Author Topic: DONEGALL ROAD  (Read 359564 times)

andy

DONEGALL ROAD
« on: August 20, 2010, 08:25:25 PM »
ANDY HERE,    ANYONE FROM THE DONEGALL ROAD,  DO YOU REMEMBER OLD
                    BENTHAM ST,  UTILITY ST,  HUNTER ST,  MATILDA ST, IF SO
                    COME ON FOR A CHIN WAG,  AND LET US KNOW WHERE YOU ARE
                    FROM
                                                 [ANDY]
yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me

roy231

Re: DONEGALL ROAD
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 12:30:51 PM »
i remember hunter street club

ulsterdigger

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 11:31:02 AM »
hi Andy go to sandyrow on the forum quite a few from the tight end

ulsterdigger

lamazure

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 11:27:58 AM »
hi andy, i came from tavangh st in what is now known as the villasge.I remember all those streets well and more in sandy row. I went to the old St Simons primary school in the 50s. Love to hear from anyone else who knows the area as it was.

weemary

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 09:41:05 PM »
             Know  Utility street area well, lived there,also went to Mabel Street school place is so changed now, ::)

Leviathan

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 05:11:54 PM »
My elders were all from Hunter Street (Atcheson/McGivern).

gtwilson

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 08:17:26 PM »
Saw  posts from Donegall Road residents. I was born in Broadway Parade and went to St Simons school until 1950. My teachers were Miss Boyle and Miss Gurd. The Bog Meadows were a great playground in those days. Any one else remember those days?

lamazure

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 04:17:48 AM »
Saw  posts from Donegall Road residents. I was born in Broadway Parade and went to St Simons school until 1950. My teachers were Miss Boyle and Miss Gurd. The Bog Meadows were a great playground in those days. Any one else remember those days?
I remember miss boyle do you remember mr Tippin and Mr Blower, my brother also went to St Simons probably around the same time as you. Yes the bogs were our playground then where we waited for the lorries going to the tip to collect the copper, brass and zine to get a few bob of the dealers. Good times

JIM52

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 07:12:11 PM »

pre M1 days the gypsies lived on the bog medows and theirhorses used to wander the streets and eat the hedges in the gardens.

RabRow

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 09:42:25 PM »
Wasn't the Village flooded at one time,around about Glenmachan St.  I remember Beattie's Chippy and playing football outside Windsor Pk where the ground was just earth,stones,cinders and puddles.

JIM52

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 10:05:03 PM »
Wasn't the Village flooded at one time,around about Glenmachan St.  I remember Beattie's Chippy and playing football outside Windsor Pk where the ground was just earth,stones,cinders and puddles.
Beaties chippy had the best pasties only 3d.
We played football outside Windsor all the time (or it seamed like it) except when the carnival came for two weeks in the summer.
The ball would burst on the stones or glass but Percy's on the Lisburn Road sold "Wembley" footballs for 1/6d.

RabRow

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 10:22:29 PM »
Beaties chippy had the best pasties only 3d.
We played football outside Windsor all the time (or it seamed like it) except when the carnival came for two weeks in the summer.
The ball would burst on the stones or glass but Percy's on the Lisburn Road sold "Wembley" footballs for 1/6d.

Thats right about the carnival. I remember now. Think it was June when it was there. More cut and skinned knees than enough got then on that aul 'pitch' and climbing over the wall at Windsor to get the ball back or onto the railway line for it. :)

JIM52

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 05:28:48 PM »
Does anyone remember Fitzys sweet shop in Runnymede (off Tates Ave) or Johnstone the ice cream man ?

gtwilson

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 07:40:21 PM »
I remember a bloke called Sydney Chapman who wore his wellie boots turned down and started a new fashion trend in our street
George Wilson

andy

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 08:36:45 PM »
             Know  Utility street area well, lived there,also went to Mabel Street school place is so changed now, ::)

hi weemary,  i attended mable street pe school from 1940/47  then went to linfield till 51/52
 i lived in bentham street do you remember the knoxes,  ruby moore, any off the curries to
 name but a few,  my name is  bill anderson.
yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me