Author Topic: DONEGALL ROAD  (Read 359240 times)

RabRow

Re: DONEGALL ROAD
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 08:41:04 PM »
Does anyone remember Fitzys sweet shop in Runnymede (off Tates Ave) or Johnstone the ice cream man ?

Not sure about that 'un. But I remember a shop at the corner of the street next to Windsor Park and Donegall Ave. Think the man who owned it was a Mr Leeman. It later became the Linfield Shop for a while.

andy

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 08:46:54 PM »
hi andy, i came from tavangh st in what is now known as the villasge.I remember all those streets well and more in sandy row. I went to the old St Simons primary school in the 50s. Love to hear from anyone else who knows the area as it was.

hi lamazure,  i was born on the donegall pass, as a baby we moved to tavanagh street when i was 3 we moved to bentham street down the road a bit,  i joined the 38th B.B. when i was 8 and finished up at 18 i was a member off donegall road methodist church right up till my
 wife and family and i moved over to scotland in 1974 i worked for magees men tailors in
 lemberg street i was cutting manager they opened a factory in scotland and asked me would i move.
              yours   bill anderson     andy.
yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me

andy

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 08:56:43 PM »
My elders were all from Hunter Street (Atcheson/McGivern).

hi leviathan,  do you know or remember the stanfields or the lendrums they are my cousins
                   i remember the atchesons not sure about the mcgiverns,  tommy mccrumbs
                   the fruiter he had a house shop.  did your family members attend linfield int,
                   school??    my name is bill anderson,     andy.

andy

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 08:59:11 PM »
hi Andy go to sandyrow on the forum quite a few from the tight end

ulsterdigger

hi u,d,   i am in the sandyrow thread great stories on there
                        andy.

Sachs

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 12:59:01 AM »
Saw  posts from Donegall Road residents. I was born in Broadway Parade and went to St Simons school until 1950. My teachers were Miss Boyle and Miss Gurd. The Bog Meadows were a great playground in those days. Any one else remember those days?

My Grannie lived in 69 Broadway Parade.
My father and uncle went to St Simons but I think they were a little before your time. In fact my father used to joke that he was taught to count on a little individual blackboard and chalk.
He talked often about playing cowboys over The Bog Meadows. During the war years his well to do grandfather use to pick him and his brother up in his car. This was such an occasion (a car in the street) that all the kids in the street use to cheer them as they left.

Do you remember the sweet shop that would have been across the street from #69?

JIM52

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 08:14:39 PM »

Not sure about that 'un. But I remember a shop at the corner of the street next to Windsor Park and Donegall Ave. Think the man who owned it was a Mr Leeman. It later became the Linfield Shop for a while.
The shop on the Windsor Park side of Olympia Drive was orginally a chemist then a sweet shop before becoming the Linfield shop.Directly across the road on the other corner of the street was Leemans shop.Mr Leenman also owned the shops inside Windsor that sold crisps and sweets etc.

larry fleming

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 10:44:33 PM »
Wasn't the Village flooded at one time,around about Glenmachan St.  I remember Beattie's Chippy and playing football outside Windsor Pk where the ground was just earth,stones,cinders and puddles.
The 'Village' was flooded in 1970.  Every street along lower Broadway had water in it. I lived in Ebor St. It happened over a Saturday night when the 'Blackie' overflowed due to heavy rain.  My Dad called me at about 7am Sunday morning to get out of bed and when I looked down the stairs there was about a foot of water in the house.  ? How many people out there know how the 'Village' got it's name.  I do, but it will be interesting to see any responses.

yvonnehenderson

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 12:50:11 PM »
I spent every Sunday at my grandmothers Frenchpark St . They had a shop corner of Lecale St & Frenchpark St Jimmy Mannagh .I remember when I was little he had a stuffed bear in the shop ! I also remember well the gypsies on Bog Meadow and the horses running the streets

JIM52

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 08:51:42 AM »
The 'Village' was flooded in 1970.  Every street along lower Broadway had water in it. I lived in Ebor St. It happened over a Saturday night when the 'Blackie' overflowed due to heavy rain.  My Dad called me at about 7am Sunday morning to get out of bed and when I looked down the stairs there was about a foot of water in the house.  ? How many people out there know how the 'Village' got it's name.  I do, but it will be interesting to see any responses.

Anyone remember Tommy Kerr from Ebor St.?
Whatever happened to him ?

Sachs

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 02:49:49 PM »

I remember going over to my granparents in Broadway Parade that morning. I don't think their house was affected but according to my granda he was out there the night before battling back the Blackie. That must have bee between pints of course.

I would be interested to know the origin of the "Village" name.

ormeau bap

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2012, 10:31:54 PM »
Anyone,remember the allinghams from ebor st.

RabRow

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 03:21:21 PM »
The shop on the Windsor Park side of Olympia Drive was orginally a chemist then a sweet shop before becoming the Linfield shop.Directly across the road on the other corner of the street was Leemans shop.Mr Leenman also owned the shops inside Windsor that sold crisps and sweets etc.

You right JIM52. Was gettin my wires crossed. I knew a fella (forget the name) who came back from Australia and he moved into Leeman's shop and it was made into a home. Not sure if he converted it or it was converted before he moved in.

I knew a few fellas from around there Winston Rush and his brother. Trevor Watt,Norman Doherty and a few others. Some good times were had. :)

Didn't know Mr Leeman owned the shops inside Windsor.

JIM52

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2012, 03:30:09 PM »

You right JIM52. Was gettin my wires crossed. I knew a fella (forget the name) who came back from Australia and he moved into Leeman's shop and it was made into a home. Not sure if he converted it or it was converted before he moved in.

I knew a few fellas from around there Winston Rush and his brother. Trevor Watt,Norman Doherty and a few others. Some good times were had. :)

Didn't know Mr Leeman owned the shops inside Windsor.
We would be playing football outside Windsor when Mr Leeman came to refill the shops inside,he got the big gates open and got us to carry the boxes inside for a packet of crisps,usually Perri in them days.

RabRow

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »

I remember going over to my granparents in Broadway Parade that morning. I don't think their house was affected but according to my granda he was out there the night before battling back the Blackie. That must have bee between pints of course.

I would be interested to know the origin of the "Village" name.

It was flooded too in the 1950s up to near the foot of Tates Ave Bridge. Not sure how it got that name 'Village' I took it that it was because the rows of houses enclosed by the motorway,the railway line,Donegall Rd and Tates Ave/and Bridge sorta set them apart like a wee village on its own

I was told that before it had the name Chinatown. Maybe because of the Chinatown in America and it being sorta separate, or whether there was a few Chinese lived in that area of the Dunney for a while.

RabRow

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 03:34:23 PM »
We would be playing football outside Windsor when Mr Leeman came to refill the shops inside,he got the big gates open and got us to carry the boxes inside for a packet of crisps,usually Perri in them days.

I played football outside Windsor myself when it was mostly puddles,earth and cinders :)  Then in June the fun fair came and we couldn't get playing.

Think Mr Leeman had served in WW2. I remember there was some talk about him being at Dunkirk. Not sure.