Author Topic: DONEGALL ROAD  (Read 390507 times)

boops

Re: DONEGALL ROAD
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2012, 09:19:52 PM »
Bill ,
    Eileen Geegan is Ruby Moore's cousin .

andy

« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2012, 09:04:12 PM »
Bill ,
    Eileen Geegan is Ruby Moore's cousin .

thats a surprise!!  i didnt know that!!  are they still around?? on any off the sites,
  i knew eileen geegan married i think drew murry and he died off leukaemia which was
  sad,  do you know if they still sing or have they stopped?  eileen used to be a great
  gospel singer.  if you find out anything let me know
                             l.o.l.   bill    [andy]
yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me

boops

« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2012, 10:08:15 PM »
Bill,
   I have not seen Eileen since we were teenagers,she left the area before I did. .I think the family moved to the East side of Belfast.  I do not
know if she married Drew Murray or not  .Did his mum own a Clothes Shop on Donegall Rd., ? .I will ask my sister  about Eileen and get back to you ,if I find out anything !!!!boops

andy

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »
Bill,
   I have not seen Eileen since we were teenagers,she left the area before I did. .I think the family moved to the East side of Belfast.  I do not
know if she married Drew Murray or not  .Did his mum own a Clothes Shop on Donegall Rd., ? .I will ask my sister  about Eileen and get back to you ,if I find out anything !!!!boops
  thanks boops that would be great.
yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me

boops

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2012, 09:51:28 PM »
Bill, My sister and I were going down the Donegall rd., last week ...just passing  by the wall at Utility st., corner and she said 'do you remember when we used to think that was a big high wall and we had to scramble up on top  to see over it'...well I couldn't move for laughing because I still can't see over it but remembered the times we used to play on the ''Army Green''and used to wonder how it got it's name ,perhaps there had been an Army camp at one time or other? ,also when we hired  bikes from Bobby Walsh ,my mammy did not allow me to ride on the ''Dunny''so the army green was the furthest I cycled to, I would have to turn there before the main road started
and be satisfied riding round the side streets until my half hour was up....

Billy D

« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2012, 09:29:49 AM »
Although being from Utility Street, I never heard of ''Army Green''. Where exactly was the ground. I know that there was the Clay Hill at the other end of the street.  I have some photographs of Utility Street and Sandy Row but I don't know how insert image; must find out!

boops

« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2012, 10:47:35 AM »
Billy D,it was just a piece of ground at the corner, where Utility st.,meets the Donegall rd,we always referred to it as the army green ...maybe that was just a name the children gave to it at that time but I often wondered if there had been an army connection to it...perhaps someone else might  remember it!!!

Billy D

« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2012, 11:09:24 AM »
[/img]I can just remember the Old People's Club that had its official opening in 1953. There was an unveiling of a photograph of Robert McIlborough. The hall is no longer there and the photo disappeared long before the hall closed. I would love to get a photo of Robert  to go with his Autobiography. This is a photo taken in 1968. My mum, sister and myself are in the photo.

Billy D

« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2012, 11:14:02 AM »
Looks like my first attempt to insert image did not work. I will try again to insert the Utility Street photo:[/img][/img]

Billy D

« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2012, 11:45:25 AM »

Billy D

« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2012, 11:46:57 AM »
At last - Utility Street 1968.

Billy D

« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2012, 11:57:41 AM »
Was the Blackstaff Band from the Donegall Road area of outside Belfast? Any info?

notguilty

« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2012, 01:14:06 PM »
great photo of Utility Street 1969
think I can see Dusty Springfield, Ena Sharples, Jimmy Shand and more

Dawson

« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2012, 04:57:52 PM »
Was the Blackstaff Band from the Donegall Road area of outside Belfast? Any info?

I'll have a guess and say the Grosvenor Road

Pennywhistle

« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2012, 05:30:35 PM »
At last - Utility Street 1968.

Hi, "Billy D",taking a wild punt here,but is that you on the platform?If so I believe your were my Officer in the Boys' Brigade,the 12th (?) in wee Primitive Street.I'd love to see a wee pic. of  the Church again,,if anyone has one!
" Kitchen house reared and still,rough as Purdy Oaten ".