRISH

weeman

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2010, 09:56:40 PM »
That's correct. You've even got the spelling right.
Tom

stewie

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2010, 10:02:13 PM »
Flipping heck :swoon: never thought i would hear that street mentioned on here :swoon: think it has completely gone :( theres a dentist at the corner now :smile: i think i remember there used to be a bookies in Wilton Street :unsure:

irish colleen

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2010, 10:30:01 PM »
Well Well hello Tom Heald (hows your Grannie) ha ha ha  do you know who this is  IRISH COLLEEN ring a bell cousin how about you boy
HAPPINESS IS BEING IRISH

rose60

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2010, 10:31:24 PM »
Doffer ...yeah it was Osbornes beside the swings ..they hired out bikes ...the only ones i could ride were the big three wheeler ones ..if i could nag my poor old Mum for the money ...Miss Armstrong moved to Argyle St school ..i was in her class there loved her ..she was so into art not sums  hee hee ...She had a sister  they were both keen members of St Lukes church ..her sister played the church  organ ( played at my wedding ) ...Gillilands (Maggies) lovely lady .. she even gave tic ....It was Margaret and Mary Cowans ...was always a plesure going into their shop ..Mary had great sence of humour ...cant remember any snid remarks about them ...My Mum always had good opinion of them ...I was in love with Mary s nephew Richard Cowan ...we were only about 10 .. ahhhh  .Mcillwains  yes Dougie ....What about The Porters? (my cousins)  ....Wee Mrs Tully ?  The Byers ?  Vicky Mcgrath ? .I do go on abit dont i .. sorry  .I live in Scotland ..past 32 yrs   miss my old home town  :(  .sometimes  .. byeeeee
You die if u worry u die if u dont so why worry

weeman

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2010, 01:43:18 AM »
Well Well hello Tom Heald (hows your Grannie) ha ha ha  do you know who this is  IRISH COLLEEN ring a bell cousin how about you boy
Haven't a clue. :unsure: My granny is "1238 and still raising sons" ;)
Maybe you should give me a pm

weeman

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2010, 01:44:56 AM »
Guessing :scratch_ones_head:
Did you ever live in Bangor ::)

irish colleen

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2010, 02:38:47 AM »
that would be me  :scratch_ones_head: :swoon: :smile:
HAPPINESS IS BEING IRISH

Jimmi

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2010, 12:29:52 PM »
Back in the sixties, I knew a guy called Michael(?) Ferguson from Wilton St, lived near the Sunday School, and got called Penny Eyes cos of the NHS specials he wore! Also knew a Gilly White, but wasn't sure if he came from Wilton St or Urney St.
Does any of you new posters remember these guys?
I once read that smoking and drinking were bad for you, so I gave up reading.