Author Topic: DONEGALL ROAD  (Read 370113 times)

muckles

Re: DONEGALL ROAD
« Reply #1830 on: October 18, 2017, 01:36:27 PM »

You could well be right Margaret, but it could also have been down to them and us. What I mean is irrespective of religion
there was also a barrier between "the haves" and the "have nots".  The working class and the fur coat brigades.
However the main thing is Leading Seaman McGuinness was a hero and lauded as such by those that matter from both
sides of the communities.
Regards Cookstown

Well Cookstown.

I like your terminology of class distinction.

On the subject of the working class and the fur coat brigade.  You are absolutely correct, as we have all, I am positive experienced that at some time.  However.
Seaman McMagennis was a hero ( no doubt about that).  Unfortunately, most from both sides of the communities disowned him for various  reasons. Very debatable.
It's not enough that we do our best;
sometimes we have to do what's required.
Go n-eírí an bóthar leat is do chasán cóngaír

harrydunn

« Reply #1831 on: October 18, 2017, 01:58:02 PM »
1940 street Directory 8 Ebor St Mrs Guinness, number 22 Majorca St William Maginnis labourer.

1951 Directory No 8 Ebor St Mrs Mc Guinness number 22 Majorca St Mrs Margaret Magennis.

LONE RANGER

« Reply #1832 on: October 18, 2017, 04:19:41 PM »
They should have made a movie about Blair mayne who I think was the most decorated in the british army in the Second World War. I liked Audie's movies but he was a light weight actor and was a bit of a header who carried a gun everywhere and wasn't afraid to threaten other actors.
         You know the yanks they played out their personnel life as thought they were in a movie .

cookstown

« Reply #1833 on: October 18, 2017, 08:01:40 PM »
just for all your information I now have a witness whose parents lived in Ebor Street at the same time as Seaman Mcginnes
which would back up the telegram sent to that Ebor Street address.  My witness lives in Australia with a previous address in
Ebor Street.  Within the past year I turned up another VC 2ww hero only this time he was Welsh.  He received the Vc in ww2
for carrying back casualities on his back under heavy fire.  His connection with Belfast was he met a local girl from the Donegall Rd area while stationed here.  They got married and after the war settled in Wales.  It is only recently that his heroism came
to light on a larger scale when somebody in Wales took a closure look at what he had done and mounted a PR exercise on
his behalf.  They now have a Memorial Park built named after him for people to reflect.  I would venture to suggest that there
arguably is an inference that those in the lower ranks were not afforded the PR that they deserved. However this little hero's
have my respect and I hope they are all sleeping in peace.
Cookstown

Livey

« Reply #1834 on: October 19, 2017, 09:21:00 PM »
If Dawson is still on the Forum would he please get in touc with Livey.
Livey  
Livey

Dawson

« Reply #1835 on: October 19, 2017, 10:44:12 PM »
Livey, Peter Dawson here. Just been informed about your post on this thread.

scotland

« Reply #1836 on: October 21, 2017, 03:15:06 AM »
Hi all you folks who posted some time ago about John Freeburn /Flash  anyone heard of him lately? Often wonder how he is doing ?  Cheers M 😊

normalynne

« Reply #1837 on: October 21, 2017, 07:40:17 AM »
I have been doing research on my mother's side of the family with a view to writing a book and they seem to have lived at Matilda Street No. 213 for quite a long time.  They later lived at 25 Donegal Gardens when my mother was alive.  Are there any census after 1911?

CMcG

« Reply #1838 on: October 21, 2017, 08:44:23 AM »

I have been doing research on my mother's side of the family with a view to writing a book and they seem to have lived at Matilda Street No. 213 for quite a long time.  They later lived at 25 Donegal Gardens when my mother was alive.  Are there any census after 1911?

After the 1911 all Ireland census, there was no such census in 1921 for rather obvious reasons.  The next census in post partition Northern Ireland  was carried out on 18/19 April 1926, however the census returns were pulped during WWII. There was no 1931 census of Northern Ireland. A limited census of Northern Ireland was conducted in 1937, limited in terms of some information being omitted (eg. occupation), I'm not aware of any plans to release this and a default 2037 release should be assumed until there is any indication to the contrary. There was no 1941 census of Northern Ireland.  The next full census of Northern Ireland was in 1951.

My understanding is that PRONI holds the 1939 National Register for Northern Ireland and the records within are accessible under FOI legislation, if you are able to specify the address, you should be provided with information about all of its inhabitants EXCEPT those who would not yet have reached 100 years of age (ie. if still alive) - for anyone who would now be less than 100, you must provide proof of death before their details are released. The FOI Act is applicant blind, anyone of any nationality can apply.  Contact details are here:

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/contacts/contacts-az/public-record-office-northern-ireland

CMcG

« Reply #1839 on: October 21, 2017, 08:56:22 AM »

... My understanding is that PRONI holds the 1939 National Register for Northern Ireland and the records within are accessible under FOI legislation, if you are able to specify the address, you should be provided with information about all of its inhabitants EXCEPT those who would not yet have reached 100 years of age (ie. if still alive) - for anyone who would now be less than 100, you must provide proof of death before their details are released. The FOI Act is applicant blind, anyone of any nationality can apply.  Contact details are here:

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/contacts/contacts-az/public-record-office-northern-ireland

Here is a link corroborating what I've just said, with an online enquiry form to submit to PRONI.

http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/1939-national-register.html

normalynne

« Reply #1840 on: October 21, 2017, 09:46:49 AM »
After the 1911 all Ireland census, there was no such census in 1921 for rather obvious reasons.  The next census in post partition Northern Ireland  was carried out on 18/19 April 1926, however the census returns were pulped during WWII. There was no 1931 census of Northern Ireland. A limited census of Northern Ireland was conducted in 1937, limited in terms of some information being omitted (eg. occupation), I'm not aware of any plans to release this and a default 2037 release should be assumed until there is any indication to the contrary. There was no 1941 census of Northern Ireland.  The next full census of Northern Ireland was in 1951.

My understanding is that PRONI holds the 1939 National Register for Northern Ireland and the records within are accessible under FOI legislation, if you are able to specify the address, you should be provided with information about all of its inhabitants EXCEPT those who would not yet have reached 100 years of age (ie. if still alive) - for anyone who would now be less than 100, you must provide proof of death before their details are released. The FOI Act is applicant blind, anyone of any nationality can apply.  Contact details are here:

Thank you yet again!  Norma-Lynne

Highway66

« Reply #1841 on: November 02, 2017, 03:48:46 PM »
It's great to see that so many people recognize the very brave actions of James Magennis no matter what religion he was. I thought you might like to see a copy of the letter that was sent to his Mother. It spells out his very Heroic actions. I spoke to an elderly lady who used to live in Ebor Street and she told me that there was a great home coming party held in Ebor street upon JJs return home.

cookstown

« Reply #1842 on: November 02, 2017, 04:54:32 PM »
very good highway 66.  The telegram from Basil Brooke and your letter will be kept in the proper place for a long time to
come to allow this man the full and proper recognition he deserves.

Regards Cookstown

scotland

« Reply #1843 on: December 02, 2017, 02:30:36 AM »
Hi Boops will be in touch with you dear friend very soon Love from Scotland M☺☺

scotland

« Reply #1844 on: December 04, 2017, 02:42:30 AM »
Hi Normalynne lived in Matilda St number 167 from mid 50,s to early 70,s if any help Cheers M☺☺