Author Topic: DONEGALL ROAD  (Read 359235 times)

Sachs

Re: DONEGALL ROAD
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2012, 02:40:59 AM »
Before the war  and before the family moved to Broadway Parade my father lived on Frenchpark Street.
 I remember him telling me that one of the neighbours was a very old man who was an ex solider and he claimed to be a survivor of the Charge of the Light Brigade.
My Dad I think really wanted to believe him but he wasn't sure. The math for the story could be just about right. It would be cool if true.

andy

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2012, 09:22:13 PM »
Before the war  and before the family moved to Broadway Parade my father lived on Frenchpark Street.
 I remember him telling me that one of the neighbours was a very old man who was an ex solider and he claimed to be a survivor of the Charge of the Light Brigade.
My Dad I think really wanted to believe him but he wasn't sure. The math for the story could be just about right. It would be cool if true.
hi sachs,  my g/father was a soldier at the charg of the light brigade and my father was in the 1st world war,  and both always said war solved nothing
yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me

andy

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2012, 09:30:36 PM »
The 'Village' was flooded in 1970.  Every street along lower Broadway had water in it. I lived in Ebor St. It happened over a Saturday night when the 'Blackie' overflowed due to heavy rain.  My Dad called me at about 7am Sunday morning to get out of bed and when I looked down the stairs there was about a foot of water in the house.  ? How many people out there know how the 'Village' got it's name.  I do, but it will be interesting to see any responses.

hi larry,  did you know the roberts who lived in ebor street he was a member off the 38 b.b.
             he had a sister margaret.

Sachs

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2012, 01:46:24 AM »
hi sachs,  my g/father was a soldier at the charg of the light brigade and my father was in the 1st world war,  and both always said war solved nothing

Can't disagree with that.

By the way could your grandfather he the same old solider whom my father  talked about?

harrydunn

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2012, 05:41:39 PM »

hi larry,  did you know the roberts who lived in ebor street he was a member off the 38 b.b.
             he had a sister margaret.
[/quote

knew an Irene Roberts from Ebor st, chummed about with Marsha Jamison whose family owned the fruit & veg shop and sweet shop in Ebor St.late 1950s

arder lavery

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2012, 12:24:08 PM »
i lived in lecale street facing the monarch laundry for a while.
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

Jacqueline Watson

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2012, 02:29:47 PM »
Hi wee Mary. I also lived in utility street and went to Mabel st school in 1960 maybe we know each other! JW.

barry

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2012, 05:06:07 PM »

Anyone   remember   Biffo  (Clifford)  Maxwell   from   that   area  ????
THAT'S  THE  WAY  I  SEE  IT, THAT'S  THE  WAY I  TELL  IT.

shauneen

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2012, 06:22:37 AM »
hi i came from the donegall road coolfin street my name is patsy moreland i married frankie mccann

Jacqueline Watson

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2012, 10:04:31 PM »
Hi patsy, I lived in utility street, left there in 1969 to live in dunmurry.I now live in Nottingham , my maiden name was Rodgers. I think you may be a little older than me.,as linfield school became Blythefield school. My aunts and uncle went to linfield. Their names are Margaret and Thelma Mercer, twins. And Raymond Mercer. Margaret lives in Canada . Your name doesn't ring a bell with me, was your husband related to lynda McCann from Bentham street? I'm new to this as well so good luck. JW.

shauneen

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2012, 12:35:20 AM »
hi jacquelinei dont know what age you are i am 69 and i went to linfield school my friends were freda lowry and mavis and marlene did you know any of them i live in british columbia were in canada does you family live

andy

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
Hi patsy, I lived in utility street, left there in 1969 to live in dunmurry.I now live in Nottingham , my maiden name was Rodgers. I think you may be a little older than me.,as linfield school became Blythefield school. My aunts and uncle went to linfield. Their names are Margaret and Thelma Mercer, twins. And Raymond Mercer. Margaret lives in Canada . Your name doesn't ring a bell with me, was your husband related to lynda McCann from Bentham street? I'm new to this as well so good luck. JW.

HI J.W.   I LIVED IN BENTHAM STREET,  and i knew the mercers from utility street i attended
linfield in the late 40s early 50s finished up 51/52  my name is BILL ANDERSON, i used to go to school with bobby knox he lived in utility street.

desmond147

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2012, 12:53:01 PM »
hi everyone.i lived in coolbeg street,donegall road.knew all those streets,though not who lived there.went to linfield school,then kelvin.live in manchester now,for last 25 years,but still get backk "home".be good to hear from anyone round the area,my name is desmond campbell, i lived in 33 coolbeg st,awww,just a car park now.

Dawson

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2012, 01:07:01 PM »
hi everyone.i lived in coolbeg street,donegall road.knew all those streets,though not who lived there.went to linfield school,then kelvin.live in manchester now,for last 25 years,but still get backk "home".be good to hear from anyone round the area,my name is desmond campbell, i lived in 33 coolbeg st,awww,just a car park now.

Where you at Kelvin from 1961 to 1965 and in the same class as Acton, Bassett, Causby, Cooke, Croacker, Dawson, Duke, Frame, Fryers, Gore, Hughes, etc.????????
Did you serve your time as a painter??????

gismo

Re: DONEGALL ROADgnes
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2012, 11:58:44 PM »
i worked in the new city mineral water company it was on the last st on the left hand side of donegall rd coming up from the town just  before the railway bridge it was in the fifties i would travel on my cycle from the crumlin rd down agnes st then north howard st into albert st down mcdonnel st into roden st down to the donegall rd turned left and then right into the street the factory was on i cant rem the name of the st it was cool some thing can anyone rem the name gismo