Author Topic: Ewarts Row Belfast  (Read 8018 times)

Jan Sid

Ewarts Row Belfast
« on: August 17, 2010, 01:41:27 PM »
Does anyone have any info on Ewarts Row Belfast. My both sets of great grandparents lived at 95 & 108 Ewarts Row in 1926. I was wondering if anyone had pictures. There surname s where David Lamour and my other great grandparents where called William Shaw. Please email me if you have any info.

Jan Sid ::)   

brianjamesbest

Re: Ewarts Row Belfast
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 01:10:49 AM »
My Grandfather was Born at 11 Ewart Row, Belfast 2 Oct 1902 (William James Best).

His parents were James Best b.1879 and Sarah Best (nee Greer), b.1875 Co Tyrone.
Researching the families of Teeney, Clarke, Best, McCracken & Morrow.

brianjamesbest

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 01:14:12 AM »
Ewart’s Row, named after the mill owner and land lord William Ewart.
Possibly previously names Ewarts Street
Researching the families of Teeney, Clarke, Best, McCracken & Morrow.

smiler 2

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 05:24:20 PM »
hi   i  was  born  in  hillview   street  and  moved  to  ewarts  row  right  next   to  printers   my   mothers  name  is  margaret  martin   and   dad  george   my   granda  and  granny   lived   there   too   called   willy  moore  and   maggy  if   anyone   remembers   them   get   in   touch 

Dionysius51

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 12:01:47 PM »
Hi I lived in Ewarts Row from 1952 until 1968/9.  You should be able to find a fair bit of info on Ewarts Row on BF, there is a photo of V day celebratiions on the site with the people all tagged.  I remember Maggie  Martin and her husband, they lived a few doors up from the printers, Freddie lived on the other side of the street and worked in the printers.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep — not screaming, like the passengers in his car.. ;-)

jmac

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 09:01:11 PM »
hi   i  was  born  in  hillview   street  and  moved  to  ewarts  row  right  next   to  printers   my   mothers  name  is  margaret  martin   and   dad  george   my   granda  and  granny   lived   there   too   called   willy  moore  and   maggy  if   anyone   remembers   them   get   in   touch
Hi smiler & welcome to the forum,do you have a sister called Isobell & brothers Billy & George? :)
Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Ubique

sammyquirey

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 09:22:06 PM »
my granda came from ewarts row sammy  quirey

dprg101

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 05:00:47 PM »
My great grandparents lived at 13 Ewarts Row in 1900 just after getting married - John Reid and Ann Thompson, they'd moved out by 1907.

KatConnolly

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 04:25:29 AM »
Hi, 
My Grandfather was born on Ewart's Row.  They were the Connolly Family.  They lives at 8 Ewart's Row and 61 Ewart's Row in the early 1900's until the emigrated in 1912.  My Great grandfather was Samuel James Connolly (1871-1938ish) and he had two wives Maria (who died before 1905) and Elizabeth Coburn.  He had 5 children.  Samuel James, Elizabeth, Mary Jane, John (born in the US) and my grand father William Paul.  From what I have learned is many who lived on Ewarts Row worked at the linen mills.  I dont know if they were company housing but they may have been.  I am also looking for any information about what life was like living here and for any additional family members.

Good luck in your search
Kathleen

maura

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 07:56:16 PM »
Samuel James Connolly married Maria Martin 24th March 1894 Trinity Church of Ireland Belfast
Samuel James Connolyy married Elizabeth Coburn 12th Feb 1906 Saint Annes Church of Ireland

Samuel father's a James
Maria father's a James
Elizabeth father's a John

maura

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 08:01:15 PM »
Residents of a house 57 in Leopold Street (Shankill Ward, Antrim) Show all information
SurnameForenameAgeSexRelation to headReligionBirthplaceOccupationLiteracyIrish LanguageMarital StatusSpecified IllnessesMartinMary Ann28FemaleBoarderPresbyterianBelfast CityFlax Preparing DeptCannot read-Not Married-ConnollyElizabeth1FemaleDaughterPresbyterianBelfast City-Cannot read-Not Married-ConnollySamuel James30MaleHead of FamilyPresbyterianBelfast CityFlax RougherRead and write-Married-ConnollySamuel3MaleSonPresbyterianBelfast City-Cannot read-Not Married-ConnollyMaria26FemaleWifePresbyterianBelfast City-Read and write-Married

Residents of a house 61 in Ewart's Row (Clifton, Antrim)  Show all information
SurnameForenameAgeSexRelation to headReligionBirthplaceOccupationLiteracyIrish LanguageMarital StatusSpecified IllnessesYears MarriedChildren BornChildren LivingConnollySamuel Jas40MaleHead of FamilyMethodistBelfastFlax RougherRead write-Married-553ConnollyLizzie26FemaleWifeMethodistBelfastFlax PrepairerRead write-Married-553ConnollySamuel13MaleSonMethodistBelfastScholarRead write-Single----ConnollyLizzie11FemaleDaughterMethodistBelfastScholarRead write-Single----ConnollyWilliam2MaleSonMethodistBelfastScholarCannot read-Single

maura

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 08:03:47 PM »

Name of deceased Miss Maria Connolly  Last place of residence 109 Leopold Street  Age2 6/12 Years Sex  Date of death7 June 1902 Date of burial9 June 1902 Cemetery Grave section and number Burial TypeEarth Burial

Record details   
Name of deceased Mstr James Connolly  Last place of residence 52 Sydney Street West  Age6 Mos Sex  Date of death26 December 1896 Date of burial28 December 1896 Cemetery Grave section and number Burial TypeEarth Burial

Name of deceased Mr Samuel Martin  Last place of residence 52 Sydney Street West  Age16 Years Sex  Date of death6 December 1896 Date of burial8 December 1896 Cemetery Grave section and number Burial TypeEarth Burial

Name of deceased Mr William John Martin  Last place of residence 14 Oldpark Place  Age20 Yrs Sex  Date of death6 November 1899 Date of burial8 November 1899 Cemetery Grave section and number Burial TypeEarth Burial

Name of deceased Mrs Jane Shean  Last place of residence Leopold Street  Age25 Years Sex  Date of death10 June 1898 Date of burial12 June 1898 Cemetery Grave section and number Burial TypeEarth Burial

elsiehutchinson

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 01:05:17 AM »
hi i was born in ewarts row 1938 an there were lamours 2 families there was billy an wife bella an i rem david vaguly as i was young i rem jean was davids daughter an billys daughters was bell an nellie an lily an 2 sons 1 was billy an the other jim i think billy died he lived about bowness st

elsiehutchinson

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 02:49:14 PM »
i rem connellys living in ewarts row was a maud i was very young at the time never rem her having any family she lived alone was friends of campbells from walton st  The houses belong to ewarts mill an were very poor standard i lived there until 1950s an we moved to everton st also a mill house but a bigger house an a bit better standard altho not great hope u get more info with ur search

rowan1952

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 05:21:02 PM »
Hi

Just adding to the list of residents of Ewarts Row.

My grandparents lived at 49 Ewarts Row when my Mum was born in 1927. My Mum was Roselea Rowan and her parents, William and Jane( nee Simpson) Rowan.

Also, my great uncle, Edward Rowan, is stated as living at the same address when his will was executed in 1941. Edward was killed when a torpedo fired by a U-boat sank his ship in 1940. The will leaves money to Margaret Rowan, widow, which I think is Edwards mother.